Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion!
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! Tool and Shop Discussion!

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #101
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu795 View Post
Figure a hard barrier seal between house and garage would be necessary... Another option would place the living area under positive pressure fresh air ventilation.. Nothing would leak from shop to living area

I would think your utilities will be quite high with that setup, as you are always using fresh make up air. Of course sharing a common wall between the garage and house might more than offset the increased utilities.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 03-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #102
SCHMITTY

Name: SCHMITTY
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
I run a unit heater - reznor 80k btu. It's enough to keep the shop 70* when its -20* outside . I'm sure it would go higher but I have never tried. I heat my apartment separate . I build hospitals, airports, college housing, military barracks etc.. Government work. I end up with nice left overs from projects. All my walls are r38 or higher or 2 layers of r19 which I staggered the joints on plus the existing shop insulation which was probably equal to r10. If I build an entirely new building when this ones paid off I'll be going in floor with pex or the like.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #103
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
I would think your utilities will be quite high with that setup, as you are always using fresh make up air. Of course sharing a common wall between the garage and house might more than offset the increased utilities.
Could be.. Seams it could go either way..
1/2-1psi pressure differential is enough to shut a door..
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor

Old 03-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #104
Richter415

Name: Richter415
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
This is exactly what I'm building. The shop is 40x64x16 fully finished interior with Spray Foam, 4" rebar concrete 4500psi, with a 12x24 lean to that is the office/bathroom.

Inside: bottom 8' will be FRP board, and the top 8' steel.

Apartment will be 28x40 2 story with a 1 car garage. 3 bed, 1.5 bath (this part is being built this fall)

Bottom picture popped up on my tapatalk and it took me a second to realize why it was familiar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #105
tornado112

Name: tornado112
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
125K is very reasonable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
This is exactly what I'm building. The shop is 40x64x16 fully finished interior with Spray Foam, 4" rebar concrete 4500psi, with a 12x24 lean to that is the office/bathroom.

Inside: bottom 8' will be FRP board, and the top 8' steel.

Apartment will be 28x40 2 story with a 1 car garage. 3 bed, 1.5 bath (this part is being built this fall)
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

This project will be near $125k all said and done.
94 Regular Cab Intake 5x12 Contagious Injectors 4kGSK and 60lb springs Adjustable Pump Gear and Timing Cover Auto Meter Steering Box Brace Sphon Adjustable Trac Bar Sphon Sway Bar Links Vision 19.5 Michelin 265-75-19.5 MegaTREK

Old 03-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #106
bnold

Name: bnold
Title: Cummins. What else?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post

Commercially we try to keep our buildings 0.01"-0.02" positive.

More and more residential HVAC systems bring in and condition outside air to positively pressurize the house. Makes for a cleaner space and prevents 'sick houses'. A 5-ton residential unit is generally between 1800-2000cfm and 10% would be slated for outside air.

If you think about it, many houses are actually negative a lot of the time, dryers blowing exhaust outside, exhaust fans for bathrooms, vent a hoods, etc... The air is sucked in through door and window seals etc... Much better to pull it in through the HVAC system, filtered and conditioned.

Yes small utility impact, but a better system overall. And could help with the shop fume/dust infiltration problem!

Old 03-23-2016, 12:40 PM   #107
IOWA

Name: IOWA
Title: Never enough.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado112 View Post
125K is very reasonable
Agreed. I have been doing a lot of the labor myself....and costs of living/labor is pretty inexpensive here compared to many area. But like all my projects, I'm sure I'll go overboard from what I planned. If I can keep it under $150k i'll be happy.
'06 Duramax RCSB - Parts Runner

Closed Thread