Mark Nixon, Not even once.

I have definitely done my share of business with mark. Every part I have ever gotten from him. Has always been explained to me what it was.

I speak with mark on the phone from time to time and discuss are junk together. I know mark would never intentionally sell a junk part. Unless he specifically said what issues are there.

Where I get kinda stumped if anyone says it's a running motor. Why tear the motor apart if u buy it cause it's running. And when you see the block had issues. Why would you proceed to RIP the motor apart. Not saying this guy did but when this motor is tore down like that hows mark even know that's the engine he sold. Not saying it's not but that's my views.

If you went to say a regular salvage yard and bought a motor. Then take it home and pull the head there going to say. Ya you own it buddy. You had warranty till you pulled it apart.

Good points.

Instead of getting on either side of this, here is a potential solution. Both parties included should have gone over the engine with a bit more of an eye for a potential problem. The buyer sent a relative that possibly didn’t know what to look for, Mark pulls an engine seems like every week, multiple times in a week and might’ve gotten a little complacent and this slipped by.

To the guy that got the short end of the deal:
If you’re not familiar with purchasing GOOD used engines on a regular basis it’s easy to not notice a broken bolt boss, damage from removal, or a small spot of oil that could indicate bigger problems. (I know a lot of times we are buying grease balls but that shouldn’t change how thorough you are when inspecting). Chalk this one up as a hard lesson learned. Chances are you’ll never make the same mistakes again, and this costly lesson will be just that 10 years down the road. A lesson.

Mark has done a lot of business over the years, and he’s had very very few negative stories or feedback like this. I have only positive things to say about my dealings with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems as though the general concensus is positive, barring the occasional Gray area where one or both parties could have handled themselves more accordingly.

It would be interesting to see a seller rating system here. Maybe in the form of polls at the head of the for sale section?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I will say for everyone who has dealt with Mark in the past his attitude has clearly changed.

Were we sold a "Good running motor" This was clearly a lie.

Marks solution of just replacing the block is barely a remedy. At that point, we would have $3,200 into a disassembled motor and would be an additional $2000+ at the machine shop to actually have a "good running moto"... Not really a remedy at all.

Marks attitude was that because we took 45 days, (quoted from mark) doesn't have to do anything. He is also blaming us for pulling the head off the motor. "You tore apart my _ing motor and _ing peice of _" Marks attitude is that we should have put this motor in and run it and we wouldn't have had any issues.

I understand that Mark has been around a long time but his attitude has clearly charnged.

Last edited:
Points of clarification:

1. This guy, or his brother at least, has my address, because his brother came and picked up the engine from me and he indicated he was using GPS to get here.
Never in the 3 prior phone calls was I asked for the shipping address at any point, as it was a given that he had/has it

2. When the engine was picked up, it was inspected and approved by the buyer and it did have an engine blanket on the driver's side, which precluded me (or anyone) from seeing the damage, without removing it first, which was never done by either of us.
Had I seen this damage, I would not have offered it for sale.

Additionally, when the buyer picked the engine up, it had no intake horn on it when it was loaded in his truck
On that day he picked it up, we were having rainstorms and while loading it, I asked him if he wanted something to cover the intake up and he declined.

Mark.

1) Why wouldn't you just give me your address? I asked nicely, the 3rd time I called you because you screamed your head off and hung up the first 2..
YOU STILL HAVEN'T PROVIDED ME WITH YOUR ADDRESS.

2) This is understood. There's no way Chris would have bought this had he seen it.

Saying it wasn't packaged properly is a cute attempt to "cover your _." It doesn't change that the motor had a cracked block.

J

Heres a question for everyone who is following.

What do you think is a good remedy to the situation?

At this point I have:
6.7 short block with a cracked block
6.7 head that dropped a seat
Pile of Misc 6.7 parts like CP3, rail and lines, and some hardware.

This is what remains of a $3000 (not including fuel to pick it up) 60k mile "Good running" motor from Mark.

