Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #61
NakeDiesel

Name: NakeDiesel
Title: Smoke'n in the Mud
Member`s Gallery
Tonights update has some bad news in it, I went to install the stub shaft, and it won't compress enough to fit. The idiots made it exactly the length I asked for, but I told them that it would need to compress to fit into the ujoint pockets. I checked the other two and they are exactly the same way, no hope of getting them into the truck either. So I'm off to Tulsa in the morning to be at the driveline shop when they open at 8am to get them fixed.

I did manage to get the fuel lines fully hooked up and the air bled out of them. I also got the down pipe installed and figured out that I wouldn't have to modify it, so the full exhaust system is together, just not clamped until I get the flex line for the wastegate and can get it welded into the downpipe. I also shortened the last pipe for the cold side, just need to weld it together tomorrow and weld a bead around the other pipe to get that side finished. Here are some pictures of the cold side:

Click the image to open in full size.
Untitled by NakeDiesel, on Flickr

I pulled my year old battery tonight so that I can take it to wally world and get it exchanged so that i can crank the engine over. I also started filling up the transmission with oil and got the yoke bolted in.

T-9 days and counting.....

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 04-22-2011, 01:53 AM   #62
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
I love your intake.

I'll give you 20 bucks for it Maybe a 30 pack to sweeten the deal?

Old 04-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #63
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Lol, at the rate I'm going getting this thing running, might be the best deal yet.

Had a hell of a morning, Wife had a flat 20 miles from home the one day we didn't commute together, so I had to go change her tire, she picked up another screw in it. I made it to the driveshaft shop, and they dont' think they can get the stub shaft any shorter without resorting to some really expensive parts, so I'm going to be moving the transfer case back 3 inches, basically making the back holes the front holes and drilling 4 new holes in the frame to finish mounting it. That will give me 3" of travel on the stub and front driveshafts, and they are going to shorten the rear one 5". Just waiting around work for them to get that done, then it's off to get my battery exchanged and get her tire fixed.

Hopefully tonight, I can breath some fire into the truck and fire it off.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #64
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
Good luck man!
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Old 04-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #65
HIGH TECH RAM

Name: HIGH TECH RAM
Title: Haters!
Member`s Gallery
THE silicone 90 DEGREE elbow on your cold pipe will not stay on. Only try and use the boots in straight sections. Build looks good

Old 04-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #66
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Made a little progress yesterday, got all the driveshafts installed, and the transfer case moved back 3 inches and the 4 new 1/2" holes drilled in the frame to mount it. Also installed the electric fan and got the radiator back in the truck. Tranny and Transfer case are topped off with fluids, and the speedo plug is plugged up in the transfer case.

I know there will be issues with the 90 boot, and I have another 180 piece of pipe that will be used to finish it up once I get the truck running.

T-8 days to go, probably won't get much done today as I'm getting ready to leave for a wedding. I'm going to try and get the truck started tonight, we tried yesterday, but the engine is tight, and with the remote mounted battery, it's just not spinning it fast enough, so I'm going to rig up another battery up front to help get it primed and started for the first few times.

Here are some pics of the completed driveline.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #67
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Just got home from breathing life into the truck. It runs and sounds awesome. I am going to move the battery back up to the engine compartment, just too long of a run to spin the engine like it needs too. Im going to pick up a second solinoid to handle turning on main power from the rear disconnect. I'll retorque the head bolts in the morning, and check the valve lash as well.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #68
Smoke

Name: Smoke
Title: VP Puller Playin Catch-Up
Member`s Gallery
Sweet. Nice Pics. Now that it's running it's time for video...

Old 04-24-2011, 12:06 AM   #69
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
Yes.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:17 AM   #70
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I think you'll get by with the silicone 90* since it's after the charge air cooler so it won't be exposed to 350-550*F boosted air temps.
OEM 12v Block

Old 04-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #71
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Today, I relocated the battery to the engine compartment, created new shorter cables, ran wires back to the main switch, wired in a second solenoid in the engine compartment and wired the fan. *I retorqued all the head bolts, and set the last on all the valves. *I also hooked up my shifter, reinstalled the valve covers and fuel lines. *Just need to bleed the air out of them, finish up the trans mount, modify the down pipe to direct the wastegate into it, zip tie all the wires and hoses, and fix the leak in my radiator.

6 days till the first race.... Can't wait to try it out.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #72
neilden

Name: neilden
Title: ready to kick some ass
Member`s Gallery
I can't wait to see video man awsome build

Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #73
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
I managed to get a little bit accomplished last night, got the fuel lines bled and the truck restarted, starts really well and runs awesome, free revs and will spool the turbo to 10psi of boost.

