California Diesel Owners

True Diesel

I did a thread for emissions, and now I would like to talk about what is legal Performance parts to be used in California licensed vehicles.

I have seen and hard performance manufactures claiming their new product is pending CARB approval for use. They also claim that their pending product will not get you a ticket nor will it fail at the smog testing facility. This is a grey area that can get sticky and nasty real quick.

There is no support for their claim. they may be getting info from the CARB saying it is Ok for their owners to use their product. The problem is that the CARB is not posting the diesel performance products on their list as approved or pending. Mater of fact there is no pending list for the smog Shops or DOT that I know of. if there is? some one post the Link. I have not found it.

If you have a new product on your vehicle and it is in the pending stages from the CARB you could be fine driving with it. after all there is really no enforcement right now. However; if you are due to get your vehicle inspected for pollution control. There is a great possibility that you are going to fail with that product even with the guarantee from the manufacturer, because it is not on the approved CARB list

seems like u have too much time wasted in this emissions bs and scaring people away from any fuel economy and performance. How can you be a "performance" consultant when pretty much all "performance" parts are "illegal".

My apologies

seems like u have too much time wasted in this emissions bs and scaring people away from any fuel economy and performance. How can you be a "performance" consultant when pretty much all "performance" parts are "illegal".

I am not trying to scare people away. I want people to have fun with their rigs. I don't want people in California ignorant and buy equipment that would possibly get them a ticket or loose their vehicle for excessive smoke. ETC... CHP can Impound a vehicle with illegal parts. As of right now there really is no enforcement of the rules. if the owner of the vehicle is smart. They might have kept the original parts, and if they have to be inspected. The truck goes back to stock, no problems till the manufacturers get smart. It is history repeating itself. just like in the 70's when the smog laws came around. Performance can be any thing. From getting more power, to diagnosing a loss of power. I can do both. You have a problem ask me and I will research it. then recommend a shop for you. If you want to speck a Turbo get that stock look with added performance, and still meet the requirements of a smog inspection. I can research and find just the group that can do that. I can also give you a formula for specking a turbo. How Good is your math? There is allot involved.

I am not trying to scare people away. I want people to have fun with their rigs. I don't want people in California ignorant and buy equipment that would possibly get them a ticket or loose their vehicle for excessive smoke. ETC... CHP can Impound a vehicle with illegal parts. As of right now there really is no enforcement of the rules. if the owner of the vehicle is smart. They might have kept the original parts, and if they have to be inspected. The truck goes back to stock, no problems till the manufacturers get smart. It is history repeating itself. just like in the 70's when the smog laws came around. Performance can be any thing. From getting more power, to diagnosing a loss of power. I can do both. You have a problem ask me and I will research it. then recommend a shop for you. If you want to speck a Turbo get that stock look with added performance, and still meet the requirements of a smog inspection. I can research and find just the group that can do that. I can also give you a formula for specking a turbo. How Good is your math? There is allot involved.

how just about do you go about specking out a variable vane turbo with out a lot of $ equipment?

Dont go lecturing me on what happened durning the 70's I was there. Cops dont have time to stop everybody. I'll just slide by like I did back then. I'm to old to worry about the f***ing enviroment. I'll be long gone before it goes to hell. This emissions **** is just another waste of tax payers money. Another way them big wiggs can control us.

Any and all performance products that have been submitted for E.O approval are sitting in limbo. Why? Because the state does not have an actual emmission test for diesel trucks. What's being done now is nothing more than an inspection. There's NO actual "sniffer" test in place. So the state has basicly told the aftermarket manufactures is that "you need to pass the emmission test or you can't get an E.O. number, but we don't have a test for you to pass so you can't get an E.O. number, so your parts are illegal." Any system that removes or disables the existing equipment will never be legal for use on the street however. While I can't speak for other manufactures, I know that we have submitted all of our products for testing providing the state comes up with a test. As it stands now a large portion of our products ALREADY have E.O. numbers on them and they were granted severl years ago. Those were issued under the federal testing guidlines. For example:

Intakes:
EO D-161-80
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-161-80.pdf

Power Packages:
EO D161-55,56,58,59
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-161-55.pdf

Here's a link to the test for the later models:

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-161-74.pdf

Last edited:
YAY!

