Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Diesel Conversions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Powerplant swaps, Repowers, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
" THE DEMIZE"

Name: " THE DEMIZE"
Title: "Talkin Big Boy Ice"
Member`s Gallery
My DT466/Superduty Build!

I have already started this and would like to share this with you guys and maybe get some opinions and tips. Here it is from the begining ..This was all copy and pasted from the powerstrokenation

I just picked up a 87 DT466 with some spare parts for 500 bucks. The engine has 67k miles on it and every service record from IH. So whats the plan you might ask It will be going in my 01 cc dually matched with either a Zf6 or Nv4500 not sure but picking it up this Sunday if weather permits in crooksville OH. Due to the large quantity of Zf's laying in the shop Im kinda steering away from Nv's. This will be more of a toy maybe some towing every once in a while maybe some pulling yada yada yada. Why this engine you might ask something kida different and to test my fab skills and carson's nerve's.......I will be starting this project as soon as I get the shop cleaned of a scattered mustang..

Talked about this to carson.......

I wont. but i might be going to get the engine tonight I dont like to wait........and swinging over to pick up yet another ZF6 for a mock up. Tomarrows agenda will be pulling the truck in the shop take some measurements then taking the cab loose raising it up 3inch's and check for clearence. Then ponder about engine mounts engine angles ..but nothing set in stone checking on a adapter plate next week so I can get some spec/measurments.

since im taking the dash out so i dont fry anything cutting in to it get a better look from the back of the engine. i was thinking of making a detachable cover for the rear of the engine for easy maintenence hopefully. Im going to try my best to get a radiator/intercooler in the front of the engine. I understand I have alot of work ahead but taking baby steps with some of our sponsers and you guys to get the most info and opinions

I just picked it up friday jan/16 after work and man was it a long haul.....note to self never ask directions from you're old lady.. but any who the engine turns out to have only 77k on it which was clarified by the title when the guy got it and striped it for the rear axel. I got everything from trans to the turbo, I also got the engine mounts. tonight were taking the injectors/line's/pump off for inspection monday when I return to work. Im also taking the head off checking the cylinder walls valves and send off to have checked and cleaned. ill have to buy one injectors due to they broke the nut threads off the top of injector. and damaged 2 injector lines. I got what seems to be a allison trans with is prolly will sell it to get some more funds for the build. I didnt get the ZF6 mock up trans due to I didnt get home till 1:30am last night but will be deliverd sometime this week. Im bringing the truck in saturday for some mock up and dissasembling. Thats all i got so far pics will come monday due to the camera being at work. but all in all it going good ........So far.

I sat it in there and Ill have already planned for fire wall fab anyways I also noticed that if the way I whanted to mount the engine that the steering box is in the way so I might have to look into ore fab around it to make the engien mounts have some strength. Im in the middle taking off the cab, Im thinking of installing the engine/trans first with some fab work and mold the cab around it forsay. I orderd the headgasket kit for the engine today, so i can take the head off inspect the cylinder walls pistons clean then install. Trans will be here next week and then mock-up and measure and get ready for an adapter plate to be made. I have already bought a Haisley comp puller clutch but needs rebuilt. I went today and bought some more steel for the engine mounts and crossmembers 1/4 inch C-channel for the rear trans crossmember and some 4x4 box for the engine mounts also 1/4inch. Is there any aftermarket/performance parts out there for these engines ? I have looked around and can not find any ?

Any opinions on the info I have produced so far

Im trying to steer away from moving the steering box ....but I have done some measurements and I think I can keep from doing that. As far as modding goes I will have a limit but would like to know whats out the when I take the head off if I can do anything in there to gain later down the road. Ill let you know if I find any tricks on installation. So far my dad has tryed to talk me into keeping the allison trans and add a t-case anyone know how I could possibly do this ?

Ok so far tonight I have managed to roll the chassis away and get ready to set the engine down on the frame and do some brain storming get the pencil and paper out and make a rough sketch of what in this brain. I have an idea of removing the engine crossmember and leaving it out but installing one that can removable (for strength) so i can remove oil pan if nessary in the future. I would also be adding another cross member in front of steering box that goes through the frame and flush on outside for the front engine mount. Im also skecthcing out some rear mount's as we speak for engine/trans and t-case for added strength. Ill post up pics and see what you guys think. The cab will be last on my agenda for fitting, I whant to install engine/trans for final fit before I set the cab on and begin chopping.

taking the head off tonight along with oil filter housing and coolant and fuel filter housing's.Taking them this weekend to get them dipped and I might even polish em out...? Im also shopping around for some injecter line's stock or bigger, Injecters stock or bigger, A valve cover, and an oil pan

Just got back from byesville ohio to get the trans I will be using for mock up man was it a long 3.5 hr ride. But i have freshly painted the block, and The head is out at the machine shop getting cleaned and 3-angle valve job and rebuilt. Some time this week Im going to be ordering head gasket kit andfront cover, oil cooler gasket kit. The front cover is off and will be also cleaned and maybe polished out right along with some misc allum parts. I think I have figured out how to mount the engine to were the engine is servicable and still have the OE strength.Money for the adapter will be sent this weekend and saving for the new billet flywheel for my Comp puller clutch. Thanks to Carson Stauffer Diesel Service!! That have put up with me this far .
Tomarrow I will have more pics due to it being so late and i just want to relaxe and watch Family Guy

While I have some time for part's to be made/ cleaned Im sanding and painting the underside of the cab, due to being a little bit rusty on the cab mounting points. so today after work we are going to grab a 24 pack, some sand paper and paint and start that project

Steve-0

Old 01-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
" THE DEMIZE"

Member`s Gallery
Click the image to open in full size.

