Rolling Tool Boxes

regcanfan

Looking to clean up the shop and organize some of the tools better. Looking for a rolling tool box set up. I dont know much about them. I know there is different levels within a brand.

The local carquest carries the international brand which seems fairly reasonable in price. I've looked at used and it seems like it brings close to new price.

Any input would be helpful. Our wrenching consists of working on our own vehicles and fixing equipment that breaks in our small feed mill. So not everyday use but dont want cheap junk that falls apart or drawers that wont open etc.

I dont need anything too big. If I out grow a smaller one I could always get another small one. Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

I have one of those as well, have been very happy with it. I'm getting close to filling it and getting a second one, then splitting metric and SAE in separate boxes. A good family friend sold his snap on stuff when they were full, and bought all harbor freight boxes, he's been happy too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Have one of the red boxes at buddies shop ive been using a bunch. Works perfect. Has everything i need on daily basis in it, and can roll it around anywhere in shop. Sturdy too.

The harbor freight boxes are pretty good, I know 4 or 5 people using them with good luck, they aren't really that cheap though. The home depot ones seem pretty decent, I built a welding cart out of one of the smaller ones and it's been solid. The montezuma stuff is really nice and fairly reasonable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I havent seen a non-big name box that is as well built as the expensive boxes. They are larger, use heavier material, and have better slides than a cheaper box.

The Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell, Mac, etc boxes are really nice and really well built, but I wouldn't say they are worth the money they want for new ones. I would keep an eye out on craigslist for some older used boxes, or talk to your salesman about finding a trade in. You can find nice boxes for 1/10th of what they cost new.

I have a top and bottom double bay Matco that I repainted and a bottom double bay Matco that I am in the process of painting, and I only have $1800 between the two.

e349483e5c463c4261609e1213bd0b09.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of the older harbor freight 4 drawer carts and one of their newer 5 drawers, the older one is so much better, it doesnt have the locks but the drawers feel a lot more sturdy.

All my bigger boxes are husky which are probably the best you’ll find without stepping on to the trucks. Milwaukee make some good ones to but they arent that cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch craigslist and OfferUp for a good deal on used carts or boxes. I’ve scored some deals on OfferUp lately. People loose their job and can’t pay the note on a tool box, cart, or welder and need to dump it for some cash to pay down the note.

I have a Marco 4s double bay box. It works great but I leave it stationary in the shop. Have a small Cornwell cart someone gave me. It rolls everywhere with me during a mechanic project.

If your looking for a good quality box that isnt a truck brand, check out the Masterforce line at a menards if you have one nearby. When I bought my first one, i was having a really hard time not buying a matco that was half the size of my masterforce till i started talking to a couple of guy that reminded me that A. A toolbox doesnt make you any money. B. The materforce has more slides on the bigger drawers. Plus I dont have to worry about tracking down a snap on/mac/matco/cornwell rep if I need something repaired.

The two things you can buy without worry from Harbor Freight are Pitt.Pro Impact sockets and Tool boxes/carts. I have had great luck with my boxes.

If your looking for a good quality box that isnt a truck brand, check out the Masterforce line at a menards if you have one nearby. When I bought my first one, i was having a really hard time not buying a matco that was half the size of my masterforce till i started talking to a couple of guy that reminded me that A. A toolbox doesnt make you any money. B. The materforce has more slides on the bigger drawers. Plus I dont have to worry about tracking down a snap on/mac/matco/cornwell rep if I need something repaired.

I actually agree with this. I just bought a 56 inch bottom cart with stainless top new for under a grand. It has more room than I currently need, plus if i needed more space the I can always, cheaply and easily add on the side and top boxes. I personally really like the Masterforce lift Latch system over snapon side slide, plus if your not going to sell the box, why spend a bunch of money that you will never get back. In my area there are plenty of big name tool boxes for sale that people are having a hard time selling in the 1500-2500 dollar price range, So I figured the ROI wasn't worth it and I could spend the balance on go fast parts.

Last edited:
Thanks, good info. I have been watching the for sale sights on and off and there has been a few boxes around but there is a bit of driving involved to pick them up. (I live in an area where its not overly populated.) I'll have to check out some of the menards boxes next time I drive past. Ive got a few menards cards laying around that I got given, which sweetens up the deal some.

Im just a little nervious with buying online being that I'm not overly educated as what is what when it comes to boxes. Although most of the big online retailers will take items back pretty easly.

I would highly suggest buying a high end used setup. Some pretty awesome deals out there currently. Before purchase, the only precaution I’d make is verifying the unit is paid off by contacting said brand with the vin# on the unit. Good luck.

Back