Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Injectables; Water, Meth, Nitrous, Ect.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #41
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
You do realize most engines in industry are advertised at rated horsepower, right?
You mean rated rpm?

Also that's not the point I was making. The point was at 1950 rpm and below there's ZERO difference between 430 470 and 500 ratings on the same engine. Do other engine makers do that?
 
Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 PM   #42
Signature600
 
Signature600's Avatar

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Jeffersonville, Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 11,064
The only way what you're saying would be correct is if the RPM changed for each rating...if the RPM stayed constant at each rating, then torque would increase accordingly for each rating, and the area under the curves for each engine rating would increase.

Chris
__________________


THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

 
Old 04-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #43
Leiffi
 
Leiffi's Avatar

Name: Leiffi
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2013
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,117
610 hp D16 Volvo has 68mm inducer GT47 and makes 800 hp with programming only. 75 mm turbo is 900 hp turbo.. Depends what exhaust side though. Programming is your problem, dont know if Leon has ever made a well running engine ?
 
Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #44
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
The only way what you're saying would be correct is if the RPM changed for each rating...if the RPM stayed constant at each rating, then torque would increase accordingly for each rating, and the area under the curves for each engine rating would increase.

Chris
I've checked probably 20 stock tunes and they're all the same. The torque defines all cells up until the one below rated rpm. The HP rating affects rated rpm only.
 
Old 04-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #45
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
610 hp D16 Volvo has 68mm inducer GT47 and makes 800 hp with programming only. 75 mm turbo is 900 hp turbo.. Depends what exhaust side though. Programming is your problem, dont know if Leon has ever made a well running engine ?


Yea but that's European socialist HP measure on a metric dyno sponsored by the government.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
 
Old 04-05-2017, 01:48 PM   #46
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
610 hp D16 Volvo has 68mm inducer GT47 and makes 800 hp with programming only. 75 mm turbo is 900 hp turbo.. Depends what exhaust side though. Programming is your problem, dont know if Leon has ever made a well running engine ?
I disagree. His tune for the 02 was perfect. It matched quite well. Put it with an 01 and it will run hot at high rpm. But that's to be expected.

I think my tune now is pretty damn good to be honest.


What's left to tune? The timing is good I haven't found anything there. Pulse width is good all across the range as far as I'm concerned.
 
Old 04-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #47
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I disagree. His tune for the 02 was perfect. It matched quite well. Put it with an 01 and it will run hot at high rpm. But that's to be expected.



I think my tune now is pretty damn good to be honest.





What's left to tune? The timing is good I haven't found anything there. Pulse width is good all across the range as far as I'm concerned.


If it's "pretty damn good" why do you need W/M?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
 
Old 04-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #48
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
If it's "pretty damn good" why do you need W/M?
I don't need it. I want to try it because I want to try it.

Does anyone actually "need" more than 500 hp?
 
Old 04-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #49
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 953
Also what else in my tune should I look at? I mean the output is pretty simple. Injector opens at x degrees BOI and stays open for Y degrees PW
 
Old 04-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #50
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I don't need it. I want to try it because I want to try it.



Does anyone actually "need" more than 500 hp?
Then there was no reason for this thread. You asked, we told you it's stupid but your mind was made up before you posted the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Also what else in my tune should I look at? I mean the output is pretty simple. Injector opens at x degrees BOI and stays open for Y degrees PW

Duration = heat. And it wouldn't matter what anyone told you. Just like the water you already know what you want so roll on.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
 
Old 04-07-2017, 02:51 AM   #51
Leiffi
 
Leiffi's Avatar

Name: Leiffi
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2013
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I disagree. His tune for the 02 was perfect. It matched quite well. Put it with an 01 and it will run hot at high rpm. But that's to be expected.

I think my tune now is pretty damn good to be honest.


What's left to tune? The timing is good I haven't found anything there. Pulse width is good all across the range as far as I'm concerned.
What is the actual start of injection at max load at those higher rpms ? Can you confirm it with some diagnostic ? Many times timing is not what software tuners think it is. Leon always blew his engine on dyno so I wouldnt trust his skills. He was commenting some bs like he can add so much timing that it washes cylinder liners, I dont think there is a cam that can even inject so early, it would be stupid for manufacturer to make a cam that injects past the piston bowl.

