Oil restrictor?

smokin247

I have a s300 63mm runs great but oil seals went at about 5000 miles as soon as it was put on my new engine. Rebuilt the turbo with quality kit and 360 bearings, well the turbo started leaking in under 100 miles. Am I supposed to be running a oil resteictor? It doesn't make sense to be leaking so early. I have 60-70 psi oil pressure around idle but I've never checked at high RPM. Any help would be great this truck has been down for years because of issue after issue after issue.

Oil pressure seems a bit high. Idk about the 2nd gens but on 3rd gens I believe the pressure relief for the oil filter bypass opens at 50psi. What size feed and drain do you have?

Last edited:
I've never ran a restrictor with an s300, and also always ran a #6 AN line, which is kinda big, and never have had a problem. My oil pressure on a mechanical gauge is over 80psi cold.

Stock oil feed and -10 drain if I remember correctly. I will double check. It's looks to be about the same size as the stock drain pipe. The only option I can think of is throw it in the garbage and buy a new turbo. I already wasted $200 on rebuilding it I should have bought a new one then. I'm cursed.

what side of the turbo is leaking? exhaust or intake? the exhaust side can get substantial carbon build up in a groove by the sealing ring. if you don't remove and clean this area they will leak sooner than later.

also the piston rings on either side arnt under any oil pressure. just the journal bearings take the oil PSI. you have a mechanical issue some how with the turbo.

Last edited:
I PMed you back OP. Start with the oil drain. More times than not the internal diameter of the AN style drains is not large enough and will not let oil back to pan quick enough.

Back