Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! > Tools
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
TXBLACKSMOKE

Name: TXBLACKSMOKE
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Snap On Solus

Local Snap On dealer has a used Solus Pro on his truck. Got it as a trade for the Solus Ultra. I can get it for around half the cost of a new one. It was updated a few months ago. It wont get used but maybe a few times a year but I find my self really wishing I had one or something similar for working on family and friends vehicles along with my own. Seems that without something like this it is hard to diagnose the newer vehicles. I believe it will make diagnostics a lot easier and less time consuming. Was told the updates were around a grand when needed. I may not update it but every few years just for the newer vehicles. Currently my 2011 f250 and 2013 Chevrolet 1/2 ton of the lady of the house are under warranty so Im not to worried about covering them at this time. I could always charge a small fee to people and make a few bucks back. I am a diesel mechanic by trade for a railroad but dont work on to many pickups or cars. Here lately I have found myself working on more of them. I can see having it paying off. The price doesn't scare me. Just the thought that the money could be used toward other things that will get used more often. Guess my question is does anybody use one as a do it yourselfer? Has it paid off having it as far as something that you may use every other month? Any other similiar products to look into? Because im not dead set on a Snap On. Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
TheBigNasty

Name: TheBigNasty
Title: Project bish
Member`s Gallery
Buy it, then let me borrow it.

Fo free of course....

Old 11-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
02smokemaker

Name: 02smokemaker
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Hi,
I can't speak for the pro but I have an ultra and it's incredible.
The thing I have to say is watch the snap in specials. Every year around this time snap on does a deal."buy a tool box get a free ultra" that's how I got mine. Just food for thought.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
ShaferDiesel

Name: ShaferDiesel
Title: Way To Small!
Member`s Gallery
I use AutoEnginuity in my shop, and another local shop just sold his solus and bought AE after he kept having to call me to diag a truck every now and then and watching me use it. I've only played with the solus for an hour or so, so I don't know much about it, but I was not very impressed. I'm not sure which one does more but I like the laptop system a lot better, its just fits my thinking pattern better. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, If you go AE, get a small netbook, they are a lot tougher than the larger laptops, in fact my little acer netbook has outlasted a Panasonic Toughbook I had before.

Soon to be common rail injected!

Last edited by ShaferDiesel; 11-26-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
1pieceatatime.

Name: 1pieceatatime.
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
The bummer on the Solus pro VS the Solus Ultra, is I believe that the pro still requires keys like the older MT2500 used for a variety of applications.

FWIW, I bought a used 2012 updated solus ultra for $2k almost a year ago from my rep. I was thinking about trading up to a used Verus if my rep takes on in on trade. Web/Wifi ready, wireless hookup to the vehicle. Real slick Unit, but they cost a few bucks.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts
  • Dana & AAM Ball joint kits

Old 11-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
TXBLACKSMOKE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNasty View Post
Buy it, then let me borrow it.

Fo free of course....
No diagnosis needed. Solus says..........The black truck will never run. Lol

Old 11-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
TXBLACKSMOKE

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
The bummer on the Solus pro VS the Solus Ultra, is I believe that the pro still requires keys like the older MT2500 used for a variety of applications.

FWIW, I bought a used 2012 updated solus ultra for $2k almost a year ago from my rep. I was thinking about trading up to a used Verus if my rep takes on in on trade. Web/Wifi ready, wireless hookup to the vehicle. Real slick Unit, but they cost a few bucks.
Dealer said he had 2 used Versus that he would need around $5k to $6k for. Kinda out of my price range but they sound pretty sweet from what Ive heard and read.

Ive never looked into the AutoEquity but have heard of them. Will it do pretty much the same as the Solus? I need to do a lot more research. May offer snappy alittle less just to see what he says.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
1pieceatatime.

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBLACKSMOKE View Post
Dealer said he had 2 used Versus that he would need around $5k to $6k for. Kinda out of my price range but they sound pretty sweet from what Ive heard and read.

Ive never looked into the AutoEquity but have heard of them. Will it do pretty much the same as the Solus? I need to do a lot more research. May offer snappy alittle less just to see what he says.
Its only out of your price range until the Solus is paid off and If he doesn't want to kill you on trading it back in
Thats the only reason I even considered the Verus after drooling over my neighbors. I probably would have taken the used one he had on the truck if I hadn't bought a side cabinet for my roll around the week before.

But I don't think I have given my rep less than $50 a week in over 2 years, if and when the balance gets low theres always something useful on the truck, or a kick ass Promo.

I did look at the Autoenginuity, I decided I much prefer having a Scantool thats less fragile and susceptible to greasy hands. I prefer a scan tool to the laptop so much so, that I'm really not as familiar with my EFI live Scantool software as I should be.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts

Old 11-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
ShaferDiesel

Name: ShaferDiesel
Title: Way To Small!
Member`s Gallery
I'll tell you one thing, that AE is a whole lot quicker connecting to the truck and getting to where you want.

Soon to be common rail injected!

Old 11-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
1pieceatatime.

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaferDiesel View Post
I'll tell you one thing, that AE is a whole lot quicker connecting to the truck and getting to where you want.
If your laptop is already turned on perhaps, if you're talking including laptop boot time I'd be hard pressed to believe that. If its a vehicle I've already scanned before, I can have the codes out of the vehicle from pulling the scanner out of my toolbox in probably less than 2 minutes. If I need to enter the vin it really doesn't add that much time.

But there is alot to be said about familiarity.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts

Closed Thread