47RE: Installed low reverse drum - it spins both ways - what is wrong?

joestewart

Assembling the main case of a 47RE.

I inspected the old low roller clutch cam (which is pressed into the case) and it seemed ok to me (take this with a grain of salt here - I am a novice).

The old low roller clutch assembly had a broken cage, but all the rollers ("needle bearings") looked alright to me. I replaced it with a used low roller clutch.

When I installed the low/reverse drum and inner race into the assembly, it went in fine and spins fine.

My problem is that is spins BOTH ways (clockwise AND counter clockwise).

It is supposed to ONLY spin in the clockwise direction. It should LOCK in the counter clockwise direction.

What could be wrong here? I am ordering a new low roller clutch cam and a new low roller clutch assembly. I will have to bring the case to a tranny shop in order to get that cam pressed in.

I am uncertain if this will fix my problem, however. This has to be my fix, right?

I bought a new bearing and installed it and it worked. But in retrospect, I don't think there was anything wrong with my used bearing. I just did not seat it all the way into the recess. It was more of a "user error" rather than equipment failure. PM sent. Thanks

Back