Marks offer from day one was to replace just the bare block if we ship him the old one back on our dime.

Buys a basically "salvage" motor at a salvage price them complains that it is salvage. You realize that he buys used/wrecked/salvage/etc trucks and sells the parts from them correct? Not a performance shop. Not a retailer with warranties and service.

Last edited:
Buys a basically "salvage" motor at a salvage price them complains that it is salvage. You realize that he buys used/wrecked/salvage/etc trucks and sells the parts from them correct? Not a performance shop. Not a retailer with warranties and service.

I've bought 3, Running 6.7 complete motors for sub $3500 this year. All in great condition. I've also bought 2 running complete 5.9 motors for sub $3000.

I wouldn't say it was salvage price, $1000? Salvage price.

Well, maybe not salvage...but you see what I'm saying. If you buy from an individual with no company no warranty no service....you should kinda know what to expect or am I way off base here?

I know Mark. He's never done me wrong in the 15 years or so I've known him. Maybe he fell and bumped his head...I can't speak for him. :D

I'm going to dumb it down for your impaired reading skills.
I offered the only recourse, which was accepted, that I felt any obligation to, in light of the fact that you took the engine apart.
Had you stopped when you found the crack, you could have returned the engine.
Instead, you not only took the engine clear apart, you used parts off it WHILE TRYING TO GET ME TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

9 months out and 3 times you guys tell me you'll ship it and not ONCE did it happen.
The claim of not having my address is a lie, your brother has it, either in text or on his GPS' history, however, had he (or you) called or texted asking for it, it would have been shared.
Until yesterday, it hadn't even come up.

At any rate, I'm not bound to do anything about it, 9 months and 3 promises was long enough of a heartache over this.

Mark.

Did you buy the engine "as is", meaning no warranty implied?

I have had dealings with Mark in the past and have no complaints. Even in your situation I KNOW for a fact that if I called Mark and said "Hey, I'm thinking that I may have gotten a bum block from you. Can we work something out?" He would do what he could to make it right. The reality of it is, he has no obligation to do so. It was a salvaged engine. Maybe you should have bought a crate motor from Cummins instead. Just sayin..

Well, maybe not salvage...but you see what I'm saying. If you buy from an individual with no company no warranty no service....you should kinda know what to expect or am I way off base here?

I know Mark. He's never done me wrong in the 15 years or so I've known him. Maybe he fell and bumped his head...I can't speak for him. :D

I understand that.. Dont think that changes the situation. Mark has been around for YEARS, I also understand that. He's done many right, he just did me and my brother very wrong..

Mark WAS considered a reputable seller in my mind. This was known when my brother went to pick up the motor.

All I'm wondering, is if this is how Mark is making his living, shouldn't he be a paying supporting vendor, and thus have some sort of insurance for similar situations? I've no dealings with the man, just observations, seems like he sells more on here than the vendors do, and is the first to call someone out for being wrong about a for sale post.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm going to dumb it down for your impaired reading skills.
I offered the only recourse, which was accepted, that I felt any obligation to, in light of the fact that you took the engine apart.
Had you stopped when you found the crack, you could have returned the engine.
Instead, you not only took the engine clear apart, you used parts off it WHILE TRYING TO GET ME TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

9 months out and 3 times you guys tell me you'll ship it and not ONCE did it happen.
The claim of not having my address is a lie, your brother has it, either in text or on his GPS' history, however, had he (or you) called or texted asking for it, it would have been shared.
Until yesterday, it hadn't even come up.

At any rate, I'm not bound to do anything about it, 9 months and 3 promises was long enough of a heartache over this.

Mark.

Mark, We found the crack after the head was pulled off. This was when you were contacted, and the engine has not been further disassembled at all from that point.

The only part that has been "used" was the head, and if you want I will happily send that back to you as well considering it WAS ALSO junk.

You asked me to ship you the block 2 months ago, you told me to give you a couple weeks so you could get a replacement. I told you I would call you back when I found out the condition of the motors assembly, this took me a month to get it into my hands at my shop. I was going to wait until after Christmas, I didn't want to ruin your holiday, or ours. However, when the head dropped the seat I was a bit ticked and gave you a heads up call I STILL have no address.

