40's and 17s

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
Going to be installing a set of 40" tires on a 17. Is there a safe calculation for tow capacity? I won't be towing often with this truck, but If I do, I just want to know that its safe. Trailer and Load would probably be 10-12k with a max distance of roughly 500 miles. The Tires are 6 ply but rated at 3195 Lbs.

also, the load will be centered over trailer axles, so tongue weight shouldn't be very much.

Going to be installing a set of 40" tires on a 17. Is there a safe calculation for tow capacity? I won't be towing often with this truck, but If I do, I just want to know that its safe. Trailer and Load would probably be 10-12k with a max distance of roughly 500 miles. The Tires are 6 ply but rated at 3195 Lbs.

also, the load will be centered over trailer axles, so tongue weight shouldn't be very much.

What size wheels?

It used to be tires were rated by ply count... now it's the load rating as you stated. I have 42's on mine with kevlar belts rated @3200 lbs. more than enough to tow with as long as you don't over load the rear axle with a 5th wheel.

It used to be tires were rated by ply count... now it's the load rating as you stated. I have 42's on mine with kevlar belts rated @3200 lbs. more than enough to tow with as long as you don't over load the rear axle with a 5th wheel.
42's?? Your gonna have to post pics of this truck you have and some of the exhaust pictures......:pop:

Yeah, the trailer is a Gooseneck. but its a 14k lowdeck, so it is relatively lightweight.

Similar to this.
cecb561f2564ccb57d3f14287c7a23fc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yeah, the trailer is a Gooseneck. but its a 14k lowdeck, so it is relatively lightweight.

If you really want to know...Take it to a scale with the trailer hooked up and weigh the rear axle. Then drop the trailer a re weigh. The difference is what you have to play with.

I pull my 48' Eliminator with living quarters and 6500lb race truck all over with my 04 2500 QCSB on 37s and 17s. Not ideal... but its really not too bad either. You just learn to take the corners a little slower. LOL

da2dd3e61511f227cde1fb62dfd8fa69.jpg

Last edited:
I pull my 48' Eliminator with living quarters and 6500lb race truck all over with my 04 2500 QCSB on 37s and 17s. Not ideal... but its really not too bad either. You just learn to take the corners a little slower. LOL

da2dd3e61511f227cde1fb62dfd8fa69.jpg

What gearing do you have in the axles?

Back