48re overdrive brake clutch wear

24vbummins

On a 48re, what could cause the overdrive brake clutches and steels to wear unevenly and extremely fast? I haven’t disassembled the rest of the overdrive section yet. Transmission was built by me approx 6 years ago and never shifted quite right into overdrive. Everything else inside the trans so far looks good.

Did you set up the overdrive housing for depth? the large spring hold the brake clutches when not in overdrive. weak can slip. if that's good when overdrive is applied this is two step process it applies the direct clutches while releasing the brake clutches. I suppose if two small of the selective spacer was used it wouldn't release the brake clutches all the way causing them to drag.... they are much smaller then the direct clutches so they would wear quicker. just my$.02 Whats the horsepower level?

Close to stock horsepower. Basic tuner and exhaust. I honestly don’t remember setting the depth of he overdrive housing and after reading for about the last hour I have a suspicion that the overdrive piston selective spacer may have been too thin. And the Chrysler book I found on the 48 shows the overdrive brake clutches being engaged in overdrive while the overdrive-direct clutch is disengaged.

ok my wording was backwards, the small clutches I called the brake clutches are od/direct in the book. the overdrive apply clutches are the big ones.. same rules apply.

Just curious what made you pull the unit? was something finally giving up after 6 years?

Last edited:
The clutch material was causing the torque converter lockup to stick. And we swapped the truck to a g56. I’m going to build this 48 again for my 14.

Back