Colorado Diesel Parts

RickDLance

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Anyone close to me with a Colorado diesel?

I'd like to spend some time with one to see if there's anything we can do to help it.

Well we found a guy that let us use his brand new truck. We built a cold side boost tube, a hot side boost tube, and a air intake tube. Here is his feedback.

Rick,

I was using voice dictation on my phone on the drive home to jot down my observations on differences I noticed. I didn't expect to notice much with only the upgrades to the airflow. Well, not only do the changes look great, they also seem to improve on an already pretty awesome design from Chevy.

1) The truck seems to shift a little harder. This may indicate more responsiveness. If it is responsiveness, then that might be a positive. It did smooth out later on. This might also be the truck trying to engage 4wd. I was almost to the Lawrence exit before I notice the switch was in the wrong position. It didn't engage, though, and I made sure I didn't screw anything up when I got home.

2) You guys managed to break my 50 mile average fuel mileage through Kansas City where my new record is 32.5 MPG. This is a 2.0 MPG improvement over my past 30.5 MPG. This includes some slow traffic and a minor traffic jam.Most of the time my speed didn't exceed 60 MPH.

3) The highway RPMs are lower than before the new breathing tubes. I ran a steady 2000 RPM at 70 MPH where I now run 1800 RPMs at 70 MPH.

4) There is more underhood noise than before. For someone hoping to fool people into thinking this is a gas engine, this could be a negative. For me, I love people asking if it really has a diesel engine in it! A little more noise that screams 'Babymax' is a great thing.

5) I drove for a bit with the windows down at <40 MPH and could lightly hear the turbo kick in. Previously, it was nearly impossible to hear the turbo.

6) I can't be sure of this one, but it seems to accelerate to highway speeds on entrance ramps a little quicker. That might just be perception.

Also, since you have another Colorado that will be testing some parts, it might be good to find out if he has a tonneau cover on his or not when looking at MPG comparisons. I've read the tonneau cover will add 2-3 MPG, alone.

So far, it's looking good! I'll try to note any new observations and let you know. If you have any new ideas after we get moved, let me know and I'll try to get the truck to you.

Thank you very much!

Jason

Attachments

• 102_7188.JPG
    102_7188.JPG
    334.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 102_7186.JPG
    102_7186.JPG
    501 KB · Views: 0
  • 102_7133.JPG
    102_7133.JPG
    377.7 KB · Views: 0
Well we found a guy that let us use his brand new truck. We built a cold side boost tube, a hot side boost tube, and a air intake tube. Here is his feedback.

Rick,

I was using voice dictation on my phone on the drive home to jot down my observations on differences I noticed. I didn't expect to notice much with only the upgrades to the airflow. Well, not only do the changes look great, they also seem to improve on an already pretty awesome design from Chevy.

1) The truck seems to shift a little harder. This may indicate more responsiveness. If it is responsiveness, then that might be a positive. It did smooth out later on. This might also be the truck trying to engage 4wd. I was almost to the Lawrence exit before I notice the switch was in the wrong position. It didn't engage, though, and I made sure I didn't screw anything up when I got home.

2) You guys managed to break my 50 mile average fuel mileage through Kansas City where my new record is 32.5 MPG. This is a 2.0 MPG improvement over my past 30.5 MPG. This includes some slow traffic and a minor traffic jam.Most of the time my speed didn't exceed 60 MPH.

3) The highway RPMs are lower than before the new breathing tubes. I ran a steady 2000 RPM at 70 MPH where I now run 1800 RPMs at 70 MPH.

4) There is more underhood noise than before. For someone hoping to fool people into thinking this is a gas engine, this could be a negative. For me, I love people asking if it really has a diesel engine in it! A little more noise that screams 'Babymax' is a great thing.

5) I drove for a bit with the windows down at <40 MPH and could lightly hear the turbo kick in. Previously, it was nearly impossible to hear the turbo.

6) I can't be sure of this one, but it seems to accelerate to highway speeds on entrance ramps a little quicker. That might just be perception.

Also, since you have another Colorado that will be testing some parts, it might be good to find out if he has a tonneau cover on his or not when looking at MPG comparisons. I've read the tonneau cover will add 2-3 MPG, alone.

So far, it's looking good! I'll try to note any new observations and let you know. If you have any new ideas after we get moved, let me know and I'll try to get the truck to you.

Thank you very much!

Jason

Cool that new products are coming out, however I am a little worried about the knowledge of the source... I assume it came straight from the customers mouth but...

How do you get the same MPH at 200rpm difference?

Me too, but that's what he said. The only thing I can think of is the convertor lockup point may have been effected. Maybe it's load sensitive.

Me too, but that's what he said. The only thing I can think of is the convertor lockup point may have been effected. Maybe it's load sensitive.
Locked is locked. Chevy does SLIDE from 0% to 100% lockup but it doesn't stay at 90% lockup vs 100%.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

Locked is locked. Chevy does SLIDE from 0% to 100% lockup but it doesn't stay at 90% lockup vs 100%.

I'm not here to argue, and I posted what he said word for word.

I'm sure there is some sort of load calculation the computer figures for convertor lock up. Maybe we changed that and now it locks up earlier, maybe not. Not sure where you got the variable lock up deal.

Last edited:
I'm not here to argue, and I posted what he said word for word.

I'm sure there is some sort of load calculation the computer figures for convertor lock up. Maybe we changed that and now it locks up earlier, maybe not. Not sure where you got the variable lock up deal.
Variable lockup is a thing in GM transmission. Like my Cruze and my old 8.1L Suburban. Hold a RPM with a high but not max power delivery. You can feel it slide into lockup like a centrifugal clutch. It can take upwards of 3 seconds I've noticed.

In fact, it was a hard thing for transmission builders of the 4L series trans because GM converters would last but aftermarket wouldn't due to clutch material differences.

Variable lockup is a thing in GM transmission. Like my Cruze and my old 8.1L Suburban. Hold a RPM with a high but not max power delivery. You can feel it slide into lockup like a centrifugal clutch. It can take upwards of 3 seconds I've noticed.

In fact, it was a hard thing for transmission builders of the 4L series trans because GM converters would last but aftermarket wouldn't due to clutch material differences.

Unless the trans fluid is cold and then it slams into lock up like an old ATS TripleLok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back