Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
motormayhem

Name: motormayhem
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Transgo Shaft Seals / Lockup

Hi All,
Got a trans with ~1k on it since rebuild. At that time it also got a billet single disk converter with a 1800 stall speed. I want to throw a transgo shift kit in there to stiffen things up. Looking at the instructions, I see the kit comes with a few seals that go behind the front pump. I originally thought the transgo could be put in without pulling the transmission which is why I waited to shake out the rebuild first. My question is are those seals new factory type or are they a different design? Obviously with the rebuild I have brand new seals there, just out of the master rebuild kit. I’d hate to pull the transmission again to replace perfectly good seals if they are the same. I was hoping to open the boost valve orifice to 0.085in range, will I blow out those seals doing that? Thanks!
1997 Laramie SLT 2500 4x4 Longbed: New Trans@177K: (Billet TC, Transgo tow/HD shift kit), boost, pyro, trans temp, #6 cam plate, Airaid Intake/Filter, 4" straight pipe, 235K
1984 M1009 CUCV: 6.2L Detroit Diesel, TH400 with Allison TC, 1 Ton Axles, 71k

Old 01-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
SCHMITTY

Name: SCHMITTY
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
You’ll be fine . Many people including me don’t use those scarf cut seals that come in the shift kit. Metal clad factory type sealing rings are preferred.

There are several other fairly Inexpensive parts that go well with the shift kit. Servo cover , accumulator, strut, anchor , apply lever that’s stronger than stock- though you have to pull the tranny to change the apply lever

Old 01-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
SCHMITTY

Name: SCHMITTY
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
The only thing you have to worry about is bending the stock strut - easy fix, breaking the apply lever , 50$ part but have to drop the trans, snapped off input shaft if lock up is to hard. I think you’d be fine .085 it’s the other lock up mod that makes it hit real hard in conjunction. Drilling through the upper vb where the switch valve goes.

Snapping an input shaft will destroy the converter, , pump, and possibly more

Old 01-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
motormayhem

Name: motormayhem
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the reply. I ended up leaving the factory factory metallic seals in there. I did upgrade the strut while I was in there and didn't go too wild on the boost valve orifice (0.081in) and its a single disk so lockup hits firm but not crazy hard. Overall it seems to be working as it should.
1997 Laramie SLT 2500 4x4 Longbed: New Trans@177K: (Billet TC, Transgo tow/HD shift kit), boost, pyro, trans temp, #6 cam plate, Airaid Intake/Filter, 4" straight pipe, 235K
1984 M1009 CUCV: 6.2L Detroit Diesel, TH400 with Allison TC, 1 Ton Axles, 71k

Closed Thread