Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #21
Runninlean

Name: Runninlean
Title: Say When racing
Member`s Gallery
Are we going to throw out stupid questions for the hell of it now?

The point is if pressure is reduced pre-CAC it will be reduced post CAC. It sure as hell isn't going to increase. Depending on overall flow I guess a miniscule increase could be seen at the manifold.

The real benefit lies in flow and air density.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #22
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlean View Post

The point is if pressure is reduced pre-CAC it will be reduced post CAC. It sure as hell isn't going to increase. Depending on overall flow I guess a miniscule increase could be seen at the manifold.

Point is your wrong. Throw a theoretical ball valve between the charger and manifold and start closing it down at full flow. Pressure will rise on the charger side with a pressure drop across the valve. This is 6th grade elementary **** here.
Have this exact data set from dyno work last winter and when I put better flowing ports on my CAC there was a slight drop in CAC inlet pressure and corresponding gain in manifold and 50 facking HP.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #23
Runninlean

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Guess your not taking into account the drop in the pre CAC psi with this line of thinking? With less restriction down stream comes over all drop in friction forces.. At some point the amount of flow also becomes a factor.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
Point is your wrong. Throw a theoretical ball valve between the charger and manifold and start closing it down at full flow. Pressure will rise on the charger side with a pressure drop across the valve. This is 6th grade elementary **** here.
Have this exact data set from dyno work last winter and when I put better flowing ports on my CAC there was a slight drop in CAC inlet pressure and corresponding gain in manifold and 50 facking HP.

Now explain to me how your example in bold contradicts what I said?

So if by shutting your theoretical ball valve increases Pre CAC pressure is it not logical to assume opening said ball valve would reduce that pressure?

What I was wrong about was making my statement as a general one. It should have been referenced for mostly stock applications. The story changes when you add a sizable amount of additional air flow witch in turn effects velocity, flow and pressure.

By the looks of your claimed results the test bed used was not a near stock air flow. The HP gains mentioned are not very relevant either as was likely more a derivative from better flow thus efficient cooling producing denser air.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #24
kjpcummins

Name: kjpcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
You remove the intercooler completely on even a stock truck you will see an increase in boost.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #25
Ghostman

Name: Ghostman
Title: 24v crazy
Member`s Gallery
What he is saying is you won't have a pressure loss across a better flowing IC hence, a higher manifold reading than what you previously had. Not an increase in boost, just less pressure loss.

Analogy:
Same prinicipal in down hole hydraulics in oilfield. Basically you want to have all your pressure loss at the bit(head), but you loose some in the drill pipe(piping), and loose some in the BHA(intercooler). Now in the oilfield we can only read pressure at the pump(turbo) we can't read it at the bit(head), just calculate it. If we have 2500 psi at pump(turbo) we can calculate pressure loss in drill pipe, BHA, and at the bit. On trucks we can read it at the head(bit). So if we reduced some of the pressure loss in the BHA, we would gain it at the bit(head) as long as we kept pump pressure the same. Same principal with engines, if you reduce the pressure loss across the IC, keep turbo boost at 40 psi, you will gain pressure at the head.

Tons of other factors involved also, and the changes to the cores may not make much difference on most low power trucks.
2006 QCSB 4wd - EFI Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
VE vs VP....isn't that like watching retard's fight?

Old 11-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #26
Runninlean

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
What he is saying is you won't have a pressure loss across a better flowing IC hence, a higher manifold reading than what you previously had. Not an increase in boost, just less pressure loss.

Analogy:
Same prinicipal in down hole hydraulics in oilfield. Basically you want to have all your pressure loss at the bit(head), but you loose some in the drill pipe(piping), and loose some in the BHA(intercooler). Now in the oilfield we can only read pressure at the pump(turbo) we can't read it at the bit(head), just calculate it. If we have 2500 psi at pump(turbo) we can calculate pressure loss in drill pipe, BHA, and at the bit. On trucks we can read it at the head(bit). So if we reduced some of the pressure loss in the BHA, we would gain it at the bit(head) as long as we kept pump pressure the same. Same principal with engines, if you reduce the pressure loss across the IC, keep turbo boost at 40 psi, you will gain pressure at the head.

Tons of other factors involved also, and the changes to the cores may not make much difference on most low power trucks.
I agree with everything you just stated. You also have to take into consideration added volume (larger CAC) as well as we are talking a gas vs a liquid both become factors.

