Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! > Tools
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
regcanfan

Name: regcanfan
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Rolling Tool Boxes

Looking to clean up the shop and organize some of the tools better. Looking for a rolling tool box set up. I dont know much about them. I know there is different levels within a brand.

The local carquest carries the international brand which seems fairly reasonable in price. I've looked at used and it seems like it brings close to new price.

Any input would be helpful. Our wrenching consists of working on our own vehicles and fixing equipment that breaks in our small feed mill. So not everyday use but dont want cheap junk that falls apart or drawers that wont open etc.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
Howling

Name: Howling
Title: Soot Sniffer
Member`s Gallery
A lot of good reviews on these unless you need bigger .

30 in. 5 Drawer Red Mechanic's Cart

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2006 Dodge CTD/48re 4x4 Sport
With some fuel and air.
Bullseye,Hamilton,Exergy,EFI,ATS,FASS,HTS,Thuren, Toyo's...

1996 2500 RC 4x4 CTD-63/68/.83,5X.014,180 maxed Ppump,Fass...

Old 01-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
R1raptor

Name: R1raptor
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I own 2 of the harbor freight 5 drawers. Very good boxes for the money.

83 chevy 3500 : 215 hp p-pump,5sp,19*,afc tuned,plate delete,rack plug, valair ceramic single,3.42 14b,
Vintage air, in need of twins.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
I dont need anything too big. If I out grow a smaller one I could always get another small one. Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #5
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
I have one of those as well, have been very happy with it. I'm getting close to filling it and getting a second one, then splitting metric and SAE in separate boxes. A good family friend sold his snap on stuff when they were full, and bought all harbor freight boxes, he's been happy too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 01-18-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
Smokinrebel

Name: Smokinrebel
Member`s Gallery
Have one of the red boxes at buddies shop ive been using a bunch. Works perfect. Has everything i need on daily basis in it, and can roll it around anywhere in shop. Sturdy too.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #7
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
The harbor freight boxes are pretty good, I know 4 or 5 people using them with good luck, they aren't really that cheap though. The home depot ones seem pretty decent, I built a welding cart out of one of the smaller ones and it's been solid. The montezuma stuff is really nice and fairly reasonable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #8
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Member`s Gallery
Rolling Tool Boxes

I havent seen a non-big name box that is as well built as the expensive boxes. They are larger, use heavier material, and have better slides than a cheaper box.

The Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell, Mac, etc boxes are really nice and really well built, but I wouldn't say they are worth the money they want for new ones. I would keep an eye out on craigslist for some older used boxes, or talk to your salesman about finding a trade in. You can find nice boxes for 1/10th of what they cost new.

I have a top and bottom double bay Matco that I repainted and a bottom double bay Matco that I am in the process of painting, and I only have $1800 between the two.

Click the image to open in full size.
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Last edited by SPEEDSHIFT; 01-21-2019 at 07:50 AM.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
Downtownbrown

Name: Downtownbrown
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I have one of the older harbor freight 4 drawer carts and one of their newer 5 drawers, the older one is so much better, it doesnt have the locks but the drawers feel a lot more sturdy.

All my bigger boxes are husky which are probably the best you’ll find without stepping on to the trucks. Milwaukee make some good ones to but they arent that cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Watch craigslist and OfferUp for a good deal on used carts or boxes. I’ve scored some deals on OfferUp lately. People loose their job and can’t pay the note on a tool box, cart, or welder and need to dump it for some cash to pay down the note.

I have a Marco 4s double bay box. It works great but I leave it stationary in the shop. Have a small Cornwell cart someone gave me. It rolls everywhere with me during a mechanic project.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 01-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
Phil63

Name: Phil63
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
If your looking for a good quality box that isnt a truck brand, check out the Masterforce line at a menards if you have one nearby. When I bought my first one, i was having a really hard time not buying a matco that was half the size of my masterforce till i started talking to a couple of guy that reminded me that A. A toolbox doesnt make you any money. B. The materforce has more slides on the bigger drawers. Plus I dont have to worry about tracking down a snap on/mac/matco/cornwell rep if I need something repaired.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #12
12valve95

Name: 12valve95
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
The two things you can buy without worry from Harbor Freight are Pitt.Pro Impact sockets and Tool boxes/carts. I have had great luck with my boxes.

'95 RCLB: in pieces...

1986 RC C30 Dually 12Valve...Coming soon

'17 HANDSHAKER : SOLD

Old 01-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #13
MAXX IT OUT

Name: MAXX IT OUT
Title: RUNS AGAIN
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil63 View Post
If your looking for a good quality box that isnt a truck brand, check out the Masterforce line at a menards if you have one nearby. When I bought my first one, i was having a really hard time not buying a matco that was half the size of my masterforce till i started talking to a couple of guy that reminded me that A. A toolbox doesnt make you any money. B. The materforce has more slides on the bigger drawers. Plus I dont have to worry about tracking down a snap on/mac/matco/cornwell rep if I need something repaired.
I actually agree with this. I just bought a 56 inch bottom cart with stainless top new for under a grand. It has more room than I currently need, plus if i needed more space the I can always, cheaply and easily add on the side and top boxes. I personally really like the Masterforce lift Latch system over snapon side slide, plus if your not going to sell the box, why spend a bunch of money that you will never get back. In my area there are plenty of big name tool boxes for sale that people are having a hard time selling in the 1500-2500 dollar price range, So I figured the ROI wasn't worth it and I could spend the balance on go fast parts.

Last edited by MAXX IT OUT; 01-21-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
regcanfan

Member`s Gallery
Thanks, good info. I have been watching the for sale sights on and off and there has been a few boxes around but there is a bit of driving involved to pick them up. (I live in an area where its not overly populated.) I'll have to check out some of the menards boxes next time I drive past. Ive got a few menards cards laying around that I got given, which sweetens up the deal some.

Im just a little nervious with buying online being that I'm not overly educated as what is what when it comes to boxes. Although most of the big online retailers will take items back pretty easly.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #15
TheHammer

Name: TheHammer
Title: broke
Member`s Gallery
I would highly suggest buying a high end used setup. Some pretty awesome deals out there currently. Before purchase, the only precaution I’d make is verifying the unit is paid off by contacting said brand with the vin# on the unit. Good luck.

Closed Thread