3rd Gen Replacement Radiator

Tobin

5.7 IDI Powaa!
What you guys using for a replacement radiator?

Mine started leaking again. Original started leaking a few years ago and I swapped it out with a OEM used one I had laying around. Now it has finally started to leak.

OEM Mopar is obsolete.

Mishimoto is $950 and is 1.3X" thick core. OEM is 1.65" ish thick core. Most aftermarket is a thinner and smaller (height and width) core.

I hate aftermarket junk that is sub-par to OEM. It is hot in Florida. I don't want some thinner, smaller core in my truck when I am towing in 100* heat here.

I replaced mine with one from Orielys about 3 yrs ago.

It was the same thickness and looked exactly like the oem one.

I can’t say I would recommend them to everyone, but Oreilleys brand in mine. 5 years and about 150k miles plus whatever the previous owner put on it. Can’t complain.

From O'reillys Website:

Murray Heat Transfer
Core Depth (in): 1-1/4 Inch

Why can't they make one the same size as the factory one???

I had an Advance Auto one in mine when the OEM replacement started to leak. I think it was the same thickness, it fit fine and worked well when towing gross of 40k without issues. It might be able to be thinner due to better flow and still get the same cooling capacity, not sure on that but that is what I would assume.

I bought an all aluminum one from amazon last year. definitely a Chinese made. The fitment was decent. I didn't have to modify any brackets. I think it was call mr cool or something. I'll look on my lunch break tonight.

Ive heard good things about the On3 stuff. I don't get all the mishimoto hype and price that goes along with it.

Ive heard good things about the On3 stuff. I don't get all the mishimoto hype and price that goes along with it.

I completely agree with the hype. Well overrated for a radiator that is made at the same factory most all other aluminum radiators are made in, from the main land. Couple years ago I went down this rabbit hole. From my research and reading, all aluminum radiators are are sourced from only a few manufactures. Never did I find anything stating otherwise. Unless you're buying a purpose built tube type radiator. Those can be sourced domestically.

In my 05 truck I tried AEM aluminum. Bigger all around meant it must be better. Before installing it I noticed some suspect areas that could leak. Local radiator shop repaired 4 separate leak area for me. Ran the AEM radiator about 20k miles before welds at the bottom of a tank started leaking. Tried repairing a couple times and finally gave up. Installed a parts store OEM replacement and moved on. Yes it's thinner as described but cools just fine when towing, with AC blowing, 95* ambient humid Houston air, crawling in traffic.

Save yourself the time and effort, buy the OEM replacement from vato parts and move on.

Side note: I do run aluminum radiators in my 91 cummins mainly because of price. An OEM style replacement is near $500 plus shipping. In 12 years of ownership I have installed two aluminum radiators from ebay. They do have a "5 year warranty" from most any seller, but good luck finding that chinese seller 5 years later. Last one I purchased leaked right out of the box. Sent the seller a video and they sent a replacement without question. None of them seem to fit perfectly, always have to modify the lower hose in some way.

To follow up with this, I looked at all the parts store replacements and they were all smaller than factory from what I could see online. Looking through some posts on Cummins Forum, the AFE all aluminum had some good reviews and was actually larger than stock. It's made in China like everything else, so we will see. Ron Davis and Griffin make radiators but with a huge price tag.

I bought a AFE and got it installed. Now to upgrade the transmission cooler and remove the transmission heat exchanger on the side of the block.

I completely agree with the hype. Well overrated for a radiator that is made at the same factory most all other aluminum radiators are made in, from the main land. Couple years ago I went down this rabbit hole. From my research and reading, all aluminum radiators are are sourced from only a few manufactures. Never did I find anything stating otherwise. Unless you're buying a purpose built tube type radiator. Those can be sourced domestically.

In my 05 truck I tried AEM aluminum. Bigger all around meant it must be better. Before installing it I noticed some suspect areas that could leak. Local radiator shop repaired 4 separate leak area for me. Ran the AEM radiator about 20k miles before welds at the bottom of a tank started leaking. Tried repairing a couple times and finally gave up. Installed a parts store OEM replacement and moved on. Yes it's thinner as described but cools just fine when towing, with AC blowing, 95* ambient humid Houston air, crawling in traffic.

Save yourself the time and effort, buy the OEM replacement from vato parts and move on.

Side note: I do run aluminum radiators in my 91 cummins mainly because of price. An OEM style replacement is near $500 plus shipping. In 12 years of ownership I have installed two aluminum radiators from ebay. They do have a "5 year warranty" from most any seller, but good luck finding that chinese seller 5 years later. Last one I purchased leaked right out of the box. Sent the seller a video and they sent a replacement without question. None of them seem to fit perfectly, always have to modify the lower hose in some way.

AEM = AFE? I just saw this, hopefully I have better luck. I hate swapping this thing out.

For reference. Auto parts replacement radiator with plastic tanks in my 05 truck currently.

Was driving empty this morning at 65mph, ambient was 37*F, 40-50% humidity, maybe 1000 lbs of tools and equipment in the truck. Coolant temp was 185* - 188* consistent while cruising. Trans temp sub 100*F.

Last week while hauling 12 yards of sand in the dump trailer, ambient was about 80*F, humidity was in the 75% range, lots of stop and go through town.
Only once did I see coolant temp crest 200*F. It briefly hit 201* and dropped down. AC was on while towing. Trans temp ranging from 150*-170*F.
This was one of very few times I have heard the fan clutch kick in and roar on this truck.

For reference. Auto parts replacement radiator with plastic tanks in my 05 truck currently.

Was driving empty this morning at 65mph, ambient was 37*F, 40-50% humidity, maybe 1000 lbs of tools and equipment in the truck. Coolant temp was 185* - 188* consistent while cruising. Trans temp sub 100*F.

Last week while hauling 12 yards of sand in the dump trailer, ambient was about 80*F, humidity was in the 75% range, lots of stop and go through town.
Only once did I see coolant temp crest 200*F. It briefly hit 201* and dropped down. AC was on while towing. Trans temp ranging from 150*-170*F.
This was one of very few times I have heard the fan clutch kick in and roar on this truck.

I got scared and decided to send the aFe back. I think I found a stock replacement at Summit and XDP with the same dimensions as stock.

Around here it is 90*+ weather, 90% humidity and a lot of stop and go traffic. Summer time is BRUTAL on cooling systems here.

The same goes for Houston Texas. Too much concrete that holds the heat.

I think you made a good choice by sticking with stock replacement.

So I saw a company that I really like posting an aftermarket thermostatic bypass.

Why do people not comprehend how thermostats work, and that they don't exist for cooling?

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

With my personal experience, I would change the bypass thermostat for a quality one from a parts store.
YMMV

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Contemplating a Fleece coolant bypass while I have the transmission out and the coolant drained.

Bypassed the transmission/coolant heat exchanger. Now to add a larger transmission cooler.

I did exactly this on mine. 6 years or so on Fleece bypass setup without issue.

Removed the factory heat exchanger, installed 6.0 ford trans cooler, 1/2" lines to and from trans to cooler. Next I'm thinking about adding either one of these to my trans cooling circuit. The trans fluid can hit 190* rather easily mid summer when towing trailers in traffic.

Lesser expensive
Summit Racing SUM-331000 Summit Racing™ Heat Sink Transmission Coolers | Summit Racing

More expensive.
Derale Cooling Products 51908 Derale Stacked Plate Fluid Coolers | Summit Racing

Back