Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #1
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Key FOB

Been having issues with my factory Dodge key FOB. The hot. Will beep but it will not unlock the truck. After changing the batteries there is no change.

My question is, can I make this a real key ignition? I’d like to get remote start on the truck but I don’t want two FOBs. But I’d be ok with a key and a FOB.

Any experience with this?

IMG_8200.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-03-2021, 05:18 AM   #2
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
TTT

Anyone have experience with this. The keyless entry is obsolete through Dodge.

Ideally I’d like to get a new ignition with real key and an aftermarket keyless entry and remote start.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:26 AM   #3
PSUCE

Name: PSUCE
Member`s Gallery
Only thing I had problems with in an '08 was the remote start wouldn't work when one of the rear door wires broke, it couldn't sense door lock so it wouldn't start. Not sure on your issue with not locking. Maybe similar issue with broken wiring?

Old 11-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #4
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCE View Post
Only thing I had problems with in an '08 was the remote start wouldn't work when one of the rear door wires broke, it couldn't sense door lock so it wouldn't start. Not sure on your issue with not locking. Maybe similar issue with broken wiring?
Rear door wires are hell. '09 this summer. All but like three or four wires were broke. You are correct. The remote start won't operate if it can't sense the doors. I just lengthened them all a tad. Dome light was my first clue the wires were broke when I opened the door and it didn't come on.

Click the image to open in full size.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2225[1].jpg (459.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2224[1].jpg (213.4 KB, 0 views)

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 11-03-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
My truck does not have remote start just keyless entry.

The issue is the FOB communicating with the truck. It doesn’t seem to be a FOB issue as neither FOB works with new batteries.

I click the lock or unlock button and absolutely nothing happens. No lock. I unlock. No dome light.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #6
PSUCE

Name: PSUCE
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
Rear door wires are hell. '09 this summer. All but like three or four wires were broke. You are correct. The remote start won't operate if it can't sense the doors. I just lengthened them all a tad. Dome light was my first clue the wires were broke when I opened the door and it didn't come on.
I did the exact same thing, then they broke off next to the solder joints.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post

Jory,

What is better for automotive, crimp or solder? I try and solder everything, some people say crimp is better?

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Old 11-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #8
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
Jory,

What is better for automotive, crimp or solder? I try and solder everything, some people say crimp is better?
As far as I'm concerned, crimp is better. It smashes the copper conductors and holds pressure on them. Solder from what I've read has a resistance several times higher than copper. It is much easier and faster to just properly crimp butt splices then cover with shrink. To solder properly takes good flux and that's usually messy. Solder sleeves are a combo of a shrinkable tubing with solder inside and works well if you flux the wires first, but it takes a decent heat gun to shrink them. Lots of good ways, but I normally just use a crimp splice and shrink. It can be debated back and forth. When bundle size is a concern, you can't do it any smaller than solder though. Really depends on the application. My harness above was a one hour deal because I needed it done so I could hit the road on time. It really isn't that pretty, but it is soldered and shrink tubed. I couldn't have gotten that many butt splices in the large boot.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:12 PM   #9
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
Why not just get crimp and shrink connectors. We do this all day long on automotive wiring and it's the most reliable.

83-4150 - Heat Shrinkable Butt Connectors - Crystal Clear, 22-18 Gauge

Old 11-04-2021, 07:27 AM   #10
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Those are pretty nice ^^^^^. We use the solder-sleeve type on aerospace and naval stuff alot. They work pretty well as long as you pre-tin and flux the wire ends.

Closed Thread