Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > SwitchBlade Turbos
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #61
Gwoody

Name: Gwoody
Title: Switchblade Turbos
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdt View Post
Could you add a second orifice with an electric solenoid to a switch to create an exhaust brake?

I would also suggest that you put a machined flat section on the housing to rivet a plate that says "Holeset", this way us Kalifornia guys can get it through smog. All they look for is a name plate on the turbo to pass smog If they asked about the other parts we could just tell them that its an exhaust brake.
It's not designed to be able to function as an exhaust brake.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #62
Cam73

Name: Cam73
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Has this turbo been tested using a T-3 to T-4 adapter off the stock exhaust manifold? Any concern of function?

Is there enough shock tower clearance to accomodate an adapter that is roughly 1/2" thick? The truck is a 2nd gen

Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #63
Gwoody

Name: Gwoody
Title: Switchblade Turbos
Member`s Gallery
The stock manifold was too restrictive to work well.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #64
Cam73

Member`s Gallery
Dang, even with the air operated version it appears one of these can't be purchased and used as intended for less than $2300.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #65
oldturbonut

Name: oldturbonut
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Air Operated Turbo

OK, here is the deal on why we recommend an upgrade exhaust manifold with the Switchblade turbo, this turbo has an exhaust housing that is twice as large as stock so that with the Switchblade we can have good low end spool up and then on top end have lower back pressure allowing you to put more fuel in and cram more air in for bigger power plus it reduces EGT's. We figured most guys are more interested in towing performance than drag racing so we are able to achieve quick spool and 1 to 1 boost to back pressure and depending on other parameters even have higher boost than back pressure. IF you are willing to trade a little higher egt's and back pressure to save the cost of the upgraded exhaust manifold then you can do that as long as you understand that up front. With the stock exhaust manifold which is tuned for faster velocity of the exhaust gas you should see even quicker spool up and if you aren't going balls to the wall with fueling, timing etc I believe you will be very happy. I read your post and realized that we had been remiss in not explaining our reasoning better, I apologize for that.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #66
Cam73

Member`s Gallery
No sweat, I appreciate you taking the time to explain it. Towing is not a concern for my application right now, just looking for around town fun with some respectable (hopefully) numbers at the wheels. And like most folks, cost is a factor. So much that I haven't been able to make my mind up long enough to actually buy something.

Unfortunately there is not nearly the data out there about these chargers (in various applications) as there is for compound turbos. They both have pros and cons but twins are proven.

There are other parts of the diesel market besides towing and with the reduced cost of the air operated turbo I think you guys could have part of it. Granted it might not have been the idea behind the switchblade, who wouldn't want a turbo that delivers the same characteristics as twins with less plumbing and cost (vs bolt on kits).

Lets see one on a street 12 valve! How about with a stock gasket matched T-3 manifold and adapter, haha

Last edited by Cam73; 01-13-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Closed Thread