Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Mishimoto

Name: Mishimoto
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Mishimoto 6.4L Intercooler Testing!

We don't just make products, we put them to the test as well! When our engineers design a new product, it goes through rigorous testing to ensure that our customers are going to receive the highest quality product.

The Ford 6.4L Powerstroke Intercooler is no different. Our intercooler went through intense testing to make sure our intercooler would offer the increase in performance our customers were looking for!

Our Performance Intercooler lowers AITs by 21%, and has a 50% less pressure drop than stock. The all-aluminum construction also offers more efficient heat dissipation, while the bar and plate core ensures strength and reliability. This intercooler, which is 18% thicker and 20% larger in volume than the stock intercooler, is guaranteed to keep your truck cool, and look good doing it!

Engineering Report - http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...ing-Report.pdf

Product Page - http://www.mishimoto.com/ford-6-4l-p...ler-08-10.html

Post up your questions and comments below!

PLX temperature and pressure sensors were used to obtain our data.

Click the image to open in full size.

Our Engineering Report shows the hard data, proving that our intercooler was built to perform!

Thanks,
Tyler

Last edited by Mishimoto; 11-14-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
What was wrong with your temp sensor on the stock run? No way temperature was spiking like that. Still obvious your IC is better but I find it anoying there is garbage data there.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Mishimoto

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
What was wrong with your temp sensor on the stock run? No way temperature was spiking like that. Still obvious your IC is better but I find it anoying there is garbage data there.
Good question! The data in this graph is real world data, and was not altered in any way. The reason the data jumps like that, is because of the air turbulence in the intercooler, and the sensitivity of the sensors. Please let me know if you have any other questions, as I would be happy to help!

Thanks,
Tyler

Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
I've made a load of pulls on a superflow with fast sensor's with exposed elements at sample rate off 100/sec and never seen anything like that. But if it floats your boat.

Like I said your charge air cooler is out performing but you padded it on a spike. Looks like your cooler has a larger thermal battery and near the end of the run there was not such a significant difference in temperature alone. Just observations.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Mishimoto

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I've made a load of pulls on a superflow with fast sensor's with exposed elements at sample rate off 100/sec and never seen anything like that. But if it floats your boat.

Like I said your charge air cooler is out performing but you padded it on a spike. Looks like your cooler has a larger thermal battery and near the end of the run there was not such a significant difference in temperature alone. Just observations.
I would like to provide you with a response from our engineers, but unfortunately they have already left for the weekend. I will make sure to follow up with them regarding your questions on Monday, and get back to you with an answer.

Thanks,
Tyler

Old 11-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Mishimoto

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I spoke with our engineers regarding the data, and they explained a few things to me.

First, like I said before, this data is real world data, and was not altered in any way. Many programs have smoothing factors / filters built in, so they eliminate spikes that are outside of the STD deviation. This is why Winpep has a smooting factor for dyno graphs. This data does not have any filters applied to it.

Second, the lower the sampling rate, the more drastic the changes will appear.- i.e. a 100/sec sampling rate will appear to have a smoother line than a 10/sec sample rate.

Third, the cause of the spikes is due to a mixture of hot and cold air coming through the intercooler. Because of the mixture, the sensors are reading the changing temperatures, showing a spike in the data. Try looking at our data applying a smoothing factor yourself, and see the average. The spikes in the data are not anything to worry about, but rather the average cooler temperature that our cooler provides.

Hopefully this clears everything up, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Tyler

Old 11-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Mishimoto

Member`s Gallery
Here's a cool picture someone sent me on Facebook. This intercooler was custom painted to match the truck!

If you have any installed pictures of your intercooler, post them up!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
RDPsmoker

Name: RDPsmoker
Title: OUT TO LUNCH..
Member`s Gallery
looks good guys! Have you done any for the other brands?
-DPC
-SUNCOAST
03 3500
-Stock for now

Old 11-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Mishimoto

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDPsmoker View Post
looks good guys! Have you done any for the other brands?
We have products for the Cummins and Duramax as well! What truck do you drive?

Closed Thread