271 Conversion on a 94 and 02

JDPlowboy

Soo as the title says im getting ready to start converting a 2002 dodge std cab longbed 5 speed (mine) and a 94 the same body style and transmission (buddies) We both broke our output shafts at the pulling for camp pull in Jefferson City, Mo last weekend Mine was a 241 DLD and his was a 241 DHD. We both broke the exact same way.. I was taking off the line and didnt even get the clutch out all the way and it started poppin and stopped the truck, same with him. And we both pulled the 4 inch stub of output shaft with our driveshafts the next morning.

So we both decided to do the np271 conversion I know to the best of my knowledge that it will be a straight up bolt up conversion with my truck. But with his i have read there will be a problem with his speedometer sensor? We are both going to go with a 2005 driveshaft that will have 1480 ujoints and have them lengthened to fit our 5 speeds. And we both will be putting the rear flange style yoke on the pumpkin. I will be posting up pictures of both installs down the line. Just wanted to hear some feedback on anybody that has done this with their trucks and hear their difficulties anybodys feed back will be greatly appreciated!!

Strein

i got a 96 automatic truck and the t-case is messing up, it wont hold in 4x4 no matter what......so i think i need to start looking for one.....what year truck did yours come out of??? and i dont care about the speed sensor in mine, its a pulling truck.....

If you guys are looking to upgrade the front drive shaft to 1410's and ditch the CV joint PM and I will give you a few details...just did it. There are no off the shelf parts avaiable to do it I did some thinking and tinkering and it worked out great.

Also, for the rear slip yoke...from what I can see or find out anyway. 2003-2005 trucks with a 6-speed had the larger yoke with 1480's.

RyanB

If you guys are looking to upgrade the front drive shaft to 1410's and ditch the CV joint PM and I will give you a few details...just did it. There are no off the shelf parts avaiable to do it I did some thinking and tinkering and it worked out great.

Also, for the rear slip yoke...from what I can see or find out anyway. 2003-2005 trucks with a 6-speed had the larger yoke with 1480's.

RyanB

i am going to guess ill shear a front pinion or blow a lockout before i hurt anything else in the front of my dodge.....

Any new body stil 271-D transfercase out of a automatic transmission with the manual shift will work for you.

i got a 96 automatic truck and the t-case is messing up, it wont hold in 4x4 no matter what......so i think i need to start looking for one.....what year truck did yours come out of??? and i dont care about the speed sensor in mine, its a pulling truck.....

the transfercase is coming from an 03 manual. and i got a driveshaft coming out of a 05 6 speed with 1480's.. hopefully all i will have to do is have the driveshaft lengthened 4 inches and get a new rearend yoke to accept the 1480 ujoints

Any new body stil 271-D transfercase out of a automatic transmission with the manual shift will work for you.

im going to assume that up there, translates into this down here.....

the transfercase is coming from an 03 manual. and i got a driveshaft coming out of a 05 6 speed with 1480's.. hopefully all i will have to do is have the driveshaft lengthened 4 inches and get a new rearend yoke to accept the 1480 ujoints

so all i need is a 2003 and newer manual t-case and also the rear driveshaft if i want 1480's......and its just bolt in, no fabbing?? this sounds like a good time for a Dana 80 also.....

on my 99 i put a 5 speed in with the 271, and the only thing you have to change is the little shifter stub thing on the side of the t case to the one off the 241. and then maybe massage the frame rail alittle. can get some pics if ya want.

on my 99 i put a 5 speed in with the 271, and the only thing you have to change is the little shifter stub thing on the side of the t case to the one off the 241. and then maybe massage the frame rail alittle. can get some pics if ya want.

sure, post them up.....im going to have to start looking for a t-case from an 03 or newer truck....

kazairl-albums-upgrades-picture3617-271-right-241-case-left-271-just-wee-bit-bigger.jpg

kazairl-albums-upgrades-picture3620-actually-touching-just-bit-i-little-frame-modification-order.jpg

kazairl-albums-upgrades-picture3621-if-were-only-1-5-2-shorter-would-have-line-up-perfectly-slot-crossmember.jpg

kazairl-albums-upgrades-picture3618-little-tight-but-no-touchy-touchy.jpg

This is on an 02 QCLB with a 6 speed and an 03 271 frame needed to be clearanced a little. IT missed the body seam on mine but some trucks have to modify. My rear driveshaft had to be shortened 4" to make it fit but I hear that varies from truck to truck. Front driveshaft is usually ok.

Vacumn switch needs to be switched with the one from the old T-case. thats all I can remember doing off the top of my head.

hey sorry wont be able to get them up tonight going to watch star trek!!!

you watch Star Trek??? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Kaz, the fit really dosent bother me too much as this is a track only truck and it only cost me 3500 bucks so a hammer and grinder will work wonders.....

Last edited:
Allritey, I finally got my new transfer case and while i was waiting for my help to arrive i changed oil in it put my old front driveshaft on and bolted up. And then i switched out the vaccum line plugs which was a perfect swap. Then i got my help and we went together with the tcase to transmission. Everything went together goood! we had to put the jack under the drivers side of the tcase and jack up and push forward because it was bumping against the floor board in one spot but once we got past it it went into a little pocket and there is plenty of room around it when its bolted up. Then as i was tightening up the 6 bolts to hold it i had my friend swtich the rear yokes on the rear end. You will need a 3/4 inch impact for this. and then we slid the new driveshaft in ( i went with a 05 driveshaft because of the 1480 u joints) It is going to be 2 inches to long so we didnt bolt it to the rear end yoke.

Then came the time to put the skid plate back under it. The only modification i needed to do was with this step. The transfer case will hit the bolt and nut that bolts the skidplate to the crossmember. The nut is spot welded but i just put a 1/2 inch impact and 18mm socket on it and it came right off. Then on the driverside frame rail i put 3 thick flat washers inbetween each bolt to get some more clearance in between the transfer case and crossmemeber. Then came time to hook up vacuum lines and linkage. The vacuum lines hooked right up. But i spent a half hour trying to get that durn rubber grommet to go into my stock linkage! all i had to do with the linkage was loosen the 1/2 inch headed bolt and spun it to the other side of the trasfercase shifter and it worked great and then adjusted the linkage so i could get all the gears.

Then it was time to take it for a spin. I knew i didnt have the rear driveshaft but i wanted to see if it was still going to work. Started the truck put it in 4 hi and 2nd gear and started easin out on the clutch untill my foot came off the pedal.. We werent moving... So i instantly thought i bought a junk tcase. and i had my friend get under the truck and look at both front and output shafts. He could see the tail shaft spinning when i let out the clutch and the front driveshaft was spinning to!

We messed around with it for a half hour and decided we werent going anywhere so we just parked it and work on it again tonight. But as i was walking up to the house i remembered i hadnt checked to see if the new vacum plug was as long as my old one that i put into the new case. so i walked back down to the shop and pulled my old one and looked at the two side by side. The plunger on new style vacume plug was a 1/4 in longer than my old one. So i figure my plunger isnt coming in contact enough to bypas the vacum to go to actuator on the front axle? Any tips on how to fix this? How did those who have done this conversion fix this problem??

sorry i havent got any pics of mine, we have been in the field all this week. as for the vacuum stuff, i have a CAD delete kit in my truck so i dont know. i just used the sensor from the new t case.

the CAD (central axle disconnect) is it 2 piece axle shaft that has a sliding collar. the delete kits is just a soild shaft that you buy from EMS offroad. then i made my own hub kit so i have lockouts too.

Back