Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #1
Tony R

Name: Tony R
Title: New Build is For Sale.
Member`s Gallery
98.12v keeps shutting off while driving.

Started about 2 months ago. It would do it once every couple of weeks. Would be driving along and it would just die. I push the clutch in wait till the rpms hit 0 and it fires right back up. There other morning I was going to work and it died at the stoplight. I would restart and it would die again. It did this several times then finally stayed running then died two more times on the way to work. I ohmed out the solenoid and I got the same readings on it as I did a used one and a brand new. I then wiggled the wiring harness around while I had the meter on it and couldn't get the slightest indication of a short or a broken wire. I cleaned all my battery connections and the truck did great for about a week and then yesterday on the way home from work it died again and started right back up. Anybody got any thoughts. I'm kind of starting to lean toward a ignition switch.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
Started about 2 months ago. It would do it once every couple of weeks. Would be driving along and it would just die. I push the clutch in wait till the rpms hit 0 and it fires right back up. There other morning I was going to work and it died at the stoplight. I would restart and it would die again. It did this several times then finally stayed running then died two more times on the way to work. I ohmed out the solenoid and I got the same readings on it as I did a used one and a brand new. I then wiggled the wiring harness around while I had the meter on it and couldn't get the slightest indication of a short or a broken wire. I cleaned all my battery connections and the truck did great for about a week and then yesterday on the way home from work it died again and started right back up. Anybody got any thoughts. I'm kind of starting to lean toward a ignition switch.
The solenoid on the firewall possibly. Or the wire from positive terminal to the fuse box.

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
Tony R

Member`s Gallery
I dont think the relay on the firewall would have anything to do with it. The start and hold part of the coil is a completely different circuit.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
jkretzer

Name: jkretzer
Title: MegaCrank
Member`s Gallery
I had this happen years ago, turned out to be a loose power wire under the column right behind the steering wheel. that was my issue

56 chevy shortbed restomod, 2wd, cummins 4bt,
nv4500.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
AT THE BTM OF THE STEERING COLUMN IS A BIG WHITE PLUG...I kicked mne or something and it was just loose enough to do this same thing...

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 06-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
It's been 6-7 years since I had my '95, but if I remember correctly, one or both of these relays works the "Hold" side of the fuel solenoid.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1995 PDC.jpg (103.7 KB, 0 views)

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #7
Tony R

Member`s Gallery
I'm not sure if 95 is the same as the 98. My wiring diagram doesn't show it going to a relay just a 10 amp fuse in the dash with a couple things tied into the circuit. I'll check a couple of these mentioned above out and report back. Oddly enough before it started dieing I would be going down the road or coming to a stop and I would lose oil pressure. I hooked up a mechanical gauge and finally one day got it to act up. I still had 30 lbs of oil pressure but the gauge had dropped to 0. I researched a little bit and seen where some say it could need refreshed where it basically turns the gauge into a idiot light. It hasn't acted up since about a week before I cleaned the cables.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
BigPapa

Member`s Gallery
Here's the '98 Fuel/Ignition System circuit diagram:

And here is the '98 PDC. It's one or both the relays boxed in RED.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1998 FP Relay.jpg (80.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1998 PDC.jpg (234.8 KB, 0 views)

2003 Avalanche Z71

Old 06-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #9
Tony R

Member`s Gallery
I pulled the asd relay while it was running and the truck kept running. I shut it off and restarted and it fired right up. Not sure what the asd goes to.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #10
BigPapa

Member`s Gallery
Automatic Shut Down

2003 Avalanche Z71

Old 06-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #11
Tony R

Member`s Gallery
Correct but it doesn't shut down anything. The truck still.starts and shuts off as it should with the key.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #12
Tony R

Member`s Gallery
I changed the fuel filter on the truck. Not that I thought it was the problem but because it was due for one. The truck ran flawless for three weeks and now it started acting up again. Now it usually dies in the first 5 miles after setting either overnight or while I'm at work and it has been taking 5-7 tries to get it to run again. It starts then dies.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
Tie up the shutoff solenoid just to rule it and associated parts out. If that doesn't fix it, then you know it is fuel supply or IP related.

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #14
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
Tie up the shutoff solenoid just to rule it and associated parts out. If that doesn't fix it, then you know it is fuel supply or IP related.
This or when it shuts off, dont try to start. Pop The hood and see if the solenoid is down.... That would at least tell you if its something mechanical or wiring.... my vote is a weak solenoid or a wiring issue if it works sometimes. Low batteries can cause this. Also the wire coming from the battery is a fuseable link, I have been through a few of those too.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #15
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I changed the fuel filter on the truck. Not that I thought it was the problem but because it was due for one. The truck ran flawless for three weeks and now it started acting up again. Now it usually dies in the first 5 miles after setting either overnight or while I'm at work and it has been taking 5-7 tries to get it to run again. It starts then dies.
Your either sucking air and the fuels bleading down, after that description. Like was said, just pull over after it stalls and see if the solenoid is still pulled up. If it is electrical isn't the issue.

Check your overflow valve, if the spring has broken it will blead down like what your describing also.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #16
Tony R

Member`s Gallery
Mine dont have the fusible link. It's a 98 model. I would think if it was sucking air it wouldnt start as easy as it does. Batteries are almost new and turn the motor over just fine. I wondered about electrical part of it. My radio never flickers or anything.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #17
Tony R

Member`s Gallery
I checked everything that was mentioned above plus went over everything under the hood again. I cant get the voltage to drop any by shaking the harness or wiggling on the connectors.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #18
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Next time it dies, leave key on, pull over, pop hood latch and visually inspect the shutdown solenoid. I'd wager the shutdown solenoid will be down, in the off position.

From there, I'd pull out a multimeter and see if the keyed-on 12v power at the 3 wire shutdown connector is still showing positive 12v. If yes, I'd change out the shutdown solenoid.
OEM 12v Block

Old 07-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #19
Tony R

Member`s Gallery
It just done it about a hour ago. I pulled over and popped the hood and the shutdown solenoid was down. I'll put my meter in the truck tonight so when it does it again I'll check. I ohmed out three different solenoids I including the one on the truck and they all read the same. So that's why I was thinking this is good. I tried to push it up but it wouldnt hold. Maybe its breaking down and dropping out.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #20
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It just done it about a hour ago. I pulled over and popped the hood and the shutdown solenoid was down. I'll put my meter in the truck tonight so when it does it again I'll check. I ohmed out three different solenoids I including the one on the truck and they all read the same. So that's why I was thinking this is good. I tried to push it up but it wouldnt hold. Maybe its breaking down and dropping out.
You could rig up light to the hold circuit and watch it when you drive. If the light goes out, you know it is loosing power, if it doesn't go out when it shuts off then you know it is the solenoid.

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Closed Thread