Must haves in truck toolbox

99GreenCummins

That guy....
So I'm trying to stock up truck toolbox and leave the tools in it.

I am thinking a mechanics tool kit from craftsman or something similar, crescent wrenches, screwdrivers and some wire, connectors and crimp tool. I'll put a jack, my electric impact and sockets in during long trips. Already have my jumper cables, pipe wrench and few extra fluids(farm necessities).

What's in your toolbox you can't live without?

If you're driving a 12 valve, carry several gallons of oil.
At least, that's been my experience. :hehe:

Mark.

In my daily driver I have a craftsman tool kit similar to This one. I also keep a gallon of oil, antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, bottle jack, good jumper cables, one 20' strap, one 14' chain, a few clevices, a hitch for my convert-a-ball as well as a pintle hitch, funnel set, zip ties, tie wire, electrical tape, duct tape, caution and danger tape, WD40, and a few rags.

My other truck has the same stuff except it also has a big socket set, a huge crescent wrench, pipe wrenches, cheater pipe, trailer tire ramp for changing trailer tire flats, it has double the chains and straps and a few different sizes of straps.

I have straps a dime a dozen because of my job I am constantly taking them out of service because of light wear, I take these home and use them at home since they are still OK and way overkill for anything I plan to use them for.

A good flashlight goes a long way in the truck. Small ply bar, punch, chisel, ball peen, vice grips, and pair of cheap coveralls. Obviously the basic wrenches and socket assortment with screw drivers and pliers.

Give yourself tools to remove frozen or broken bolts. Especially on the farm. And if you do fence repair on the farm, buy a second tool box and start a new thread.

20 ton bottle jack. A few misc blocks of wood. A 4-way lug wrench. Steel tow cable. Chains. Straps. Hell....a small hardware store basically. LOL

Kobalt 227 piece tool kit in the plastic box.
Spare belt
Air compressor
Jump box and jumper cable
Multi meter
Stripper and butt connectors
Starter solenoid plunger and contacts (12 valve)
Ignition switch (12 valve)
Gallon of oil and coolant
Tire plugs and tool

Funny part is, I don't have a tool box. All that shet is behind the seat of my reg cab :hehe:

If you're driving a 12 valve, carry several gallons of oil.
At least, that's been my experience. :hehe:

Mark.

4th gen so I'm hoping I can keep it all inside for a few miles.

Sounds like some of you guys carry more tools in your truck than I do in my shop. :hehe:

Never though about pry bars. Sounds like I need to take a trip to Harbor freight. 06diesel, that was same kit I was eyeing on Amazon last night.

My main goal is to be prepared for a highway break down on road trip. 95% of the time, if my truck leaves the county its with the gooseneck after farm stuff or hauling a puller. Hate to call AAA with broken truck with trailer behind it.

When my truck was stranded on the beach at low tide and about 6 miles from anything I was glad I was semi prepared. In the long run a new ignition switch was needed, but lesson learned and I now carry a new spare.

I do carry extra tools on road trips though. Floor jack is numero uno. I don't bottle jack or scissor jack a dam thing on the side of the road. Daily routine here at home is not much to worry about, but it is nice to not have to bother someone else when you have a prob.

A few things I forgot, a #4 injector line for my 06, a belt, fuel filter, u-joint for both front and rear shafts, a flare or triangle set, first aide kit, flashlight, and most importantly personal protection in .45.

Back