I also added a 50/50 mix of water/glycol to my line between the fuel pressure gauge and the isolator, that was a huge pain in the butt. I tried filling it with a turkey baster, but that prevented air pockets from getting out and ended up using a syringe to fill it all the way up.

I also have the trans mount mounting hold located and drilled, just need to finish welding the mount up and install it now.

I also put together my 5volt source to power the factory tach sensor, took an old 12volt to cell phone charger, opened it up and ran wires to it and just need to hook it up to the sensor now, once I cut the old plug off the wiring harness, then I should have a tach again.

I've figured out the location for the wastegate to downpipe entrance, marked it, just need to cut the collar in half and weld it to the exhaust pipe and weld the flange to the stainless steel flex pipe.

Whats left? Need to finish plumbing the boost reference lines and mount a regulator to feed pressure into the top of the wastegate, all the fittings for that will be here tomorrow, weld up the tranny mount and the downpipe, then mount them and figure out if I'm going to need to add more length to the downpipe to clear the tranny mount or not. Clear all of the junk out of the bed of the truck, it's piled full of old parts that I've taken off the truck, Zip tie all the wiring up and make it secure and I think I'm pretty much done for Sunday.

Won't be any progress tonight I think, I'm attending my Step Daughters Softball game, so doubt I'll make it to the shop.

Sunday is getting closer by the minute.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #74
neilden

Member`s Gallery
Awsome job man keep up the good work your almost their

Old 04-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #75
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
I bet it was nice to hear it run again! Keep it up, you're almost there. And you're also reminding me of how much work I have to do.
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Old 04-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #76
NCOVEY

Name: NCOVEY
Title: More projects than brains
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakeDiesel View Post
I also added a 50/50 mix of water/glycol to my line between the fuel pressure gauge and the isolator, that was a huge pain in the butt. I tried filling it with a turkey baster, but that prevented air pockets from getting out and ended up using a syringe to fill it all the way up.
Next time get a hand operated vacuum pump for bleeding brakes, and fill the reservoir with the anti freeze mixture. Connect the vacuum line to the opposite end of the tubing that is attached to the gauge. Pull vacuum on the line, then flip the reservoir upside down, and release the vacuum. It should then pull the antifreeze mixture into the tubing all the way to the gauge.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #77
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
I did manage to get out to the shop tonight, managed to burn up the little cellphone charger testing out the tach, so I'm going to have to build something a little more rugged to get 5volts to the tach sensor or I might find something else that runs on 12 volts that will pickup the signal.

Here is my wastegate to downpipe piece all welded up, before you comment on the welds, I'm a novice welder at best, my brother usually does the welding as he has alot of experience, me, I do it when I have too.

Here it is installed

Tomorrow night I'll weld together the transmount and get it installed and hopefully get the exhaust fully installed again.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #78
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Well, last night was frustrating to say the least. I welded together the transmission mount we designed, and while that was cooling, I worked on getting the tach functional. I had picked up a 12 to 5 volt linear regulator from Radio Shack on the way home last night and soldered wires to it and then heat shrunk tubing for each wire to protect them against shorts, I then hooked them up to the power and tach wires, tested out and was getting 5 volts from the regulator. I tested the output from the sensor and it varied voltage depending on the distance to the surface. I cranked the truck over and nothing on the tach. I pulled out the truck manual and adjusted the height of the sensor according to what the book stated, and then when I started cranking the truck over, the needle on the tach started moving, but once the truck started, the tach went back to zero. I messed with it for an hour and couldn't get a reading any better than that. My brother will be back today, so I'll have him hook up his hand held o scope to it and see what we are getting out of the sensor.

I then moved to installing the transmission mount, after I beat it into the place and got one bolt hole lined up and a bolt in it, I moved to the other side and got two bolts in that side. But I have one bolt hold that's off a 1/4 of an inch, so I'm going to have to pull it back out again Friday night and drill that hole out some to get it to bolt in. So not a whole lot of progress last night.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #79
neilden

Member`s Gallery
Don't get discouraged man your almost their. I know that it can seam like nothing is working right as race time gets closer. Just keep plugging away at it and you'll get it done. As always keep up the good work!!!!

Old 04-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #80
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Just a quick update, I've got the transmission mount in and fully mounted in the truck, the last turbo boot clamp was found and installed, it's been hiding in the shop for 3 days. I have the air regulator mounted and all the hoses plumbed for the wastegate, regulator and gauge. I need to pull the downpipe out now and add 3 to 4 inches of length to it so that it will clear the trans mount, then I can finish hooking up the exhaust and tying up lines and wires up out of the way. I then need to top off the trans, and get the engine hot and add some stop leak to the radiator and see if I can get it to quit leaking at the joint of the plastic tank. Finally, need to finish cleaning out the cab and bed, and actually test the truck. I'll post some pictures up tonight when I get home.

Closed Thread