Any and all performance products that have been submitted for E.O approval are sitting in limbo. Why? Because the state does not have an actual emmission test for diesel trucks. What's being done now is nothing more than an inspection. There's NO actual "sniffer" test in place. So the state has basicly told the aftermarket manufactures is that "you need to pass the emmission test or you can't get an E.O. number, but we don't have a test for you to pass so you can't get an E.O. number, so your parts are illegal." Any system that removes or disables the existing equipment will never be legal for use on the street however. While I can't speak for other manufactures, I know that we have submitted all of our products for testing providing the state comes up with a test. As it stands now a large portion of our products ALREADY have E.O. numbers on them and they were granted severl years ago. Those were issued under the federal testing guidlines. For example:

Intakes:
EO D-161-80
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-161-80.pdf

Power Packages:
EO D161-55,56,58,59
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-161-55.pdf

Here's a link to the test for the later models:

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-161-74.pdf

Once again a Banks guy solidifies my point. I have all the respect for Banks and his engineers. And he is Right!

Emissions

Dont go lecturing me on what happened durning the 70's I was there. Cops dont have time to stop everybody. I'll just slide by like I did back then. I'm to old to worry about the f***ing enviroment. I'll be long gone before it goes to hell. This emissions **** is just another waste of tax payers money. Another way them big wiggs can control us.

Bob your exactly right!
My apologies for making a statement that seemed like a lecture or offensive to you. My statement was to answer your question, and also to give enough info for others to respond and or ask a question. Hence the info from the gentleman from banks.
The banks Guy is more of a true consultant then I am. I do know my Diesels and have started on my own campaign to learn ECU systems and programs. Unfortunately; I am not getting much help in that department, So I am learning about them myself. Not easy. Have to learn about Lambda and Huge mathematics that get involved.

Last edited:
how just about do you go about specking out a variable vane turbo with out a lot of $ equipment?
There are a few thing to learn about variable vane Turbos. So far the easiest method is flash tuning. You have to know a person that can custom tune and calibrate you ECU for more out your turbo. or at least make it more efficient. Then before you reach the threshold of your turbo. You find a Shop that specializes in Turbos, Go from there. There is allot of math involved for all to work properly. Get the wrong thing and the wrong numbers you get problems.

I did a thread for emissions, and now I would like to talk about what is legal Performance parts to be used in California licensed vehicles.

I have seen and hard performance manufactures claiming their new product is pending CARB approval for use. They also claim that their pending product will not get you a ticket nor will it fail at the smog testing facility. This is a grey area that can get sticky and nasty real quick.

There is no support for their claim. they may be getting info from the CARB saying it is Ok for their owners to use their product. The problem is that the CARB is not posting the diesel performance products on their list as approved or pending. Mater of fact there is no pending list for the smog Shops or DOT that I know of. if there is? some one post the Link. I have not found it.

If you have a new product on your vehicle and it is in the pending stages from the CARB you could be fine driving with it. after all there is really no enforcement right now. However; if you are due to get your vehicle inspected for pollution control. There is a great possibility that you are going to fail with that product even with the guarantee from the manufacturer, because it is not on the approved CARB list

If I may ask, where do you get your information from and what are your qualifications? Do you have a degree? Are you ASE cert? You seem to know what your talking about even tho i thing that the whole theory of diesel emissions is shi* i would like to know more about who iam talking with.

Why did you PM me this info? Why not post it up on the board? This is something to be proud of and it makes people comfortable when talking to you here I will post it for you.

MY qualifications
U.S.Marine 3522 Diesel Technician
1994-1998

I hold an A/S Degree in Diesel Technology. and am currently working on my Bachelors.
General Studies have been Emissions, Performance, Bio-Diesel, and have just started studying ECU's and software.

I am not ASE Qualified and will be taking the test this summer.

Weather or not if anyone cares or believes me. I hate to see good folks getting tickets or spending good money on a failed emissions test. and your right IT is baloney.
Rustin

Thanks man

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the point of this thread? Most if not all diesel owner's are aware of "emissions" testing in CA If they're into installing aftermarket products, then they know most of these parts aren't "street legal" in CA, hell it says so right on the box.

It seems to me that the banks guy wasn't solidifying your point as much as he was clarifying a vague statement you made about other manufacturer's CARB cert. pending.

Back