Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
Bustedknuckles

Name: Bustedknuckles
Title: Honey Badger
Member`s Gallery
I have two friends in your exact situation. One with a 6.0 and one with a 7.3. I'm a tech so they are always calling me for advice and help and they would always say well it just needs this yet and then it will be good. Both currently have there trucks for sale... the guy with the 6.0 bought a 7.3 as he is a die hard ford guy, the guy with the 7.3 is going to buy a cummins or duramax after seeing me DD my 530 duramax for the last 3 years without it letting me sit once and without replacing anything but brakes and a couple ball joints and my brother DD his 830 hp cummins that has never even had the head off....

Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #22
Cummins_Bred

Name: Cummins_Bred
Title: Cummins R&D Tech
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.boom View Post
Yes the mechanic that I went to bent me over really good. That was probably the biggest mistake with this truck....

My mother bought it for me and she passed away from cancer recently. So this truck holds a lot of sentimental value.
I'd say he took you for a pretty good ride...

And i'm very sorry to hear about your mother. If you want to enjoy the truck you are so very fond of, you can still love it as a 6.0 PS if you win the lottery. Otherwise, the 6 cylinder conversion will definitely take good care of you

Old 11-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
Kaiserbailey

Name: Kaiserbailey
Title: Mirrors Flipped Out
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yes the mechanic that I went to bent me over really good. That was probably the biggest mistake with this truck

There are many other reasons why I stick with this truck. My mother bought it for me and she passed away from cancer recently. So this truck holds a lot of sentimental value. Plus I really do like it when it isn't in the shop. If i were to do anything it would be a cummins swap.
Sorry to hear about your mother. I can definitely understand about the sentimental value of the truck. I say keep it! Do a cummins conversion if you have to. I won't even get rid of my 10 year old wallet my grandma bought me, even though it's falling apart.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
HeTheAethyr!

Name: HeTheAethyr!
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
sounds like you need a better mechanic

Old 11-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #25
Purn1973

Name: Purn1973
Title: Peeing in the bushes
Member`s Gallery
Reminds me of a joke I heard once.

How do you know when a mechanic has just had sex?

One of his fingers is clean.

*rim shot*

I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. Carry on.

Danny Toops, gone but never forgotten

http://www.facebook.com/Purn1973

Old 11-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #26
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
What da hell just happened.....

Old 11-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #27
holsky

Name: holsky
Member`s Gallery
I know it sentimental and everything but I would just get rid of it and not even mess with a swap... Unless it is completely done right, but I still think you would have some problems with it down the road. I've been working on one for a year now and have had nothing but problems, but most of it has been tracking down all of the issues that was never addressed when it got put in from previous guy.

But I personally wouldn't do a swap from what I have seen with this truck.

EDIT::: And something to think about you'll have another 10 grand in getting a conversion kit/ppumped 24v motor and whatever mods. Is it really worth it? Your best taking that 10 grand and putting on to another truck.

Last edited by holsky; 11-01-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #28
Purn1973

Name: Purn1973
Title: Peeing in the bushes
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
What da hell just happened.....
Too many beers just happened

Danny Toops, gone but never forgotten

http://www.facebook.com/Purn1973

Old 11-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #29
Ford diesel girl

Name: Ford diesel girl
Title: aka Pinky aka Chemobioite
Member`s Gallery
As a fellow 6.0 owner, I have had my fair share of "I am kicking mine to the curb" moments as well. Granted I haven't had the amount or types of issues as yours, it sounds like despite the truly sweet sentimental value; it may be time to cut your losses.

I am sure you could still get a nice trade-in on it, or a nice private sale amount. I hate to see a hurt 6.0 and a defeated owner, but it doesn't sound like things are moving in a positive direction for either of you.

Good luck in whatever decision you make; feel free to PM me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostnwalmart View Post
You do realize you're talking to a woman who ate the beating heart of a lion? Has knife fought grizzly bears and has a much bigger set of balls than you and your coal oraling self will ever have.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #30
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
You can't own a 6.0 without a competent, honest mechanic

Old 11-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #31
Torque Monkey

Name: Torque Monkey
Title: The show stopper!!!!!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing View Post
^ Truth!

