Realistic Setup

Carbur8tr

I’ve kicked around the idea of the conversion on my 01 for a while and formed some of my own opinions through simply reading. What I haven’t seen too much of is a “realistic” setup.

Everyone is either looking for a streetable 1000hp P7100 setup or pulling and neither of which I have any business with.

That said, I’m looking for some thoughts on a realistic PPUMP 24value setup.

Rules for the setup:
- Has to be truly streetable
- Capable of towing
- Slight haze off the line is fine but still needs to have decent lug manners

I’m sure I’m missing something but regardless please feel free to put in your 2 cents.

For what you’re looking for, it’s hard to beat the infinite variable timing of the vp44. I think a good set of properly sized twin turbos would give you what you want.

Gary needs to keep an eye on this thread!
But as for the OP, I'd say your targeted hp range will make a big difference. If you're not after big numbers, but good characteristics and reliability, I'd guess a good quality set of conservatively sized injectors, and a fast spooling turbo, with a well tuned pump. My VP truck is very nice to drive with a HE351CW turbo, good injectors and conservative tuning, made 408hp at firepunk. I'd think that could be similarly achieved with a p-pump.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Don’t know what you want for power or what you tow but sounds like small compounds to me.

Maybe a 351 over a 472 or 476. Maybe even add a turbo under an hx35. You can have a clean 500hp and tow your house to Texas with some small compounds.

I don’t have a power goal just looking for opinions on a “useful” or “realistic” setup.

My opinion on the matter is that 275-300 is a useful and realistic horsepower goal for a ppump setup but that’s kind of the idea of the thread.

Feel free to fill in the blanks.

60mm turbo, AFC mods and governor springs would have you where you want to be then in my opinion to do 300.

I kind of feel like "This Is Sparta" though, none of us do conservative (power) very well.

I had a lot of fun with my 12V on a 64mm, 5X14, 7mm DV's and no plate with AFC mods.
Did 525 at the wheels on a hurt trans.

This is probably an obscure reference, but I pulled 23k up the south side of Jellico Mountain on I75 with the 525 setup and never had to let out of it, maintaining 70mph.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
60mm turbo, AFC mods and governor springs would have you where you want to be then in my opinion to do 300.

I kind of feel like "This Is Sparta" though, none of us do conservative (power) very well.

I had a lot of fun with my 12V on a 64mm, 5X14, 7mm DV's and no plate with AFC mods.
Did 525 at the wheels on a hurt trans.

This is probably an obscure reference, but I pulled 23k up the south side of Jellico Mountain on I75 with the 525 setup and never had to let out of it, maintaining 70mph.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

I complete agree on the Sparta comment which is why I started this thread. I did 540 on a blown intercooler and hurt vp44. I know where you’re coming from and I’m sure like most setups, if I go this route it won’t be something that I leave alone.

This is actually a bit funny to me the fact that no one has ever really had this conversation though, and so far most that have posted are doing the same song and dance even I’m guilty of and that’s the “what’s your hp goal” runaround.

Truly though, I’m not sure what a decent pump build looks like that’s not setup for going after 600hp and 4500rpm. I’ve read plenty of threads and have seen builds that make an easy 500 but nothing focused on clean, easy, and reliable. And I’m not looking for a stock pump which I know is a counter to all of this.

Just something realistic, that’s the provoking thought. Mileage may vary but I’m still curious to hear some thoughts on hp goal, turbo, injectors, and pump for the setup.

I guess I’ll lead with this for my thoughts:
12mm 215
4000s
191s
Afc live
62/68/14 over 475/1.1
32 degrees of timing (24 valve)
6x.012s

Might make 500 on a good day, but 400 should be easy and decent to keep clean.

This is actually a bit funny to me the fact that no one has ever really had this conversation though, and so far most that have posted are doing the same song and dance even I’m guilty of and that’s the “what’s your hp goal” runaround.

12mm 215
4000s
191s
Afc live
62/68/14 over 475/1.1
6x.012s

Well, looks like you have it covered.
I'm not sure what conversation you were expecting to have here.
Is it the cleanest reliable engine that's not stock? We'd have to define clean I suppose. You had mentioned black smoke off the line, which is not clean.

I'm not really surprised that you haven't found what you were looking for on a site dedicated to people that are competition driven.

