99 2500 reg cab swapped into a 01 1500 ex cab short box

cetaneaddict

Causing my own headaches
Ok so the body on my 99 regular cab long box is pretty rough. It's got a nv4500 behind it and its a 4x4. Now I found a clean 1/2 ton ex cab short box 4x4 that I'm really liking. I would like to drop my 24 valve in it along with my nv4500 and my 3/4 ton axles. Now with that being said would I have to swap my my entire wiring harness too? Or would the PCM and ECM be plug and play? Also what are the differences between the two trucks ? What I mean by that is the frame just as strong? I know I would have to find drive shafts to fit. What other problems would I run into? Sure someone has done this before. Anyone have any answers? Thanks for any and all help!

This is the truck I am suppose to be picking up. The thing that is holding me back is doing a diesel conversion into a gas 1/2 ton. I need to know how would I register, insure, and pass inspection for New York State. I have my 99 24v reg cab sitting and waiting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0
I know that's why I want to do a diesel conversion on it since my 99 is rotted out. I've been researching trying to figure out if its legal to do.

It's all there. Only things missing are the front and rear bumpers, grill, radio, and speakers. If I can't get any answers I may just cut my loses

Right around 2k give or take. I'm half tempted to throw a 5.2 back in it and a trans. Then drive the damn thing. Possibly make some money on it. Up here in New York people buy rust free trucks almost instantly

Go to the DMV ask them. Or go to your inspection shop and ask them how they'd deal with it.

I believe something that age, as long as it does not have an engine code it'll pass inspection. I bet you'd have to switch your wiring harness out of your 99 to make everything work properly. I think the 99 PCM will lose it if you just try to plug your diesel into it.

As far as things being built the same, I'm pretty confident the frame is lighter on the 1/2 ton, springs will be lighter, also.

The frames are exactly the same from gas v10 to diesel I know for sure. I am not sure on the v6/v8 due to motor mount placement but I would think they are also the same.. You will need to change wiring harness and basically all the electronics/wiring under the hood. You need to use the original vin of the truck to license it.

I planned on using everything off my 99 24v to make it work. My axles, nv4500, fuel tank, wiring harness, PCM, dash, etc etc..... I don't plan on hauling anything heavier than a 1/2 could handle. I'm just having a hell of a time finding a complete clean body for a reg cab long box that someone isn't asking $1500-$2000. I found a good deal on this truck and I'm having a hard time passing it up.

I may just part the truck out and try to make my money back. Other wise I'm dropping another $500 into it on a used motor that is a gamble

Back