Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2018, 11:54 PM   #1
codyh12v

Name: codyh12v
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
no mechanical fan, serpentine belt routing

I'm going to be deleting the mechanical fan in my 98 12 valve, but am unsure how to route the serpentine belt correctly. well I could probably figure it out, I am most concerned with ensuring the belt retains proper tension to spin the water pump and alternator without slipping. I'm assuming that's the exact reason the belt tensioner is there in the first place but people in other forums are saying its not worth the hassle, that the fan clutch helps prevent slipping, and to just leave the fan clutch on without the fan. But whats the point of that? I don't want an extra, "useless" moving part on my truck.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #2
codyh12v

Member`s Gallery
Anyone?
Old 05-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: You are what you eat.
Member`s Gallery
Save your money and just use the pulley without the clutch and fan bud. If you truly want it gone, take it off and hunt the correct belt size so the tensioner is sprung in the same position. The bearing on that fan pulley is a pretty stout peice, probably a bunch out there with a million miles on them.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Meyers Farms

Name: Meyers Farms
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cummins5.9 View Post
Save your money and just use the pulley without the clutch and fan bud. If you truly want it gone, take it off and hunt the correct belt size so the tensioner is sprung in the same position. The bearing on that fan pulley is a pretty stout peice, probably a bunch out there with a million miles on them.
This is exactly what I did on mine. I have electric fans and just retained the stock fan pulley.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
codyh12v

Member`s Gallery
Thank y'all for the help. Gonna hunt for the correct size belt then, if I can not find one then I'll just use the oem belt with the fan pulley. Just cleaning up the engine bay on my 100,000 mile 12 valve, Wanna make it look as nice as possible since I'm taking the front case off for KDP.

Last edited by codyh12v; 05-21-2018 at 09:45 PM.