Brackets vs. Heads up

I think most of us know that an index class is just another form of bracket racing, it just has a predefined dial in (index).
Paul

I could not agree more .... Thats why we went with the Super Street.... All trucks in this heads up class must run a DOT tire and 2wd Minimum weight 5400 lbs, 4wd Minimum weight 6000 lbs. Otherwise its the same as PRO Street. Getting spectators can be VERY VERY hard. But if its marketed correctly in the local area, you will get them to come.

I did a race in Fountain FL last August, anyone that attended will tell you this place is 15 miles past BFE. I threw this thing together in 30 days and we had a little over 700 spectators.

But it costs money to do these events and I have not mastered growing money trees yet. I am working on it I promise! LOL

I think you will see the sport grow exponentially over the next year and start its move towards main stream racing. Its going to take a few more years but the swing is going to start that way.

The future is now and we ALL need to work together to make it happen.

I don't think the races ( or the entire diesel motorsport ) is promoted enough. You have to figure the only people who really know when an event is are the members of these boards. You need to go outside of our small group. Usually if you go to a sled pull at a county fair there will be a good crowd, go to national event maybe a fair amount of people. Its kind of sad when you go to a national event and look at the stands and you know most of the people sitting in them. Need more advertising radio/tv, newspapers in the event areas, but this all cost money. You have to spend money to make money. $.02. Thanks Steve B.

I agree 100% racin isn't as big around cuz we only have one track. But truck pulls are big when people know about them. My uncle has a diesel shop here in Utah and one of the best pullin trucks around here (wild diesel) and last here he had a hard time getting a flyer to hang in shop. Hopefully this year is better since there are having alot more pulls.:thankyou2:

i think they should do it like truck pulling with inducer sizes, but also throw in tire types (slicks, DOT slicks, street tires, etc., etc.......), and also power adders, like this for instance:

stock turbo, DOT street tires, no drag radials, 2wd must weigh XXXX, 4x4 has to weigh XXXX, must use all suspension and drivetrain components that came factory on that brand of truck......

2.6 turbo, DOT Drag radials, 2wd must weigh XXXX, 4x4 has to weigh XXXX, must have stock unaltered frame rails and use all factory drivetrain components from that brand of truck, truck must be street driveable, and make them prove it, make them all set and idle for 15 minutes before passing them for tech, that will weed out the trailer queens.....

your big single charger class (2.8, 3.0 blah, blah, blah....) Slicks allowed, 2wd must weigh XXXX and run this max size of tire, 4x4 has to weigh XXXX and run this max size of tire, reason i say that is because you will have the same contact patch wether 4x4 or 4x2, must use stock frame rails to the back of the cab, does not have to be street legal, nitrous allowed

same class as above but with unlimited twin turbos

Mod Class, tube frame, big turbos, all the spray those puppies can eat.....

that is just my way of thinking it would clear stuff up....seems to work for us sled pullers......

Well since it's not about the money, because we already don't come out for the money even at this point... Wouldn't it make sense to have another Index class? Is that what it's called? I'm not so knowledgeable about the classes and I don't always understand it, but what about a next class up. So it's not bracket racing, but like a 13.5 or something. Street Diesel.

Did that make any sense? I knew what I meant. lol

I agree. I think a 13.00 or 13.50 index class would do really well. Most newer trucks with stock turbos, stock injectors, and stock trannies can get into the low 14's or high 13's with a hot tune and bolt ons.

Add a little *nx* or change out to a mild injector/turbo combo and you can dial your truck right in on a 13.0 or 13.5 index. I think you'd see some fierce competition in a class like this not to mention bring alot more people into the staging lanes who don't really care for bracket racing.

:rockwoot:

IMHO why create a new class and try to fill it? Why not take the largest class and split it up? I like bracket racing but hate seeing 6+ sec time splits. How about a 14.00 and up for the weekend warriors, and a faster than 14.00 class for those are not ready for 12.00 ET?

IMHO why create a new class and try to fill it? Why not take the largest class and split it up? I like bracket racing but hate seeing 6+ sec time splits. How about a 14.00 and up for the weekend warriors, and a faster than 14.00 class for those are not ready for 12.00 ET?

