Car built to SFI 25.2A Chassis Specification (PIC HEAVY)

Taquache

Diesel Junkie
I am working with the CHABA Race team in Thailand to bring their 700+ HP 4 cyl Turbo Diesel chassis car to make a few exhibition passes during the NHRDA World Finals in Ennis Tx.

They are currently rebuilding the chassis to meet the SFI 25.2A Requirements.

I have been sent a bunch of pictures and am asking those of you who have built this type of car and passes certification to please review the pictures and give your input so that when the car arrives it will not be difficult to pass.

Thanks
Bryant
IMG_0104_resize_zps18640524.jpg

IMG_0102_resize_zpscb7ebeaf.jpg

IMG_0100_resize_zps142d0f4d.jpg

IMG_0098_resize_zps601db0de.jpg

IMG_0095_resize_zps7b412c19.jpg

IMG_0083_resize_zps4212c070.jpg

IMG_0082_resize_zps003b4722.jpg

IMG_0080_resize_zpsbf7253fd.jpg

IMG_0079_resize_zpsac6a756b.jpg

IMG_0077_resize_zps9258e99c.jpg

IMG_0075_resize_zps24383708.jpg

IMG_0074_resize_zpsf93d6c1f.jpg

IMG_0073_resize_zpsc4c08d92.jpg

IMG_0070_resize_zps2b126c5a.jpg

IMG_0069_resize_zpsb237bf5b.jpg

IMG_0068_resize_zps80b61ece.jpg

IMG_0067_resize_zps9b11e18d.jpg

IMG_0065_resize_zpsa43c5443.jpg

IMG_0064_resize_zps73edf051.jpg

Michael (Isspro cat) should be able to be a big help as well as Jeff Dean (think he mentioned he used to be an NHRA cert. officer or whatever their titles are) and others I'm sure.

Why did they build in mild steel? SFI 25.2 requires 4130, but similar tubing sizes (with higher thicknesses if mild steel) could get an SFI 25.4 cert (7.50 & slower). I don't know the thicknesses in 25.4 off hand, but they should get that spec if using mild steel. It looks generally good so far (but still missing the Funny Car cage components), except for the following: The door X-bars (#16B & #17B) need to intersect the pillar bars (12A & 12B) higher up, IIRC it needs to be within 2 diameters of the tubing between this intersection and the #11 dash bar. A number of chassis have been built the way they did it, but inspectors are cracking down on that now.

Why did they build in mild steel? SFI 25.2 requires 4130, but similar tubing sizes (with higher thicknesses if mild steel) could get an SFI 25.4 cert (7.50 & slower). I don't know the thicknesses in 25.4 off hand, but they should get that spec if using mild steel. It looks generally good so far (but still missing the Funny Car cage components), except for the following: The door X-bars (#16B & #17B) need to intersect the pillar bars (12A & 12B) higher up, IIRC it needs to be within 2 diameters of the tubing between this intersection and the #11 dash bar. A number of chassis have been built the way they did it, but inspectors are cracking down on that now.

Thanks for looking at it!

The the tubing matches the ID and OD for MS as outlined in the 2013 NHRA Cage Rulebook. I'll pass along the in for about the door bars and completing the funny car cage components.

First of all 25.2 is Chrome Moly only. You can not use thicker Mild Steel to satisfy wall thickness. Like Michael said Mild Stel will only get them to 7.50. I am a NHRA Cert Chassis Inspector with Div 2 which is in the SE. So far the cage looks good with the exception of the FC Cage. Also I can't tell if bar 6C is there. Thats the bar between the inner frame rails near the back of the motor. The mid plate is covering it if it is there.

First of all 25.2 is Chrome Moly only. You can not use thicker Mild Steel to satisfy wall thickness. Like Michael said Mild Stel will only get them to 7.50. I am a NHRA Cert Chassis Inspector with Div 2 which is in the SE. So far the cage looks good with the exception of the FC Cage. Also I can't tell if bar 6C is there. Thats the bar between the inner frame rails near the back of the motor. The mid plate is covering it if it is there.

7.50 and slower will cover this car if that's where it falls due to the material used. I will confirm with them that it is MS.

I will let them know about the FC Cage and bar 6C

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it and I know the guys in Thailand do too!

This is probably the first chassis to be built over there that is trying to meet Cert. requirements.

Michael can attest that this is chassis is miles above what they were running.

Do you know who I would need to speak with in the Dallas/Ft Worth area about getting the chassis inspected when it arrives in the US?

Go to the NHRA web site, upper right to LUCAS OIL and then divisions and you want D4 and that will give you all the inspectors in D4. Just understand that looking at pics is no gaurentee that it will pass, but with what I see unless the inspector finds something it looks good.

Its also missing the roof "X" and there are a ton of gussets in the roof, dash bar, secondary door bar areas if it is 25.2. With 25.4 not all the gussets will be required. And if I am looking at the welds correctly, the welds look like MIG and not TIG. MIG or TIG for Mild Steel. TIG only for CHROME MOLY

Go to the NHRA web site, upper right to LUCAS OIL and then divisions and you want D4 and that will give you all the inspectors in D4. Just understand that looking at pics is no gaurentee that it will pass, but with what I see unless the inspector finds something it looks good.

Thanks I'll get something arranged

Good looking build.

I'm glad they decided to pursue this endeavour this year!!

Its also missing the roof "X" and there are a ton of gussets in the roof, dash bar, secondary door bar areas if it is 25.2. With 25.4 not all the gussets will be required. And if I am looking at the welds correctly, the welds look like MIG and not TIG. MIG or TIG for Mild Steel. TIG only for CHROME MOLY

I'll pass this information along, thanks again for reviewing the photos, I'll post up more when I get them.

A few things to remember when they get to the FC cage portion:
1) Main FC bar #41B needs to be forward of the top "forehead" area of the driver's helmet when he is in the seated position.
2) The junction of #40A & #41B need to be at the same position along the #12A bar, not offset.

1) Main FC bar #41B needs to be forward of the top "forehead" area of the driver's helmet when he is in the seated position.

They are not understanding this pointer

Dear Bryant

I just have one question, I'm not sure how it look like for below sentence. Could you please send me some drawing via email . Thanks.

"Main FC bar #41B needs to be forward of the top "forehead" area of the driver's helmet when he is in the seated position".

Rgds/Scott Chen

Can I get one of yall to shoot me a quick sketch or other explanation to send to them.

My Cell# is Nine Five Six - 434 - Nine 0 Six Five

Thanks

IMGP0154.jpg

Michael I took this picture from your build thread, am I correct in assuming this is what yall are talking about?

IMGP0154.jpg

Michael I took this picture from your build thread, am I correct in assuming this is what yall are talking about?

Yup, as I read your response I was about to look for this photo, this illustrates the issue I was mentioning.

Back