twin turbos on a manual truck

Put it on photobucket. If you are not comfortable with that, email it to me. I will dump it on my photobucket and post it here.

I don't think we're tracking straight on my idea of keeping video evidence of me doing 200 footers off of the internet.

No one said it had to be on a public road. It's legal at a drag strip. You could do 1320 footers.

The video in existence is what says it's on a public road. Besides, you can't exactly prove the streetability of a setup except by running it on the street. Standing on the converter and launching at the track proves little.

My point was just to suggest that even a modestly sized set of compounds can and will perform very well on the street when tuned well. That means the fuel comes in with the air, not a billowing wall of smoke trying to light the charger by snuffing it out. Poking at Forrest was just for fun.

For instance, a friend of mine who also runs a 7.3 with a somewhat similarly sized set of compounds recently dynoed 590rwhp on fuel in the same program he wrote to pass the Colorado emissions test that produces zero smoke. That same setup did 1038rwhp corrected on a 248c with some spray in a hotter program.

I wish to hell my second stage was larger every day.

The video in existence is what says it's on a public road. Besides, you can't exactly prove the streetability of a setup except by running it on the street. Standing on the converter and launching at the track proves little.

My point was just to suggest that even a modestly sized set of compounds can and will perform very well on the street when tuned well. That means the fuel comes in with the air, not a billowing wall of smoke trying to light the charger by snuffing it out. Poking at Forrest was just for fun.

For instance, a friend of mine who also runs a 7.3 with a somewhat similarly sized set of compounds recently dynoed 590rwhp on fuel in the same program he wrote to pass the Colorado emissions test that produces zero smoke. That same setup did 1038rwhp corrected on a 248c with some spray in a hotter program.

I wish to hell my second stage was larger every day.

Fine.

I just like watching videos of diesel trucks.

Explain how calling a spade a spade is "being a badass".

And what bullsh*t? I ran a GT47-88 with a GTP38R (66mm) for over a year with a ZF6 manual trans there genius. On top of that I ran (and am still running) the largest housings made for those two chargers, a 1.39 and a 1.15... spools up exceptionally well. IIRC when the gates are programmed tight it produces over 60lbs of boost under 2000rpm...

BS? Try again.

you had a ZF6 behind a 12v Cummins? :confused:

turbos

Wow i didnt think the responses would be like that. I enjoy the reading. I have to say not all turbo setups are for everyone. I wanted to know if it was feasable for a compound setup with a manual truck. I thank all of you for the responses and wonder would an hx35 with an s400 like the one majestic sells be a good setup. I really want just a daily driver with some power. I was hoping to be building about 500hp to the wheels. I have a single 66 71 12 on it now and it is fairly laggy. I have been kicking the idea of compounds and wondered what you guys would have to say. I have to say you have a lot to say on the matter. If i was to use the hx 35 as the top what would be the downside to using a 480 vs a 475? Would the turbine housing on the hx 35 create a restriction at that point? Would i have to get a turbine housing on the 36 in the 16cm range? Thanks all :rockwoot:

ahh Charles, I see you were running a 7.3... 1.24x the displacement of a 5.9 and I've got to assume the heads flow better than a 12v Cummins because ANY head flows better...

so you had a ball bearing top turbo that moved SLIGHTLY more lbs/min than an S362 on an engine with 1.24x more displacement and it spooled up well? gee, imagine that! :rolleyes:

an S256 or maybe even an S258 map is scaled to an S362 at about 1:1.24... you think that might hit like a freight train on a 12v with a bottom turbo scaled down from your GT47-88 like gee... I don't know an S475?!?!? (a little smaller than that actually) I'm kinda thinkin' it might spool up pretty damn good... you?

go impress yourself somewhere else

Wow i didnt think the responses would be like that. I enjoy the reading. I have to say not all turbo setups are for everyone. I wanted to know if it was feasable for a compound setup with a manual truck. I thank all of you for the responses and wonder would an hx35 with an s400 like the one majestic sells be a good setup. I really want just a daily driver with some power. I was hoping to be building about 500hp to the wheels. I have a single 66 71 12 on it now and it is fairly laggy. I have been kicking the idea of compounds and wondered what you guys would have to say. I have to say you have a lot to say on the matter. If i was to use the hx 35 as the top what would be the downside to using a 480 vs a 475? Would the turbine housing on the hx 35 create a restriction at that point? Would i have to get a turbine housing on the 36 in the 16cm range? Thanks all :rockwoot:

you mean you don't like your 66 on a 12v??!? Charles LOVED his on his 7.3 :rolleyes:

anyhow, if you're only looking at about 500rwhp, you can have a lot of fun w/ a little 62mm single... but, if you want to tow with that kind of power, twins are the only real way to do it IMO.

the downside of the 480 on the bottom of a 35 vs. a 475 is it's going to spool slower, and your 35 is going to limit power anyhow. There is absolutely no reason to run a 480 at 500hp! your area under the curve at that power level will be greater w/ the 75 and the truck will be quicker overall vs. the 480(Something Chuck fails to grasp)

I wouldn't run anything smaller than an 18.5 on a 35 being used in twins (lookie there Chuckie, I recomended a large housing, imagine that!)