Steve-0

Old 01-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
BenM

Name: BenM
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
dt466

Steve i can't believe your going through with this. Wouldn't a cummins or a forged rod stroker be easier? But as long as you will enjoy it i won't give you too much .
If you need any help let me know.
Did you talk to kenny about the clutch? 606-37-7490 Kenny's pulling parts

Old 01-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
" THE DEMIZE"

Member`s Gallery
Yeah I talked to him he seems to think I should get a triple disc for the hp/tq Ill have after all is said and done.so I might sell my comp clutch and save to get the triple setup. he's hooken me up .......

Thanks ben!!!

Steve-0

Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
FordGuy24

Name: FordGuy24
Title: Josh Mink
Member`s Gallery
how much power are you shooting for? very cool build..i may hve to come check it out sometime

CAMB Motorsports
Toops Performance

Old 01-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
" THE DEMIZE"

Member`s Gallery
Well Im shooting for 6-700hp depending just a toy really. Come on down check it out.

Steve-0

Old 01-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
texascadillac42

Name: texascadillac42
Member`s Gallery
I am definitely gonna be watching this thread, looks like a cool build.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
cliff-1972

Name: cliff-1972
Member`s Gallery
I 2nd that

Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
" THE DEMIZE"

Member`s Gallery
Alot of the parts are out getting cleaned, reworked. And Im awaiting the adapter plate, It will take some time for it to show, so in the mean time Im just looking over getting stuff I need. I sent a push rod out so i can get chromoly ones made, aslo getting valvesprings.

Steve-0

Old 01-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
JAyers93

Name: JAyers93
Title: C15H28
Member`s Gallery
DAMN son....you arent messing around! Im gonna have to come up and check all that stuff out and see if we can work out a deal for the 4B.

05 2500...ccsb with a g56.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
smokinrod

Name: smokinrod
Title: diesel jerk
Member`s Gallery
if you only want 6-7 hundred hp why even dick with that 466? that is easy 5.9 power levels.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
powerstroke74

Name: powerstroke74
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
cause its different

Old 01-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
HRDROKN

Name: HRDROKN
Title: Prestige Worldwide
Member`s Gallery
Very cool project!

92 Dodge W250 CCLB, VE pumped, PODs, HX35/40/14w, AFE, 4"-5" straight piped, Auto, D80 4.10 w/LSD, 6" lift.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
" THE DEMIZE"

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAyers93 View Post
DAMN son....you arent messing around! Im gonna have to come up and check all that stuff out and see if we can work out a deal for the 4B.

well come on up josh so we can do som bidness

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinrod View Post
if you only want 6-7 hundred hp why even dick with that 466? that is easy 5.9 power levels.
Well By the time Im done with it you never know what Hp ill be at, and plus it's different. The 6-700 is just for starters Im looking for another spare block for when i get too seriouse later down the road. And prolly make the 5.9's around here bow Josh ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroke74 View Post
cause its different
Cha ching!!!

Steve-0

Old 01-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #15
joelc79

Name: joelc79
Member`s Gallery
these put out some seriouse tq #s too! good luck, anything is better than what was in the ford.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
cliff-1972

Name: cliff-1972
Member`s Gallery
If a tractor puller can get 2500 to 3000 hp out of a 466,then a 1000 or so should be just a drop in the bucket

Old 01-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
" THE DEMIZE"

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelc79 View Post
these put out some seriouse tq #s too! good luck, anything is better than what was in the ford.
Easy now !

Steve-0

Old 01-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #18
tntcustom

Name: tntcustom
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
When you say you're going to polish the front cover, you mean the round one?

I just got my 466 for the same swap.

If you dont feel like polishing forever, I ordered billet 6061 to make these covers, and valve covers.

im hoping to have them done in february. i think the covers are the same, mine is a 1992.5 motor.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #19
smokin binder

Name: smokin binder
Title: DT466 fan
Member`s Gallery
Yep, they will be the same parts interchange from 1975 to late 1992/early 93. Steve, does that one have a roller cam? Somewhere around 87-89, they went to roller. May as well get a regrind while you're at it! ITZ ONLY MUNNY! You should get the later model intake, with the 3" opening.....big flow.

67 F100, 300, 4V. and 08 VW R32.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #20
" THE DEMIZE"

Member`s Gallery
I have the good intake already for my app to clear a good p-7100. and I found out when I took the front cover to have it cleaned that it is a steel front cover. so it will be painted also. As far as cams go, im going to wait get the thing running and mounted. mold the cab around it and while its out for paint the engine will have a cam installed, compounds S4/HT4B, Billet rockers, chromoly push rods, valve springs, mild porting, stainless .093 lines, and some other stuff like that, I think I have the tappet I herd they didnt go to roller intill 91 ?

Steve-0

Closed Thread