Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
Schoust

Name: Schoust
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Built trans and still having downshift issues

Ok Guys been a while since I have posted up but felt the best place to ask is right here. So my truck 95 12v now my sons truck has a built trans with all of the goodies except the billet output. The truck had a partially built trans when I had it and the problem has always been the downshifting. The trans has a Goerand valve body which has been recently updated billet in and intermediate
And all other performance parts and mods In between. After the refresh the issues continue. That is the downshift. The trans is an Rh all is new now Gov has been checked and is perfect. The only thing left is to replace the darn Tv cable which to me seems just fine?? What are we missing here? The builder has been doing this forever and knows Mopar trans. Like the back of his hand Goerand speaks for itself.
As far as adjusting the Tv we have done that in the transmissions first build over and over and now in its second over and over. Guys this stuff ain't Rocket Science! What are we missing??
Thanks

Old 10-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Kryp2nitE

Name: Kryp2nitE
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Built trans and still having downshift issues

What exactly is it doing or not doing? 2-1 downshift, 3-2? 4-3? It doesn’t kick down quick enough or not at all?

Do you have a TPS or are you using a Pot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Schoust

Member`s Gallery
The truck has had an issue when coming to a full stop downshifting to 1st. I built the trans years ago after modding. My son has the truck and is getting ready to significantly increase the power so he thought that he would freshen with billet shafts and send the VB back to Goerand for the latest. Low and behold he trans is behaving in a similar manner as before as fas as downshifting goes. Now I know my way around the Tv cable and have played with it over and over not sure what goes...Need to straighten this out before We go any further.
The tv seems to move perfectly what are we missing here??

Old 10-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #4
Schoust

Member`s Gallery
The truck down shifts from 4 to 3 no problem but downshifting from 3 to 2 or 2 to 1 is non existent. When you manually move the shifter on the column it down shifts to the selected gear but it will not do it on its own in drive. Pulling hills or slowing down for corners it never down shifts lower than third no matter how slow you are going. Coming to a complete stop is the only way to get it to go back to first on its own when drive is selected and when that happens you get a noticeable (but not crazy) jolt.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
Redrider2911

Name: Redrider2911
Member`s Gallery
2nd gear lock up mods? Torque converter lockup switch? That would stop a downshift if the TCC is staying locked.
49 Willys Pickup. 5600lb. 11.8sec @115mph 1/4. 12 valve. MegaSquirted 47RH. 3.54 posi rear. 35" tires. 64mm HE351ve, S475 (75/96/1.32), A/W Intercooler. AFC mods. 5x16s. 191 DVs, 180 pump. 23*. 85psi. Build Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 11:36 PM   #6
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Try externally tying the TV lever to the half throttle position with a wire or zip tie. If the truck downshifts great, drop the pan the turn in the minimum TV set screw to match the external 1/2 throttle adjustment, then remove the external wire and put the pan back on and refill with fluid.

Play with the external wire/minimum set throttle position until you find the setting you like most (great downshifts, doesn't hang up-shifts when cruising in your neighborhood, and doesn't shift so hard your teeth crunch). Then drop the pan and do the permanent internal minimum TV adjustment.
OEM 12v Block

Old 10-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #7
gman99

Name: gman99
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue24 View Post
Try externally tying the TV lever to the half throttle position with a wire or zip tie. If the truck downshifts great, drop the pan the turn in the minimum TV set screw to match the external 1/2 throttle adjustment, then remove the external wire and put the pan back on and refill with fluid.

Play with the external wire/minimum set throttle position until you find the setting you like most (great downshifts, doesn't hang up-shifts when cruising in your neighborhood, and doesn't shift so hard your teeth crunch). Then drop the pan and do the permanent internal minimum TV adjustment.
Did this with mine along with making the tv lever 1" longer and it downshift way easier. It's still a mopar trans though so don't get your expectations too high, lol.
98 QCLB 4x4 12V, ARP625+ Studs, 14mm mains NonIC pistons, Ported head, Marine Cam, Hamilton Pushrods and Tappets, BeeHive springs HE351cw over Billet S475, 4KGSK, 5X.018's, 7mm DV's, 24 Degrees Timing, 5" Exhaust, TCS Input, DPC Converter, Firepunk Competition Rebuild Kit

Old 10-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue24 View Post

On my puller I adjusted the TV screw so it would go no lower than approx 50% throttle, that way if the TV cable ever broke, I would have some decent line pressure still. It hung a little on the up shifts, but since it saw the petal buried to the floor most of the times, I figured the cable would break on me .
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 10-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
Schoust

Member`s Gallery
Ok so if I tie the tv arm at 50% and it fixes my issue what does that mean was wrong with The trans, To low pressure at idle to even make down shift? When I tie it in place do I just make the wire hold it from returning past 50% and still leave the tv cable hooked up and allow it to pull the arm further when I give it throttle or do I just disconnect the tv cable all together and tie the arm at 50%? Last thing, this is fine to do for my applicaton? The trucks a weekend street toy lots of around town/highway driving and I'm not light on the pedal either lol. Sorry for all the questions but it's nice to have someone with answers! Thanks.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #10
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Nothing out of the normal with your trans, there is a preset screw to hold the tv lever forward if you drop the pan, just make sure you know how far you want to adjust it out. It did better at 50% but it might be better at a little less, may just need a couple turns. You need to keep the tv cable hooked up so it pulls the lever all the way back when your running it hard.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
dpaqu

Name: dpaqu
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I have a slightly different trans than yours but the same symptoms. Its a 46rh I rebuilt in a 93D250. I've been told I could have a mushroomed valve in the valve body. I jacked up the back of the truck and ran it through the gears with pressure tester on all the different ports. It has double the line pressure of stock which is what I would expect given the fact I have the transgo kit in it.

Probably going to have to drop the trans pan and check the valve body again. Ugh.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #12
blackcloudCTD95

Name: blackcloudCTD95
Member`s Gallery
welcome to dodge autos my 47re would short shift and not down shift to the proper gear.. I fixed the short shift with the tp delete and the down shift... I gave up I just manually shift the column usually if I'm slowing down to stop then the light turns green, I have to go to manual 2 other wise I take off in 3rs gear @20ish mph

Old 10-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #13
blackcloudCTD95

Name: blackcloudCTD95
Member`s Gallery
I think the piston or cyl that's on the end of the tv lever is scored up

Old 11-03-2017, 03:37 AM   #14
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoust View Post
Ok so if I tie the tv arm at 50% and it fixes my issue what does that mean was wrong with The trans, To low pressure at idle to even make down shift? When I tie it in place do I just make the wire hold it from returning past 50% and still leave the tv cable hooked up and allow it to pull the arm further when I give it throttle or do I just disconnect the tv cable all together and tie the arm at 50%? Last thing, this is fine to do for my applicaton? The trucks a weekend street toy lots of around town/highway driving and I'm not light on the pedal either lol. Sorry for all the questions but it's nice to have someone with answers! Thanks.
After playing with the minimum adjustment externally with a wire, you'll learn where you like the minimum set. Then drop the pan and adjust the minimum TV screw inward until it barely touches the TV lever foot at your tested/discovered favorite setting, then remove the external wire, put pan back on, and you're all set. And if you're adding a bunch of power, make sure it throttles up to full throttle when the go-pedal is full throttle or you'll hurt the tranny fairly quickly.
OEM 12v Block

Closed Thread