Of course a straight pipe in place of a CAC would increase manifold pressure. Add a piece of 18" pipe in its place and see if that holds true.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #27
kjpcummins

Member`s Gallery
I wouldnt have posted it if it didnt hold true. Its also nice to have dyno info and datalogs to back it up on this site. You can figure pressure loss for any substance at given pressure per specific pipe size. This is the reason on a truck i did some a intercooler and piping on i set it up hto have zero straight piping and only one 4inch 90deg piece. Easy 20hp because of reduction of pressure loss.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #28
Rhett24

Name: Rhett24
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Back on topic. What intercoolers are you guys running?
Which one do you think works best?
Any egt drops cruising/ wide open?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #29
Rhett24

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett24 View Post
For all 3rd gen cummins owners.
What aftermarket intercooler are you running?
What was your cruising egts vs stock?
What was your top egts vs stock?
What was your boost increase vs stock?
What do you not like about your aftermarket intercooler?
Was your turbo able to spool easier/quicker?
Trying to get data

Old 11-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #30
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
I can't vouch for 3g but my 2g spearco lowered egts and overall boost. Not much but it did.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #31
kjpcummins

Member`s Gallery
You want to look at the core size. I would find out which brand uses the thickest cores. Also use one that has smooth unrestricted larger inlet outlets. Those two will make the biggest difference on perrformance. The 3rd gen intercooler is a decent design anyways. Its going to be hard to make a big improvement on a oem replacement because there just isnt space to do it.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #32
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Garret makes the best cores right now. You can get a core from them and make up your own mounting and end caps if you're inclined to. That might be the best bang for your buck if you can do the work yourself.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #33
SoDak24valve

Name: SoDak24valve
Title: Never Enough
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Garret makes the best cores right now. You can get a core from them and make up your own mounting and end caps if you're inclined to. That might be the best bang for your buck if you can do the work yourself.
Yup, I agree with this. I have had good luck with the garrett cores, have one sitting by my tig right now that I am going to make end tanks for a 06 dodge, pretty excited to see how it turns out.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #34
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Throw this wrench into the boost equation, the more efficient the cooler is at lowering air temperature (increasing density) the more pressure drop it will cause. Think of aftercooling as another small stage of compression/increase air density.
OEM 12v Block

Old 11-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #35
mykaos

Name: mykaos
Title: Rookie...Riiiiiight
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett24 View Post
For all 3rd gen cummins owners.
What aftermarket intercooler are you running?
CX Racing

What was your cruising egts vs stock?
Intercooler swap made NO difference

What was your top egts vs stock?
Intercooler swap made NO difference

What was your boost increase vs stock?
Intercooler swap made no difference

What do you not like about your aftermarket intercooler?
POS mounting "system", missing brackets & hardware, having to change out the grill for clearance, the "slightly" bigger inlet / outlet tubes

Was your turbo able to spool easier/quicker?
nope

All comparisons were done post compounds and are according to what I saw on my CTS (another pos) as I thought I was having a intercooler issue so I put the stocker back in for a month or so. Ended up blowing the right tank off the stock one. Sent the CX out and had tested to 120 psi, no leaks, so it went back in. Although the core and tanks are really stout and it will hold 120 psi, the install hassles / poor engineering, ruined it for me.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #36
Rhett24

Member`s Gallery
I've been looking at some of the companies warranty's and mishimoto has the best by far a limited lifetime and even covers accidents. Almost all other companies only have a limited 1 year.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #37
dixon700

Name: dixon700
Title: cummins fanatic
Member`s Gallery
I have a mishimoto and it seems to work great. Boost dropped about 7 psi and intake air temps dropped a ton Idr actual numbers, but I can hold my hand on the cold side of my intercooler after a hard jaunt now. Egts will still spike at 1600*+, drop back down to about 1400* almost immediately. I have no complaints about the mishimoto especially since I got it on xdp for less than $800. They also warranty the 2 boots and 4 clamps that come with their intercoolers. They have awesome customer service and are quick to respond also.
04.5qcsb 3/4hd built 47reh kilduff isspro adii motorsportdiesel 100%over 10.6cp3&bypass CPP stainless diesel63 over s475 trac bars mishimoto Hamilton pusher arp smarty touch udc pro by gordon 4"-7"stacks 4.10's 6"lift 37"toyo mts eagle wheels dynatrac top gun customz

Closed Thread