Old 11-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #32
Ford diesel girl

Name: Ford diesel girl
Title: aka Pinky aka Chemobioite
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
x2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostnwalmart View Post
You do realize you're talking to a woman who ate the beating heart of a lion? Has knife fought grizzly bears and has a much bigger set of balls than you and your coal oraling self will ever have.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #33
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
Man, I'd just cut my losses while its running and dump it. I've heard this story so many times with the 6.0's. Not a Ford bash or anything its just not a smart place to put money.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #34
TheBigNasty

Name: TheBigNasty
Title: Project bish
Member`s Gallery
It would be nice if you were in a position to keep it, since its paid off, and get another vehicle as a driver.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #35
takedown95

Name: takedown95
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
There are many other reasons why I stick with this truck. My mother bought it for me and she passed away from cancer recently. So this truck holds a lot of sentimental value. Plus I really do like it when it isn't in the shop. If i were to do anything it would be a cummins swap.
If it's sentimental item than all else is out the window. We are no longer talking about can it be fixed or not or should you get rid of it. I have those types of things in my life and no matter how much money they cost or I'd save by not having them around I keep them.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #36
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
It confuses me. If you go through 3 long blocks, has the ECM PCM FICM or whatever controls that engine been replaced with the wiring? A bad wire sending mixed signals can mess it up quick.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #37
Bullrack

Name: Bullrack
Member`s Gallery
Mine was a total lemon thru 3 6.0 engines, not a lemon any longer! Lol
'03 F350 CrewCab Lariat 4X4 DRW 12V Cummins, P&P head with 60# valvesprings, Colt cam, 4K GSK, 20* Timing, GDS 60mm HX35/HT3b Twins, JGS Ext. Gate, Fuelab, ZF6spd with Valair Ceramic/Kevlar, manual hubs, 3.73's, 5.5" lift w/285 Dayton Timberlines, 2" Wheel Spacers.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #38
camarokiller

Name: camarokiller
Member`s Gallery
I owned a 04 that I put 240,000 miles on before it was totaled about a year ago. Since then ive had a 12 valve, which lve always dreamed of owning, but I have to say I miss my 6.0 every minute of every day. I just had minor issues one set of injectors and a ficm. Idk if I was lucky or what. I really do miss my truck I just dont feel my 12 valve compares.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #39
6.boom

Name: 6.boom
Title: Unreliable
Member`s Gallery
I do love this forum! Thank you everyone for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins_Bred View Post
I'd say he took you for a pretty good ride...

And i'm very sorry to hear about your mother. If you want to enjoy the truck you are so very fond of, you can still love it as a 6.0 PS if you win the lottery. Otherwise, the 6 cylinder conversion will definitely take good care of you
Thank you. An yes the mechanic that did the job was not a good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserbailey View Post
Sorry to hear about your mother. I can definitely understand about the sentimental value of the truck. I say keep it! Do a cummins conversion if you have to. I won't even get rid of my 10 year old wallet my grandma bought me, even though it's falling apart.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeTheAethyr! View Post
sounds like you need a better mechanic
The mechanic is 3 hours away back where my dad lives. As i did not foot the bill for the 12k (poor college student) my dad chose the mechanic. The original price quote for head studs alone was 7k. I tried to convince him to go to them but..he didn't listen. Lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford diesel girl View Post
As a fellow 6.0 owner, I have had my fair share of "I am kicking mine to the curb" moments as well. Granted I haven't had the amount or types of issues as yours, it sounds like despite the truly sweet sentimental value; it may be time to cut your losses.

I am sure you could still get a nice trade-in on it, or a nice private sale amount. I hate to see a hurt 6.0 and a defeated owner, but it doesn't sound like things are moving in a positive direction for either of you.

Good luck in whatever decision you make; feel free to PM me!
I appreciate it! I am a die hard optimist so I continue to see the light at the end of the tunnel.....but that might just be a train heading my way

Quote:
My current mechanic is the diesel guy at my dealership where I work. He seems to know the basics, he's not a diesel enthusiast so he doesn't know much about mods. But he does good basic work and keeps me up to date with everything going on. He always checks with me before doing anything and even shows me whats going on. Which i really appreciate.

It's been convenient because my work has graciously provides me a vehicle every time my truck goes in the shop. This 6.0L is my only vehicle and im 3 hours away from anyone I can depend on to help me when I am in a tight spot. I am currently in the market for a good 6.0L mechanic who knows the ins and outs of them, not just the basics. Someone I can go to and they can look at my truck to give me advice. So far no luck, doesn't seem to be any 6.0 mechanics around here.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #40
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
I wouldn't desecrate the truck by swapping a Cummings in it

Closed Thread