Improvements suggestions for the future of SS diesel

COMP461

Comp Diesel Sponsor
1st
GREAT JOB JEFF, and friends

You are making history, and this will be the fist in a series of Super Stock diesel events.

The premise of this event is to make innovation, and driving the biggest factor in qualifying and winning this event. The rules need to evolve slowly, and become stable.

If the rules become stable, then people will invest in trucks, and equipment, with the reassurance that there rule changes wil not make their investment worthless.

This class appeal, is it’s restrictive formula , and not unlimited modifications resulting in uncontrollable hp and resultant part breakages. The limited modification selection makes the innovator out there wake up and look at building a competitive truck.

When I say that this class is about big money , that is really a misnomer , it is, for a person that’s only participation is a credit card , and I have been asked to build a truck, and I answered what a turn key competitive truck would cost to build.

This is not the case with a guy that gets his hands dirty , and can thank outside the box.

There will be a diverse group of trucks show up , a few will be heavily funded corporate shows cases. A few trucks will be credit card bought for gentleman drivers, and most will a few guys getting together and making a great attempt. This is very similar to the group you see in Competition Eliminator.

So I’m going to put out a few suggestion to make this class become all it can be .

1st a drive , maybe 25 to 50 miles , and then to the staging lanes for qualifying . you do this before each qualifying pass. This will also get the surrendering public aware of the event .

2nd more restrictive turbo rules. Several thoughts, a claimer rule on the turbo. Put a $1000 claimer on the turbo, after the race. You give them your turbo , and you get theirs for $1000 . you have to be in the top 16 .
A spec frame turbo

The premise of this event is to have some fun with a big payout for a few people.
It's already turned into something it wasnt intended to be but money will do that to folks.
It was supposed to be for average guys with single chargers and no nitrous....now you want spec fuel, spec chargers and 3 foot tall wheelies.
All you want is another pro class....not a fun class for the Everyman.

We won't know until qualifying is over if the rules are a success. If we have a field of trucks running 2-3 tenths apart we have found a good rule set. If a hand full of trucks run significantly faster the rules need to be changed. I hope the rules give a guy a very slight advantage if he has spent big bucks on a turbo and maybe a slight advantage for something in the fuel. This first race will be a test for the rules. Thanks vendors for all the cash!:Cheer:

The premise of this event is to have some fun with a big payout for a few people.
It's already turned into something it wasnt intended to be but money will do that to folks.
It was supposed to be for average guys with single chargers and no nitrous....now you want spec fuel, spec chargers and 3 foot tall wheelies.
All you want is another pro class....not a fun class for the Everyman.

Heads up racing, is never going to be cheap, the more restrictive, the more competitive it will become. This is a good thing. No one is going to go in to a unlimited class racing, to see this look at Pro Street. You could offer $100,000, and you could not get a full field of trucks of Pro Street trucks with respective performance show up. People are tired of having to bring several transmissions, and breaking parts. Fans want to see two trucks race to the stripe.
The 100 truck field is getting close to being full. This is a statement to the current event. For the most part the people competing in this event know that is not going to be easy. There is no way to make a event for the average guy , if you make the rules stock turbo, then you will see very expensive stock turbo’s, In competition Eliminator the econo class’s rule what is speced as a stock 750 double pumper Holly carburetor. My 750 carb had about $2500 worth of work done to it, and it looked total stock. It was worth 30 hp.

As long as people race there will be some racers spending money to win. I will be one of those at any race I run. Just like my dragster, I fully intend to be the quickest diesel on the planet , or I would not be doing a dragster.

Has anybody thought about just requiring ONE frame turbo...like oh say a relativly average joe blow S300? I mean think about it...how many of us started out with a decent single? Haven't we all seen the 3.0 or even 3.2 turbos with 2.6 covers on them. Whats the biggest S300 out there right now? Bullseye power has listed an S375. If you require the cruise, you might eliminate these odd S300's. Or just screw it and say S362, S364, S366, S368, S371. Doesn't htt make the 71-73-??, Only reason i threw that one in there. Just my 2 cents obviously. But think of how much of the sport only uses an S300 frame turbo.

The flip side of this im hoping (all well and good) is there will ALWAYS be those people that say "welp, ima build me a "$10,000" s300 with "unobtainum" wheels and "superduper lube 360 bearings". Great for those ppl BUT think of what that could do for the S300 market. Isn't that the standard-ish turbo frame in this sport?

Thanks for letting me vent :Cheer:

Has anybody thought about just requiring ONE frame turbo...like oh say a relativly average joe blow S300? I mean think about it...how many of us started out with a decent single? Haven't we all seen the 3.0 or even 3.2 turbos with 2.6 covers on them. Whats the biggest S300 out there right now? Bullseye power has listed an S375. If you require the cruise, you might eliminate these odd S300's. Or just screw it and say S362, S364, S366, S368, S371. Doesn't htt make the 71-73-??, Only reason i threw that one in there. Just my 2 cents obviously. But think of how much of the sport only uses an S300 frame turbo.

The flip side of this im hoping (all well and good) is there will ALWAYS be those people that say "welp, ima build me a "$10,000" s300 with "unobtainum" wheels and "superduper lube 360 bearings". Great for those ppl BUT think of what that could do for the S300 market. Isn't that the standard-ish turbo frame in this sport?

Thanks for letting me vent :Cheer:

Good God go read the first thread on this...then you'll need to vent again.

Chris

I like the turbo claimer rule. I can show up with my hx35 and a $1000, and get me the best 2.6 charger there. LOL

My suggestion for improvements would be. Fair for everyone!

11.80 index Bracket ET

Sportman tree.

One power adder-----single stage Nitrous, twin turbo, water meth, water, propane, stacked programmer.ECT

No weight limits

No progressive nitrous

Single turbo, Max 71 mm comp, jurnal bearing

Street tires

I have been thinking about this too. Why not instead of a quick 16 format just run them all. We would only be looking at something like 8 rounds total. You could give everybody a couple practice hits to get dialed in before starting the eliminations. It probably wouldn't be much more then what we will be running with qualifying and all.
I think overall this would be more fair and give everyone a better chance. A good racer that was good on the tree with a truck that could go rounds would even his chances against someone that has the fastest truck. And it may draw more people in because you wouldn't necessarily have to have the fastest truck to win.

Back