Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 6.0 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

6.0 Powerstroke Discussion of the 03-06 6.0

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Extended Power

Name: Extended Power
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
'06 heads on an '03

I was just reading on another forum, that there are SEVERAL differences in the heads between the '03 and the '06s.

Can anyone say for 100% that you can use '06 heads on an '03 block?

Jeeezzzz, with my luck, I prolly just dropped over $1000.00 on a set of heads I can't use...

If It Ain't Broke...Fix It Until It Is!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Spectre32

Name: Spectre32
Title: Welding Extraordinaire!
Member`s Gallery
Well I know the oil rails are different. The 05+ have different ones than the 03's. I dont know if that means they have different attachment points or whathave you. Also I'm pretty sure that the ICP sensor is on the side of the engine(passenger side head) opposed to back behind the turbo. It hooks right up the the oilrail(if i recall correctly).

Old 04-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
BogginF350

Name: BogginF350
Title: Never Satisfied
Member`s Gallery
Ivan measure the dowel pin hole diameters and make sure they match your block. Otherwise just take one out and stick it in the head to make sure. Also check to make sure your injector hold down clamps screw in the head. Relax man.. Drink a beer.
08` reg cab 588/1180

Old 04-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
Droolinforparts

Name: Droolinforparts
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
i found this that there are step dowels to get that part to fit but not sure about the rest just skimmed the artical:

Cylinder Head Gasket Caution for 2003-2006 Ford 6.0L Diesel Engines

A cylinder head gasket caution has been issued for 2003-2006 Ford 6.0L VIN P diesel engines. This caution should be referenced any time head gaskets or cylinder heads are being replaced.

The manufacturer for this engine uses two separate facilities, one in Indianapolis, IN and the other in Huntsville, AL. While both locations build engines with the same critical data, three cylinder head variations have been used. There are engine serial number change dates to help in determining which cylinder heads were used.

The cylinder head gasket and locating dowels also changed in the 2006 model year to accommodate the increase in the dowel size from 18 mm to 20 mm. Using the wrong head gasket for the application will lead to engine damage if assembled that way. The revised dowel hole was made to accommodate the larger head bolts to be used in the new 6.4L diesel engine and was commonized for manufacturing purposes. The injector clamp design and associated cylinder head casting support area were also modified on the changeover date in early 2006.

If there is a difference in dowel hole size between the head and block, a special “stepped dowel” (p/n 6C3Z-6B041-B) is available to accommodate proper assembly. The cylinder head gasket and injector clamp versions are not interchangeable; they must be used with the corresponding cylinder head versions. Refer to Chart 1, to determine application.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Extended Power

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droolinforparts View Post
i found this that there are step dowels to get that part to fit but not sure about the rest just skimmed the artical:

A cylinder head gasket caution has been issued for 2003-2006 Ford 6.0L VIN P diesel engines. This caution should be referenced any time head gaskets or cylinder heads are being replaced.

The manufacturer for this engine uses two separate facilities, one in Indianapolis, IN and the other in Huntsville, AL. While both locations build engines with the same critical data, three cylinder head variations have been used. There are engine serial number change dates to help in determining which cylinder heads were used.

The cylinder head gasket and locating dowels also changed in the 2006 model year to accommodate the increase in the dowel size from 18 mm to 20 mm. Using the wrong head gasket for the application will lead to engine damage if assembled that way. The revised dowel hole was made to accommodate the larger head bolts to be used in the new 6.4L diesel engine and was commonized for manufacturing purposes. The injector clamp design and associated cylinder head casting support area were also modified on the changeover date in early 2006.

If there is a difference in dowel hole size between the head and block, a special “stepped dowel” (p/n 6C3Z-6B041-B) is available to accommodate proper assembly. The cylinder head gasket and injector clamp versions are not interchangeable; they must be used with the corresponding cylinder head versions. Refer to Chart 1, to determine application.

AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh CRAP!!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
SINNER

Name: SINNER
Title: BallSoHard U
Member`s Gallery
A good friend of mine just waited for 2 weeks for a dealer to get the stepped dowels when they replaced a early 05's truck's heads.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Extended Power

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogginF350 View Post
Ivan measure the dowel pin hole diameters and make sure they match your block. Otherwise just take one out and stick it in the head to make sure. Also check to make sure your injector hold down clamps screw in the head. Relax man.. Drink a beer.

Gonna be lots of that on Tuesday night!!! (It's Fly-Home-Day!!!)

Old 04-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
barry1me

Name: barry1me
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droolinforparts View Post

so according to this the 06 trucks have larger head bolts then the prior year 6.0L? And they also commonized the 6.0L head bolt to the 6.4L?

Old 04-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
BogginF350

Name: BogginF350
Title: Never Satisfied
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
so according to this the 06 trucks have larger head bolts then the prior year 6.0L? And they also commonized the 6.0L head bolt to the 6.4L?
No, but there is room for bigger studs.
08` reg cab 588/1180

Old 04-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Fast-6.0

Name: Fast-6.0
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Job 2 heads WILL go on 03's without anything special. Ford has a stepped dowel for this.

Elite Diesel Engineering

Closed Thread