Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Smoking S

Name: Smoking S
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Help with Piston and Cam Choice

I'm building a 98 Dodge 12 valve puller (pulling Only) and i am undecided on which pistons and cam i should go with. At what rpm should a billet cam become neceassary. Do they have problems breaking them? I sent my stock cam off to get ground by bullet cams, but i may not use it. I plan on trying to turn 5500 rpm and carry between 4000-4500 rpm going down the track, at events where the 4500 rpm limit is not in affect. As far as pistons, i have a set of FP diesel pistons that are suppose to be marine pistons. They have high compression though, 17.5-1, should i use these pistons and take some material off the top off the pistons(how much, 100 thousandths?) to get compression ratio down maybe to around maybe 13-1, 14-1, or 15-1. Or should i get another set? Suggestions and part numbers would be good. Thanks Skyler

Old 02-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
JW3

Name: JW3
Member`s Gallery
I love to recommend you something but I dont know anything.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Smoking S

Member`s Gallery
I guess i will just call a diesel shop and go with a billet cam... Just called the cam shop and said my cast cam came in two pieces along with the pvc pipe it was in. I don't think i will ever use UPS again

Old 02-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
KTA-Cummins

Name: KTA-Cummins
Title: Diesel Doctor
Member`s Gallery
5500rpm with a big p-pump you should be running a billet anyways. you dont say anything else about your setup or what class your running so I cant recommend anything else.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Smoking S

Member`s Gallery
Can someone explain more on what it takes to get one of these billet cams in the block.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
KTA-Cummins

Name: KTA-Cummins
Title: Diesel Doctor
Member`s Gallery
The block needs to be machined to either except the front cam bearing on every journal or machined for roller bearings, its your choice. The camshaft material has a tendency to want to bond with the block so you need bearings or bushings to prevent that.

Closed Thread