Questions for you turbo gurus

#RollCoal

CumminsNut
So I've never understood the whole turbo scene what exactly does the 1.10 or .90 ar stand for and what exactly does it mean also what is the difference between s300 and s400 and s472 and all the different ones out there. Thanks guys

The s300 and s400 are different frame sizes and there are several different options in each frame. And the .90 and 1.10 are just a couple of the turbine sizes for the s400 frame.

S300 and s400 is like the frame base.. A s472 would mean it's a s400 charger with a 72mm compressor wheel.

Don't think with a "rollcoal" name you should even drive a diesel. Not good for our diesel community. Would be wise to change your name and ways. Just sayin.

So I've never understood the whole turbo scene what exactly does the 1.10 or .90 ar stand for and what exactly does it mean also what is the difference between s300 and s400 and s472 and all the different ones out there. Thanks guys

Google is your best friend on turbo terminology.

That said...

S stands for Schweitzer, X00 is frame size (200 is small, 300 medium, 400 large, 500 is panty dropper territory), the 3xx is first 2 digits of the inducer size (472 is 72 millimeter big).

A/R is (going off memory) the radius of the turbine inducer divided the area of the opening at the exhaust house entry into the turbine.

Don't think with a "rollcoal" name you should even drive a diesel. Not good for our diesel community. Would be wise to change your name and ways. Just sayin.

Because it's Christmas we should play nice. This ^ was going to be my post in this thread.

Google is your best friend on turbo terminology.

That said...

S stands for Schweitzer, X00 is frame size (200 is small, 300 medium, 400 large, 500 is panty dropper territory), the 3xx is first 2 digits of the inducer size (472 is 72 millimeter big).

A/R is (going off memory) the radius of the turbine inducer divided the area of the opening at the exhaust house entry into the turbine.
pantie dropping territory! :lolly:

AR = Airspeed Resistance. It's very technicals. The hot gasses bypassing the turbine will cause air flow separation and at those velocities Reynolds number will not hold true to find the turbulent layer in the flow field. It is best to use Eulers equations to model the flow path in four deminsions.

Lol

Last edited:
5edypy2y.jpg
THANK YOU CHRIS!!!!!! My faith in humanity was dwindling.

Aspect ratio is a comparison of the Volute diameter, and the distance of that volutes centerline from the center axis of the housing.

It determines how tight the housing tapers vs how many degrees of axis it takes for that taper to occur.

Monkey Fist Rage

Last edited:
Actually AR is aspect ratio.

This! Thanks chris!

5edypy2y.jpg
THANK YOU CHRIS!!!!!! My faith in humanity was dwindling.

Aspect ratio is a comparison of the Volute diameter, and the distance of that volutes centerline from the center axis of the housing.

It determines how tight the housing tapers vs how many degrees of axis it takes for that taper to occur.

Monkey Fist Rage

I knew it was some math equation! I just couldn't remember what. :doh:

Thank you for taking time to type out a more technical explanation sir.

I struggle with how lightly to take things and how far to dumb them down.

Take a bull horn and an ice cream cone and feed them around a PTO. A/R would come out different. (if you still have your hands and still care about turbos at that point)

Monkey Fist Rage

Back