Trailer lights

I had a topper on my '95 that had an LED hi-mount brake light that had a circuit board in it. I wired it into the left tail light. Sometime or other something went wrong in the circuit board and it melted all the insulation off the wires between it and the tail light, melted the tail light wires, and the brake bulb socket. Never blew a fuse, it's a wonder it didn't catch on fire.

……. put together with some sort of "skirted" wire nut, even melted them off of it!

..a skirted wire nut.....(said in full metal jacket drill Sargent tone to the tune of "a jelly donut")

And this ladies and gentlemen is how some companies make an amazingly built trailer and then completely ruin it with sub-standard wiring.

GTFO of my obstacle. :hehe:

No one in their right GD mind should use wire nuts under a trailer.

Yeah, but mildly in their defense, it's not under the trailer, everything is in boxes. Only open hole is the small one the wire come through on the side for the taillights.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, but mildly in their defense, it's not under the trailer, everything is in boxes. Only open hole is the small one the wire come through on the side for the taillights.

It's a moving, vibrating, thing that takes jolts on every pot hole and expansion joint. There is NO defense for using wire nuts....even if you stuff your nuts in a tiny, snug hole. :D Or were they the wire nuts that are crimped on? I can see using those even thought I still say they suck. LOL

No crimp. Kinda looks like about 1/2" of heat shrink tubing off the bottom of the nut, that hasn't been shrunk.

Get you a set of wireless magnetic lights off Amazon for 90 bucks. I use them alot because most customers boats I pick up the lights dont work.

They're $50 at the local TSC, probably pick a set up before too long to have just in case.

My bad, those are wired lights, glossed right over the wireless part.

I bought them off Amazon a yr ago for like 90, who knows what you can get them for now. I leave them on trailers in the sun and weather often, still working good.

When I wired my trailer I used so cord, dielectric Grease on every butt connection. Then rubber taped, then super 88. I should be able to submerge the sumbtch

When I wired my trailer I used so cord, dielectric Grease on every butt connection. Then rubber taped, then super 88. I should be able to submerge the sumbtch

Anyone who mentions "rubber tape then super 88" obviously knows their stuff. :Cheer:

Anyone who mentions the words "black tape" should put the tools down and step away. :hehe:

Back