But wouldn't the addition of a 13.0 or 13.50 index class effectively do the same thing (split the ET Bracket class)? Plus it would allow the faster of the bunch (Sub 14's but not fast enough for a 12.0 Index class) to race heads up? It would also still allow the hardcore bracket racers and weekend warriors to remain in the ET Bracket class without regard for any time breaks.

Just my $.02

On edit: However if another index class can't be established then I do like the idea of at least splitting brackets so the lights don't come down so differently . . .

Last edited:
I personally prefer heads-up racing, too - but I can't F#$%ING STAND throttle-stop racing. Right now, there's no easy way to do it with a CRD, so that will likely keep it to a minimum.

Famoso had about 10 trucks in the heads up and over 80 in the brackets.

The brackets bring more people into the sport that just want to try racing. Of course this hooks a bunch of them and they buy more aftermarket products and learn more and come back out.

I love to race heads up, but I'm at a advantage because I race alot and usually know what the truck will do.

I like the way NHRDA does it. Pro 1 and Pro 2 are brackets with two different ET classes. Then the other classes for the heads up guys.

I'm a bit partial, but we need to keep the 12.00 index class. This is the street/everyday drivers class. Limited amount of rules, guys can still use their trucks(no cages needed) and have fun without getting too wrapped up in trying to run fast and worry about breaking their daily rig.

This sport is still just getting off the ground and we need to keep as many racers as we can included, and that means brackets NHRDA style.

I like a quick and slow bracket. I have seen 12.90 trucks double up on both before though LOL

I do like the NHRDA style of splitting brackets as an alternative to 13.50 index class. It will at least keep the racing feeling more heads up.

As racers/drivers what would you like to see? Quick 4 or 8 class with payouts to qualify and larger payouts to place and win. Example 1 quick 8 $100.00 to qualify, 1st place $700.00 2nd $500.00 for 11.49 and faster. Example 2 1st $500.00, 2nd $300.00, Semis $100.00 each for 11.50 and slower

Obviously the money is nice & helps bring racers to events but most of all we go to have fun. I agree with ctd8999 these races are not promoted enough. Look at Nascar vs NHRA both are huge events but Nascar blows away NHRA do to promotion. We can watch Nascar on local chanels NHRA espn2 . Everyone wants to go to the place that draws the most hype. Its going to take alot more than advertising on blogs & a mag for these events to draw a huge crowd & racers. One of the best diesel events I have gone to that draws a great crowd & racers is the TS outlaw race. Maybe Denis P can give some promotion secrets. As far as bracket vs heads up, one puts all the stress on the driver the other on the vehicle. I enjoy both. IMO I dont think the majority of the crowd knows the diff. They just want to watch cool trucks race & see their fav win.

The J and H Performance Nor*Cal Diesel Rally has had 1000+ spectators the last 2 years, We're trying to figure out how to get more fast trucks, with almost 100 trucks running in various classes of drags, sled pulls, dyno and tough truck competition, just trying to get a feel for what it will take to fill an 8 truck ladder in the 11.49 and faster heads up class

5 hour drive to the closest event. I will keep that in mind.

I fully understand that we are not in everyones back yard ....... yet......

This is only our 2nd year outside the Pacific Northwest. Of the 9 races I will be attending this year I have 2 that are an hour away and everything else is 4 or better so I feel evreyones pain. I am in South Fl so EVERYTHING is a drive LOL

The J and H Performance Nor*Cal Diesel Rally has had 1000+ spectators the last 2 years, We're trying to figure out how to get more fast trucks, with almost 100 trucks running in various classes of drags, sled pulls, dyno and tough truck competition, just trying to get a feel for what it will take to fill an 8 truck ladder in the 11.49 and faster heads up class

Honestly I think it will take some more people out here building purpose-built trucks. A lot of people out here who run 11s also break their trucks by dynoing them all the time, driving them daily, etc. A lot of the fast east coast guys just race. period. They don't have to worry about doing other things...also, a 300 mile drive is a lot easier than a 3000 mile drive.....I am all for a heads up 11.99 or better class...but who out here has 'em? C'mon guys, start coughing up the names if you're on the west coast and can run at least 11s......

Back