Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
claytoncox

Name: claytoncox
Title: learnin'
Member`s Gallery
B model starting issue

I have a 3406b cat that every now and then when you go to start it the starter solenoid will just click. You can either jump the starter or crawl under it and turn the engine over by hand a tad and it will bust right off. It is a push button start. Could the solenoid be stopping in a dead spot so to say? my fathers b model also does it every so often but mine is about every other time you crank it. any ideas?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
Big Boy Toys

Name: Big Boy Toys
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Checked all your grounds over good? I assume since you've had it apart you have, just checking. I've seen grounds/loose wires do some similar things.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:09 AM   #3
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
Try pushing the button and then turning the key on next time

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 05-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #4
claytoncox

Member`s Gallery
yes, since ive had it tore down all connections have been checked several times.

I will try that next time chevota

Old 05-09-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
B model starting issue

I believe you just have a typical junk starter. Not uncommon to have them junk out of the box. We quit buying the 42MT for that reason. The smaller gear reduction ones seem to be better. At least there isn't a core on them so at least you know your getting new. And they're 1/2 the weight so they're easier to install. I've had to beat the 42MT with a hammer to get it to engage.

Make sure it's the actual starter clicking and not an external relay. If it is the starter don't waste your time having it rebuilt.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 05-09-2017 at 07:24 AM.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #6
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
I agree fully with the 39mts being better quality and much easier to install especially on trucks like volvos.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
claytoncox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
I believe you just have a typical junk starter. Not uncommon to have them junk out of the box. We quit buying the 42MT for that reason. The smaller gear reduction ones seem to be better. At least there isn't a core on them so at least you know your getting new. And they're 1/2 the weight so they're easier to install. I've had to beat the 42MT with a hammer to get it to engage.

Make sure it's the actual starter clicking and not an external relay. If it is the starter don't waste your time having it rebuilt.
thanks, would you happen to have the part number handy?

Old 05-09-2017, 09:46 PM   #8
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by claytoncox View Post
thanks, would you happen to have the part number handy?

39mt. It's a gear reduction starter.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #9
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
39mt. It's a gear reduction starter.

Make a big difference? I've got one in the box for my series 60 just haven't put it on yet.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:04 PM   #10
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram12vcummins View Post
Make a big difference? I've got one in the box for my series 60 just haven't put it on yet.

No will start the same. Just seem to be more reliable, no core so it's at least new, way easier to install.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #11
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
No will start the same. Just seem to be more reliable, no core so it's at least new, way easier to install.

I've read less power is required because of the gear reduction giving easier starts. But my starter is sh!tting the bed an I picked this one up on fort Garry industries open house. I wouldn't replace a good one but ya it's good it's not reman and the little less weight and size is a bonus for install .

Old 05-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #12
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I've read less power is required because of the gear reduction giving easier starts. But my starter is sh!tting the bed an I picked this one up on fort Garry industries open house. I wouldn't replace a good one but ya it's good it's not reman and the little less weight and size is a bonus for install .

Yea I don't know about less power. I'm just tired of junk parts. Everyone wants cheap anymore. I don't care if the thing is $1500 if it lasts. The places I go will not allow you to work on your truck on the property and your not allowed to pull start anyone. So a cheap starter will cost you $500+ to be towed. Not to mention some doors load 4-5 trucks in a line. If your in front and your discount starter is dead, everyone behind you is waiting for that wrecker not to mention the 80 other trucks scheduled for that door. No thanks.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:17 PM   #13
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yea I don't know about less power. I'm just tired of junk parts. Everyone wants cheap anymore. I don't care if the thing is $1500 if it lasts. The places I go will not allow you to work on your truck on the property and your not allowed to pull start anyone. So a cheap starter will cost you $500+ to be towed. Not to mention some doors load 4-5 trucks in a line. If your in front and your discount starter is dead, everyone behind you is waiting for that wrecker not to mention the 80 other trucks scheduled for that door. No thanks.

X2 on cheap parts. Haven't been at this long but learnt quickly spend the money on parts. I'd rather replace something that's in my shop that has 15% life left then find out something happened and the trucks dead on the road. I don't mind paying for someone else to do work I can do if they do it right. But I've seen too many crap jobs in the last few years that I don't trust shops.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #14
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
X2 on cheap parts. Haven't been at this long but learnt quickly spend the money on parts. I'd rather replace something that's in my shop that has 15% life left then find out something happened and the trucks dead on the road. I don't mind paying for someone else to do work I can do if they do it right. But I've seen too many crap jobs in the last few years that I don't trust shops.

This house branded junk is annoying. Paccar's TRP brand is chit, TRP means "Tomorrow's replaced part". Junkliners Alliance is just as bad, all Chinese chit.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #15
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
This house branded junk is annoying. Paccar's TRP brand is chit, TRP means "Tomorrow's replaced part". Junkliners Alliance is just as bad, all Chinese chit.

Ya only branded stuff I buy is trp windshields, lights, air cabin filters crap like that.
Seems common now even in automotive though. Napa is terrible for that.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:41 PM   #16
claytoncox

Member`s Gallery
Well between a full time job of driving a truck then a personal side business I finally got my father to hit the button to see what was making the clicking sound. It is indeed the external relay. Going to stop by the local napa and grab one and see if that does the trick. Whoever did all the wiring on this truck before I got it either deserves a award or a swift kick in between the legs. Its been a nightmare

Closed Thread