Might have stripped ring and pinion

Wow I go back and look at some of the posts I've made here, and realize I need to get more sleep. I don't know what I was thinking for half of them.

IIRC, he made over 5 complete passes all the way around the tube. It will be the only part of the truck that survives the crusher at the end of its life.

Wow I go back and look at some of the posts I've made here, and realize I need to get more sleep. I don't know what I was thinking for half of them.

Well don't go through the rest of your threads then. :hehe:

LOL it happens sometimes....now I wonder if I can trust your use of a tape measure...

IIRC, he made over 5 complete passes all the way around the tube. It will be the only part of the truck that survives the crusher at the end of its life.

Well don't go through the rest of your threads then. :hehe:

Don't say that! When her time is done, she's getting stuffed, mounted, and hung on the wall so I'll never forget her.

LOL it happens sometimes....now I wonder if I can trust your use of a tape measure...

I was definitely good for those, but I wish I had a set of calipers that went more than 12" or so, that would have got you perfect numbers. I can try to come up with a way to get you more exact numbers. I'll also mount them on the purple truck so we can get numbers with weight on them.

Finally got time to get it back together.

Can the bearings spin on the axle? Or should they be fixed, and only the hub spin on the bearings?

Nevermind. I'll say now that inner seal is a complete c*nt without the right tool.

I don't have a 3/4 torque wrench, so I just wrenched her down tight until the hub spun with resistance, and then backed it off until it spun freely with no play in the bearings. If I'm way wrong with that, please tell me ASAP LOL

Sorry. I should have sent my 3/4 to 1/2 adapter with it. You need to preload it to 160ft/lbs while spinning it then back off 1/8 turn.....or go by feel. It will be fine. LOL

Sorry no help with that, but I will say that 1 month later you got it back together! Congrats!

LOL more like 2 months! Just havent had time. That and it was 100* today, so why not? I'm so dehydrated.

Sorry. I should have sent my 3/4 to 1/2 adapter with it. You need to preload it to 160ft/lbs while spinning it then back off 1/8 turn.....or go by feel. It will be fine. LOL

It's cool. I just turned till it wouldnt turn anymore with my 3/4 breaker, and backed it off till the bearing spun free without play. I think I'll be ok. If it makes noise again, I'm limping to the nearest friends house.

tight and back off a little should be just fine ...... i have never set bearing with a torque wrench .... I work on charter buses , never had a failure .... 5 yrs in heavy diesel ... no failures ..... dont be afraid of them .....they actually run fairly cool .... make sure your diff vent is clear and make sure when you get the axle in .... tip the housing up at either end to fill the hubs ( about 10 min. per side works good ) ... then level it out and check fluid after 10 min .... kinda of a pain ... i use this time to clean and pick up tools and such...... LOL

tight and back off a little should be just fine ...... i have never set bearing with a torque wrench .... I work on charter buses , never had a failure .... 5 yrs in heavy diesel ... no failures ..... dont be afraid of them .....they actually run fairly cool .... make sure your diff vent is clear and make sure when you get the axle in .... tip the housing up at either end to fill the hubs ( about 10 min. per side works good ) ... then level it out and check fluid after 10 min .... kinda of a pain ... i use this time to clean and pick up tools and such...... LOL

I was gonna do that. Instead I just jack the rear up as much as possible, and fill the diff that way. That way at least it overfills a little and I hope it will help fill the axle tubes faster.

That little adapter is worth it's weight in gold...

Literally, I'm sure.

So I took it to alex's tonight, about 40 miles round trip. Truck drove great, made me realize how much I missed boost, even though I kept it under 5psi LOL. I will say these things don't like sitting for 2 months between movements. Everything is squeaking, and all the rotors turned light red LOL The suspension felt like a bouncy castle for the first few miles.

Also Jory, I still have your socket of course, so we need to plan a days worth of activities where I can get it back to you.

that works but you may end up with it too full and having a leaky wheel seal ...... that defeats the pourpous completly at that point .......my $0 .02

Earlier on this page you said you need to sleep more. Idiot.

Yeah, but I don't pass up oppurtunities for visits from friends. Thats why my road trips are so exhausting.

On a totally different note, do any of y'all know how I have any friends?

Because your internet persona is just a facade LOL

Back