Is there even high EGT ? 760 celsius before turbo is ok for continuous use. Pre turbo temps are useless.
 
Old 04-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #52
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Then there was no reason for this thread. You asked, we told you it's stupid but your mind was made up before you posted the question.




Duration = heat. And it wouldn't matter what anyone told you. Just like the water you already know what you want so roll on.
I didn't ask if it was stupid. There has to be something behind it if the pikes peak truck is doing it. I asked if anyone had done it.
 
Old 04-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #53
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
What is the actual start of injection at max load at those higher rpms ? Can you confirm it with some diagnostic ? Many times timing is not what software tuners think it is. Leon always blew his engine on dyno so I wouldnt trust his skills. He was commenting some bs like he can add so much timing that it washes cylinder liners, I dont think there is a cam that can even inject so early, it would be stupid for manufacturer to make a cam that injects past the piston bowl.

Is there even high EGT ? 760 celsius before turbo is ok for continuous use. Pre turbo temps are useless.
Finally somebody asking the correct questions!

At 1650:

37 degrees PW
26.8 gph fuel delivery
14 degrees BOI
920f egt post turbo, it will not go higher, slowly creeps up there (2 degrees per second then stops)
36 psi boost

This is at 4500 feet on a 5.5% grade and 22 degrees Celsius out. However the coolant temp does creep up to around 195. I understand post turbo egt isn't the best by its all I have. Engine has 2 piece pistons. This is different than the tune Leon gave me.
 
Old 04-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #54
BRE
 
BRE's Avatar

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest MO
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 12,314
First time I've ever seen someone agree with him or get along with him.
I now know where we all stand...
__________________
Rick
07 Dodge 3500 - Tow mirrors, silencer ring MIA, Spectra air filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO
 
Old 04-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #55
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
First time I've ever seen someone agree with him or get along with him.
I now know where we all stand...


Lol yea guilt by association.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
 
Old 04-07-2017, 10:45 PM   #56
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 953
Beware!

Trucker math ahead!

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Turns out pw at 1650 is about 38.5 and gph is right at 30. This is confirmed with DDDL. I will do some logs tomorrow.

One gallon of diesel weighs 7.1 lbs

30 x 7.1 = 213 lbs of fuel per hour

Bsfc I've estimated at 0.33 lbs lfl fuel per horsepower hour. This is conservative of anything.

213 lbs / 0.33 = 645 hp at the crank

I like to use gph x 21 it's quick and easy but only works at full load and right where the engine is efficient. I have the bsfc chart for the series 60 if anyone wants.

5252 / 1650 rpm * 645 hp = 2053 torque at 1650 rpm

Now am I really making that power? Only a dyno will tell. What's typical losses in 11th gear (direct)?
 
Old 04-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #57
SmokinCAT
 
SmokinCAT's Avatar

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oh
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,740
How are you pulling the GPH?
 
Old 04-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #58
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
How are you pulling the GPH?
From the ecm through dddl. It's accurate. It's very accurate. Over a month it will be less than 5 gallons out.
 
Old 04-08-2017, 01:53 AM   #59
lorendiesel5.9
 
lorendiesel5.9's Avatar

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NE IA or the lower 48
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 3,906
I has suggestion. How's about I get my little Kitty tuned by Jfaulkner and I'll gross 80k, you can gross 75k since I don't wanna break your mighty Detroit and we'll go pull the Nodine Hill on 90 in Minnesota. Deal?
__________________
Rest in Peace Dex aka BFD99 6/2/12

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd
 
Old 04-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #60
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorendiesel5.9 View Post
I has suggestion. How's about I get my little Kitty tuned by Jfaulkner and I'll gross 80k, you can gross 75k since I don't wanna break your mighty Detroit and we'll go pull the Nodine Hill on 90 in Minnesota. Deal?
A mildly tuned 15 litre of any brand will make more power than this thing I'm not an idiot.
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.

 


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 - 2018, CompetitionDiesel.com
all information found on this site is property of www.competitiondiesel.com