Cat 3208...

SHughes

Too much is never enough!
Can anyone teach me some basics?

Friends bought a house that came with an early 70's Ford dump truck with a Cat 3208 (no turbo) in it. They were told it was parked due to a broken driveshaft...Driveshafts are where they should be, nothing appears broken. But the air filter assembly is in the passenger seat...so that makes me think there is another problem.

This thing has been sitting for at least 15 years and we don't know why it was really parked in the first place. Where should I start to try to get it running?

Also, IF I can get it running it is mine to keep (sell). LOL

I'd start by changing the fuel filters, purging the fuel system, make sure the tank's clean, and then putting fresh fuel in it. Is it a HEUI system? Change the oil and filter, too.

3208 should be mechanical, goofy ass CAT injection pump.

Get fuel to it and crank her up. It will either run, or not.

When we have one sitting like that, I'll usually figure out where the fuel line feeds the engine, and take the hose off there, and drop it in a 5 Gal bucket of fuel. Bypass the tank, shitty old lines, and fuel filter if possible, just to rule out any bad fuel, issues, etc.

Then, once it's running, start going backwards to get everything right. 15 year old fuel, drain that junk, and put a new fuel filter in it for sure. That stuff will be sticky LOL

Chris

I'd start by changing the fuel filters, purging the fuel system, make sure the tank's clean, and then putting fresh fuel in it. Is it a HEUI system? Change the oil and filter, too.

3208 isn't HEUI, only the 3126E, early C7's and C9's were HEUI...and whatever the earlier C9 model was called maybe.

3208 is mechanical CAT pump...and the older 3150/3160 were different, but similar. They look the same unless you know what you're looking at.

Chris

X2 on the “It will either run or it will not” frame of mind. That’s the best plan of attack to have with a crusty old pump. And be prepared to be able to run faster if you do get it going; that thing was 175HP back when I was still in a diaper. LOL

Sleeve metering fuel system, solenoid shut off should be vertical out of the top of the pump.
As they said, isolated fuel source. Circulate some good fuel through it.
Leave the intake filtration off of it and have something handy to choke it out in case the rack sticks.

Someone forgot about the 3408 and 3412 heui.

Completely underwhelming engine in every way except longevity. I started one back in 07 that had been sitting almost 10 years in a scrap yard in an LC220 excavator with a demolition shear. Pretty sure I have spinal and emotional trauma from that machine.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Sleeve metering fuel system, solenoid shut off should be vertical out of the top of the pump.
As they said, isolated fuel source. Circulate some good fuel through it.
Leave the intake filtration off of it and have something handy to choke it out in case the rack sticks.

Someone forgot about the 3408 and 3412 heui.

Completely underwhelming engine in every way except longevity. I started one back in 07 that had been sitting almost 10 years in a scrap yard in an LC220 excavator with a demolition shear. Pretty sure I have spinal and emotional trauma from that machine.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Well, that's because they never used the 3408 and 3412 in any Farm Tractor...well, very few 3408's, but a couple. I have seen a 3412 swapped into a Deere 4wd tractor though.

I hate 3208's, but only because they are parent bore engines. They run, the power is decent depending on the application, and they will live well if maintained, and ran at high RPM. Like most V8's, don't lug them, just let it sing.

The hardest part about them is convincing people it's not "just an easy overhaul" if they need worked on
Chris

I'd start by seeing if you can turn it over by hand from the crank pulley with a ratchet on one of the pulley bolt. If it turns, see if you can make a full revolution. If that's a go, then I'd drain the oil and see if there are any debris in the oil or pan. This way your not spending a hundred or more on filters and oil, then find out it's scrap. And....
Hey Mr. Hughes, how's life ?

.... and have something handy to choke it out in case the rack sticks.

This was my first thought as well.

Dang, Scott, took an old dump truck to get you to come back and talk to us again, huh? Either way, good to see you back! I hope your wife and my kids are all doing well. :D

Thanks guys. I still haven't been able to get to this thing.

I have a feeling the motor is trash (after working on previous owners other vehicles left behind). I might just try to stick a 454 in it and call it a day. LOL

Thanks guys. I still haven't been able to get to this thing.

I have a feeling the motor is trash (after working on previous owners other vehicles left behind). I might just try to stick a 454 in it and call it a day. LOL

454 for the win.

Back