Thank you sir that is what im looking for. I havent been able to drive my 66 much. I just really wanted to make 500 rwhp. That is now changed. I think i will save my compounds for later. I wasnt sure what it was going to take to make a compound setup. I knew that the 35 was the limiter but can you explain to me why it is? Is it the fact that it just doesnt flow enough flow to pick up the power? Im trying to learn the turbo game and it seems like voodo in a since. If one turbo worked for everyone they would make only one and sell that one. But that isnt the case they make hundreds if not thousands. I dont know much of the 66 that i have maybe it is a tuning issue and i have to just play with it. I called garmon and jeff told me on afc tuning to pull it off. I read alot on here and everyone seems to say to keep it and tune it. I have to say i have a lot to absorb in this thread. Thanks and take care.

what's the rest of your combo? really, if you're not much over 500hp right now, I'd just put a 62/71 or a 62/68 on it and drive it... when you're wanting to make a leap in power, hang another turbo under it :)

turbos

I have a 94 4x4 5 speed. I rebuilt it using the mahle marine style pistons. I have .020 over head gasket hd valvesprings. I have the 175 hp pump 4k gsk 2095 rack plug 191 dvs 0 plate slid forward. I have some pdr 370s and 4 inch downpipe and 5 inch straight exhaust. I wonder if the injectors are a little on the holdback of it. Im new to it and the first one i have built. I also have a water meth system that i havent even hooked up yet. I wonder what do you think i did the afc mods and have the foot with shop air to open about 22psi. It seems somewhat laggy and i can hit 40psi boost fairly well. I talked to chris at ed and he said that turbo should be ok to low 60s. I dont want to go more than 55 with it just to be safe. Thats what i have thanks for your time.

yeah, the 370's aren't the most efficient sticks. You could get the pop pressures bumped on them to clean them up a little. I'm tellin' ya man, if you can borrow someone's 62/71 and hang it on there, you won't believe the difference. I ran mine at 48 on my 12v w/ the ported head and 50psi on my 12v w/ the unported head.

the 62/68 might be a better balanced turbo, but the spool-up improvement over your 66/71 will still be night and day, and you can find a used 62/71 fairly easy.

at your power level, there just isn't a need for the 66 IMO... you may have 10-20 more peak power, but your average power from 1800-3800rpm will be FAR greater w/ the smaller turbo. that's what wins races (and is worlds more fun on the street)

It would be hard for me to barrow a 62. I was wanting to buy one first and got lucky with this turbo. I work at a mack dealer and was able to get it the exhaust housing was cracked. I called bullseye and got the turbine housing. I called chris at ed and got the kick the can wastegate actuator. I dont have alot in the turbo at all. I just got done driving it and it seems to hit hard at about 1800 rpm it wont pull much past 3200 i believe i may have a fuel pressure issue. I have a couple of overflow valves and may check pressures. I was told to get a better injector and was thinking in the 5x.014 range. I havent found out who to buy from first chris at ed has some but i have to save for some time to get them. I wonder if you can help me with a turbo illeterate on measuring wheels? Do you measure the middle of the wheel or more towards the backing plate side? I measured the middle and get 66mm and when i measure the larger area at the backing plate impeller blades i get 91mm. Im probably not even close but im trying to learn what i can and i have to say thanks for your time. I have seen alot and read alot of what you say. I remember your old avitar picture with stewie griffin with that soda. That was fresh. Thanks for your time and paticence with me.

if it's not pulling past 3200, it could be a timing issue... my truck pulled strong to 4,000 with a stock fuel system :)

I'd see if you could sell that turbo on ebay and use that money for a different one :)

I have checked the timing and i have it set at 18* I made sure to check it and that is where it is at. I dont know is there any way it could be the gov springs. I havent played with them much.

ive only been to this site for about an hour and ive already learned more than i knew other than all the crap flinging it was really useful im in the same boat as this guy with my truck i want something that is going to tow nice and run great but im not looking for a whole lot past 550 at this stage i have the the turbo from dallas turbo sitting in my garage i got it from a friend for 550 bucks it supposedly has a smaller exhaust housing on it and is a 72 mm compressor but i really dont know i havent taken it apart to see would that work alright under my H1C?

Back