Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 11:48 PM   #21
regcanfan

Name: regcanfan
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I need to send in a sample to be sure, but like I said before, visually it looks clean. Dipstick has the same consistency up and down and when draining the oil there is no water that comes out first. Also, if I was to leave the oil for 5-6k it could start to show. The oil was fairly fresh when I first noticed the issue. I have changed it a couple times since, due to doing the head gasket and now the oil cooler.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #22
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Quinn, post #16 makes some sense.

Regcanfan, I am not a fan of "can cures" but there are some stop leaks out there that will probably fix this SHORT TERM, but chances are, it will get worse over time.

Mark.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #23
QMFB

Name: QMFB
Title: Fastest Welder in Texas
Member`s Gallery
Do the older heads have internal freeze plugs like the common rail heads do ?

Old 12-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #24
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
No they don't.
Had to go look to be sure, though.

There are some in the lifter galley, I believe.

On reflection, that would make sense as to why he has steam from the blowby pipe and little oil contamination, short term.

Mark.

Last edited by Mark Nixon; 12-24-2018 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Lifter galley?

Old 12-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #25
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
Not sure on the internal freeze plugs. When I had the head off I took it in to have it checked out. They pressure checked it and mangaflexed it and then did a valve job and surfaced it. The shop was just a napa machine shop, but has been around forever and has a good reputation.

As for for getting worse it seems to already be doing so. Not alot but a little. Regular driving say for 1/2 hour -1 hour you will get a quarter size glob on the floor after its shut off and cooling down. When running there is more pure antifreeze drips. This is real slow drops.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #26
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
Hell, I'm about to York Ne, maybe I should go a little farther and see if Mark has a block.

Bought this thing this summer thinking it was going to be a good deal. Wanting something to tug a trailer around for a year or two and get basically the same out of it that I paid for it. So much for that it's been sitting more than moving.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #27
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Pictured is the lifter galley on a 24 valve, which for all intents is the same as a 12 valve.
1 core plug is right behind where the vent tube would be.

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1545662589225-2136150957.jpg (318.5 KB, 0 views)

Old 12-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #28
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
If you need a block, then Mark's the man to see for sure... But I'd check/replace the oil cooler and/or gaskets first. You might get lucky and that be the issue.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #29
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
Pictured is the lifter galley on a 24 valve, which for all intents is the same as a 12 valve.
1 core plug is right behind where the vent tube would be.

Mark.
Thanks Mark. I'm a common rail guy so not very familiar with the older engines.
That freeze plug there could possibly be the culprit.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #30
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by regcanfan View Post
Hell, I'm about to York Ne, maybe I should go a little farther and see if Mark has a block.
Sorry, I can't help you.
I scrapped about 3 tons of cast last week, with 3 12 valve blocks I'd been trying to sell all this year.

Mark.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:05 AM   #31
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
Sorry, I can't help you.
I scrapped about 3 tons of cast last week, with 3 12 valve blocks I'd been trying to sell all this year.

Mark.
No worries.

Newbie question, the fuel pump would need to come off to get the tappet cover off correct?

Old 12-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #32
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Injection pump definitely needs to fly, if you value your sanity.

Mark.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #33
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
That brought to mind probably about 7 or 8 years ago i was talking to a customer who had done dpf and egr delete on a couple of 6.7s. At that point I only had expirance of doing the dpf and egr valve and had just left the cooler on. I was asking him how hard it was to take the cooler off, and he looked at me and said nothing is easy on these piece of chit dodges

Old 12-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #34
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Can't argue with that!
Swapping a trans on this 98 I have, so I'll have 5th gear, now.
The last guys only had 2 of the original bolts for the crossmember and all of the carrier bearing support bolts were hardware store bolts.
They jerry rigged the trans isolator with a GM one and the driveshaft's a mess of welded crap.

Always something.

Mark.

Last edited by Mark Nixon; 12-24-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #35
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
Maybe someone could confirm right or wrong. On the passenger side of the block if there was a crack in a cooling jacket it would either go into the cylinder or to the outside. And on the driver side if cracked it would either go to the cylinder or the pushrod area.

There is no miss and it runs smooth. There is no pressure in the radiator causing it to push coolant out of the over fill or radiator. I feel like the cylinder walls have to be fine in reguards to that. So would that leave it up to basically the only are would be around the area which is shown in the picture Mark posted? It seems others have had some issues there as well.

Thinking if I get the pump off and the tappet cover off there maybe a good possibility that i could find the crack or a freeze plug issue. Sorry for bench racing, and if I'm totally wrong in my thinking let me know. Thanks again for the help so far.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #36
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by regcanfan View Post
That brought to mind probably about 7 or 8 years ago i was talking to a customer who had done dpf and egr delete on a couple of 6.7s. At that point I only had expirance of doing the dpf and egr valve and had just left the cooler on. I was asking him how hard it was to take the cooler off, and he looked at me and said nothing is easy on these piece of chit dodges
I don't know how much of an easier job you could do. I'd rather do that on the side of the road than change a tire with the factory tools.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #37
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Never any water in the oil pan when you drain after it's sat is weird. Guess maybe the plug or crack only expands when it's warm.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #38
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
Thats the thing, no vapor or drips until up to temp. My thought is once the thermostat opens it then has enough pressure to push through wherever it is getting through.

Also it will increase with rpm.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #39
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Heat and pressure open cracks or rust holes and loosen sludge/debris in the water jackets.

Water pressure in the block increases with RPMs, so it stands to reason that any leak should get worse with RPMs.

Mark.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #40
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
Started to pull the pump to night and going to peak behind the tappet cover. When i pulled the oil fill tube, the piece the screws into the crank case cover was kind of snotty from coolant contamination.

If it comes down to replacing the block, Ive found a coulple parts pickups. One is a 94 and the other is a 92 which has been ppumped. The 92 was an intercooled motor, will it be the same as a 97 block and the same pistons. I know the non intercooled have different pistions.

Closed Thread