Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
jkretzer

Name: jkretzer
Title: MegaCrank
Member`s Gallery
Love my ram but the dodge electrical sucks

Just need to rant. Been in love with the dodge ram body style since 94. Finally got my 98 in late 99, after playing and spending a bunch of money on hard parts I am at the point where I just want to get in and drive it. Electrical gremlins started showing up and they are driving me insane trying to track the source down. Issues are batteries drain if left connected after 4 days, parasitic draw test shows amp draw on the Iod fuse. Brake and 4x4 indicator lights stay on faint after key is removed, headlights and parking lights will only work together if I get the pull out knob halfway between positions, also reverse lights have power all the time. Cleaned all grounds i can find, inspected pdc wiring and harness for bare wire, new headlight switch, key and ignition switch, backup lamp switch on trans, new trailer plug. Check starter and alternator during draw test. Also pcm has been tested. Just needed to vent, I will figure it out eventually. However if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it

56 chevy shortbed restomod, 2wd, cummins 4bt,
nv4500.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
BCH

Name: BCH
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Not sure if this will help or not but a co-worker was going through same type of issues and it ended up being a ground lug somewhere around the gas tank. It was a gas powered truck so may not be the same but he cleaned it up real well and problem went away.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
GAmes

Name: GAmes
Title: Retired Apache pilot
Member`s Gallery
Get a factory service manual. It has all the wire diagrams. I prefer the paper version when chasing wires.

1998 Dodge Ram Factory Service Manual

The backup light should be easy. Unplug the switch on the transmission and go from there.

Don't get sidetracked by the headlight switch working when halfway out. They all will do it. When my park lights wouldn't illum with the headlight switch full out I traced it to a wire junction deep in a wire harness. I just wired around it.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
Chassisman

Name: Chassisman
Title: Gator Out...
Member`s Gallery
At some point I'm sure from vibration, age, and weather the insulation on the wires for the entire wiring harness will degrade and render everything useless.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
PPUMPFUMMINS

Name: PPUMPFUMMINS
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Ground under fuse box? ( Underhood)

Old 03-26-2019, 08:48 PM   #6
GAmes

Name: GAmes
Title: Retired Apache pilot
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chassisman View Post
At some point I'm sure from vibration, age, and weather the insulation on the wires for the entire wiring harness will degrade and render everything useless.
Uh, no. Not at 1.3 million all over the US and Canada, summer and winter, and 22 years anyway.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #7
Chassisman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmes View Post
Uh, no. Not at 1.3 million all over the US and Canada, summer and winter, and 22 years anyway.
Sooner or l8r it will happen. My ex drove a Mercedes convertible that had the insulation start to degrade she had it at the dealer so often for electrical work it just stayed parked there. Finally since they either wouldn't or couldn't fix it. Her dad tore the complete harness out and rewired the whole car then sold it.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #8
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
I see you’ve replaced your trailer plug but just thought I’d mention my experience. I had mine pulling the battery down and couldn’t find the problem. This was during daylight and all my searching of course was under the hood and around the cab. Finally, that evening I noticed my brake lights were on. Figured it was the brake light switch but it wasn’t. I finally found ONE strand of the always-hot wire in the trailer plug had come loose from the others and was BARELY touching the brake light lug.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:40 PM   #9
Chassisman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
Electrical sucks.....

That’s all I have to say.
Well done, sums it up perfectly.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:46 PM   #10
smoken02

Name: smoken02
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
It’s crazy the things that happen from a faulty ground. Not saying this is your issue since you say you checked them. I will say my buddy had some crazy stuff going on with his 01 Cummins. He ended up replacing the battery ground cable to the motor and it fixed it.

R.I.P
02 Dodge QC/SB 4x4, Drag Comp,BD RAD, ARP studs, DDP HRVP44, HTT 62/71/14,SDX 200's,Killer B, Goerend trans,Billet input shaft, Billet Flexplate, AirdogII 200gph pump
13.16 @ 104mph 1/4 mile

Aaron

Old 03-27-2019, 12:12 AM   #11
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Might try running test lead grounds from the dash to a battery too. Dodge switches grounds so a loose power wire anywhere can cause all kinds of weird things to happen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Closed Thread