performance c16 turbo

CurtisEmery

I have a friend who has recently got into truck pulling his western star with a c16. He already has quite a few mods. Some sort of 82mm borg charger,1000hp c18 cam,59 injectors,3000rpmecm,Pittsburgh box. He wants to step up to a larger turbo as this current one is all done around 2400rpm. I am looking into gt55 and s500 options in the 94mm range. I was wondering if any of you guys had any input on what a/r turbine housing i should specing for this thing. I am thinking somewhere in the 1.24-1.41a/r range for the gt55. Would like to here some real world experience so we can get this thing dialed in without buying a bunch of housings. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ended up with a gtx5518 on this engine with a 1.24 ar housing. So far the performance has been phenomenal. He placed 7th overall in the A class at the rodeo du cameon in quebec on the weekend.

Holy crap I am glad to see this as I am building a semi soon and the gt55 was on my radar. c18 + K100 build over the next year.

All he has sent me are crappy cell phone videos. I will post up something from YouTube once the better video is uploaded.

My 82 mm Garrett is about done at 1800 rpm.

What frame size, GT47 or 55?

I went to a GT5523 with a 1.18 internal gate housing on the 3406 and it has done well, has as good of drivability as any turbo I have had on it including a S400.

Holy crap I am glad to see this as I am building a semi soon and the gt55 was on my radar. c18 + K100 build over the next year.

GT55 is standard as the single turbo on a C18, I would say any increase in power will be maxing the turbine in almost any exhaust housing.

The euro truck engines are already using 1.37 housings at 700hp, 865hp C15 gen sets are using a 1.58.

What frame size, GT47 or 55?

I went to a GT5523 with a 1.18 internal gate housing on the 3406 and it has done well, has as good of drivability as any turbo I have had on it including a S400.
GT50, I dont know how those stock Volvo housings work with those wheels but I think it's somewhere between 900-1000 flywheel hp now and EGT starts to climb quick when rpm goes over 1800. There's still little bit to be gained when we get timing maps perfect but I believe 1000-1100 hp is about max with that turbo.
But driveability is very good, it makes 1.7 bar boost at 950 rpm before it starts to surge, at 1100 it could make much more boost it is making now, response is very good. But to get good response it needed lots of changes to fuel and boost maps.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9rmUlXs0kg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9rmUlXs0kg[/ame]

This GT55 came off of a 665hp QSX15, not sure why they use a 55 on that specific model but I think it works extremely well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9rmUlXs0kg

This GT55 came off of a 665hp QSX15, not sure why they use a 55 on that specific model but I think it works extremely well.

For some reason people are afraid of big turbinewheel, thinking it doesnt spool well, many times I have found it not being true, just use right exhaust housing. I have found out that big turbine and small housing is better than small turbine and big housing.

Does that have 84 mm compressor ?

Back