Popped HG

tmacie

Geen but Sooty
So, I seemed to have popped my head gasket on my 94. I gotta little carried away with the turbo upgrade...funny part is, it seems to be leaking coolant from under the #3 exhaust port and not into the oil or cyl.
Anyway, what do you suggest for upgrades? I can't afford to go all out but I'm getting taxes back so that will help.

Thanks,
Travis

Well, if you have to pull the head off anyway, and you're going to be running more boost, might as well go with o-rings, studs, and heavier valve springs. Then you can run it up to 65 pounds pretty reliably. Retorquing is a pain, but definitely required. :rules:

tmacie said:
So, I seemed to have popped my head gasket on my 94. I gotta little carried away with the turbo upgrade...funny part is, it seems to be leaking coolant from under the #3 exhaust port and not into the oil or cyl.
Anyway, what do you suggest for upgrades? I can't afford to go all out but I'm getting taxes back so that will help.

Thanks,
Travis

take my advice and do it right the first time or get pissed off the next time it blows.... just get it o-ringed with a marine gasket. 12mm studs and HD springs.
it might seem like a lot of money now, but think of the time you will save down the road :bang

-Josh

Thats what I was thinking, but there aren't any good shops around here that can o-ring, so im kinda stuck sending it out, or getting a new head. Any thoughts on shops?

Travis

Call around or buy a new head from pdwpower.com

Do it right the first time and not have to worry about it later. It sucks doing it 2 or 3 or 4 times over. Right Josh?

I'm planning on doing it right, as I have an S400 to go on for a set of twins ( yeah yeah, just street twins) haha.

Travis

the retorques are a major pain (intake, lines, return lines from the back few injectors and 24 nuts to retorque in the most difficult of spots)
but............... THE RELIABILTY IS WWWEEELLLLL WORTH THE TIME!!!

It also keeps you from worrying everytime you lay it to the floor and see the boost gauge take off!!

Get it o-ringed, studded and put a .010 over marine gasket or something like that on it and never worry about it again.

Lance

Back