"9 months and 3 promises was long enough of a heartache over this." Then maybe you shouldn't clearly direct me to go run my mouth, because you could have taken care of the situation but have chosen not to at this point.

Keep in mind this all will go away if you make it right.

I will just say there is a lot of grey area when buying used parts... I have sold used Cummins parts for a long time now and it is really hit or miss with keeping people happy. There are a lot of things out of your control, and I have pretty much stopped because of it.

I think the most important thing about buying used parts is the buyer needs to understand they are buying USED PARTS. The majority of the sellers dont have any personal experience with these parts, they dont know the history, and nobody knows exactly what is there until it is tore down and really looked at. That would cost a lot of extra money that neither the buyer or the seller wants to spend.

If you want to know damn sure you are getting a good part that will run for a long time, you need to pony up and buy new/rebuilt. Anything else is a risk because you are trying to save money.

I do understand both sides here, I dont think Mark would sell a junk part without letting the buyer know. It does suck for buyer to get a cracked block, best thing to do is quit the arguing and come to a conclusion that BOTH parties can be happy with. I think BOTH should understand this is a chitty deal, and not expect one or the other to fully take the hit. Understand this is going to cost both of you money to find a fair solution.

IMO I think the best solution is to give the buyer his money back if he pays shipping. $.02

Brother Jory has a the bottom line opinion, and guess what the bottom line means, everything.

OP
You shouldn't bring this crap to the internet. You took a gamble and lost. You want a guarantee with your purchase, you buy new.

If Nixon sold a block that he knew was cracked I'd be really sadly surprised.

Last edited:
Mark, We found the crack after the head was pulled off. This was when you were contacted, and the engine has not been further disassembled at all from that point.

The only part that has been "used" was the head, and if you want I will happily send that back to you as well considering it WAS ALSO junk.

You asked me to ship you the block 2 months ago, you told me to give you a couple weeks so you could get a replacement. I told you I would call you back when I found out the condition of the motors assembly, this took me a month to get it into my hands at my shop. I was going to wait until after Christmas, I didn't want to ruin your holiday, or ours. However, when the head dropped the seat I was a bit ticked and gave you a heads up call I STILL have no address.

"9 months and 3 promises was long enough of a heartache over this." Then maybe you shouldn't clearly direct me to go run my mouth, because you could have taken care of the situation but have chosen not to at this point.

Keep in mind this all will go away if you make it right.

How was Mark supposed to know it was going to drop a seat? He cant, especially if the head had never been off. At this point, that is not even worth arguing about.

Last edited:
Brother Jory has a the bottom line opinion, and guess what the bottom line means, everything.

OP
You shouldn't bring this crap to the internet. You took a gamble and lost. You want a guarantee with your purchase, you buy new.

If Nixon sold a block that he new was cracked I'd be really sadly surprised.

Mark has said he sold the motor to my brother, there is no questioning that Mark sold my brother this motor, cracked and flex-sealed over.

Heres a question for everyone who is following.

What do you think is a good remedy to the situation?

At this point I have:
6.7 short block with a cracked block
6.7 head that dropped a seat
Pile of Misc 6.7 parts like CP3, rail and lines, and some hardware.

This is what remains of a $3000 (not including fuel to pick it up) 60k mile "Good running" motor from Mark.

Marks offer from day one was to replace just the bare block if we ship him the old one back on our dime.

So since everything else is junk how much do you want for the crank?

How was Mark supposed to know it was going to drop a seat? He cant, especially if the head had never been off. At this point, that is not even worth arguing about.

Im not really worried about the head. I've never had a "Good running" 60k miles head drop a seat right after it was installed before. I guess it was just bad luck.

Broken plenum bolts so the intake horn cant be tightened down as well.

This was added as more information to explain the condition of this "good running motor" from Mark.

Back