Last edited:
what i find funny about these kind of posts by anyone..facebook kids....compd kids....anyone referencing a ''setup'' to make 1000 hp daily or only looking for about 800 for my beater ..lol
i find it all comical to be honest...nobody ever dynos the junk...bolts it together adds up the numbers on the boxes and says i got 750 and look at it roast the tires and smoke out that hood stack

not saying thats you..but thats kinda how this thread went. i make more than enough power to tow anyhting behind my 02 vp truck or my pos 7.5 6.7 deleted junk. i have no idea how much power thy make and dont care....i threw some junk on em and it runs tons better than stock..ran a high 13 qtr and pulls anyhting with ease..runs a little hot...both of em...at times but hey..theyre faster than a slow truck

ran a high 13 qtr and pulls anyhting with ease..runs a little hot...both of em...at times but hey..theyre faster than a slow truck

Anything with ease huh? Except your camper then? Isn't that why you bought that freightliner and now the 07? Because the 01 couldn't handle a little camper?

I kid, all in fun!

But in seriousness, didn't Chris have a setup he really liked on a 12v? Towed way more than the rest of us, was about 350hp range if I recall, 60mm turbo?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

it tows it with ease...pulls it...lol..wieght is a bit much....but it rolls down the road like a breeze..hot breeze..but it rolls lol

Well, looks like you have it covered.
I'm not sure what conversation you were expecting to have here.
Is it the cleanest reliable engine that's not stock? We'd have to define clean I suppose. You had mentioned black smoke off the line, which is not clean.

I'm not really surprised that you haven't found what you were looking for on a site dedicated to people that are competition driven.

That’s very constructive, thanks for the feedback.

Common rail swap

Meh, I have a 4th gen and while I do love the creature comforts I still enjoy my 2nd gen.

what i find funny about these kind of posts by anyone..facebook kids....compd kids....anyone referencing a ''setup'' to make 1000 hp daily or only looking for about 800 for my beater ..lol
i find it all comical to be honest...nobody ever dynos the junk...bolts it together adds up the numbers on the boxes and says i got 750 and look at it roast the tires and smoke out that hood stack

not saying thats you..but thats kinda how this thread went. i make more than enough power to tow anyhting behind my 02 vp truck or my pos 7.5 6.7 deleted junk. i have no idea how much power thy make and dont care....i threw some junk on em and it runs tons better than stock..ran a high 13 qtr and pulls anyhting with ease..runs a little hot...both of em...at times but hey..theyre faster than a slow truck

Well noted and I’ve been around long enough to grow tired of the same. Not the intention here.

In all seriousness, this could have been asked on a plethora of other forums and maybe the answers would have been better. Regardless I value this communities’ opinions and I would like to think that the “competition” crowd probably has the best view of the field seeing as though it’s just part of the game.

Anything worth value is appreciate. Just looking for thoughts and opinions.

12mm 215
4000s
191s
Afc live
62/68/14 over 475/1.1
6x.012s

Against my better judgement I'm going to offer some advice; a 215hp P7100 certainly wouldn't need a larger delivery valve, and in any case I would not recommend a 191 delivery valve. You can modify the AFC for $25 and if need be get an air control valve for less than $30. If you are considering twins, I certainly wouldn't not use an S300 on the manifold, leave the HX35. And I would not consider any 6-hole nozzle if haze is a concern.

Against my better judgement I'm going to offer some advice; a 215hp P7100 certainly wouldn't need a larger delivery valve, and in any case I would not recommend a 191 delivery valve. You can modify the AFC for $25 and if need be get an air control valve for less than $30. If you are considering twins, I certainly wouldn't not use an S300 on the manifold, leave the HX35. And I would not consider any 6-hole nozzle if haze is a concern.

I agree on most points and fully acknowledge that everyone has a different opinion of what this might look like which is why I asked.

Questions in return:
What delivery mod are you referring to?
Air control valve?
What injector would you use?

I have quite a bit of experience with vp44 pop pressures and nozzle types. I’ve run 6, 7, and 8 hole injectors from 290 bar all the way up to 350 on the vp. That said I don’t have any first hand knowledge/experience with 7100 pop pressures and nozzle builds so please feel free to elaborate.

Back