Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
Dwayne Duke

Name: Dwayne Duke
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Timing ?

Howdy, im new to the site. My 95' 12v makes a noticable rattling noise when the TC is locked and under moderate acceleration. Sounds like something is wrong with the valves, but i re-adjusted valve clearances and the noise persists. Could it be the TC is on its last leg, or the timing slipped?? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
gstanfield

Name: gstanfield
Title: Are we there yet?
Member`s Gallery
Welcome to the site, it's a great place with lots of smart folks and a few like me

Does the truck shudder while it's making this noise? This should be a sign of converter troubles from what I've experienced on other vehicles. I'm still learning about these though so wait and someone smarter will chimie in soon.

George
1997 2500 SLT 4x4 #100 fuel plate, 16.5degrees timing, 3k GSK, Amsoil homemmade intake, Dodgezilla turbo, KDP killed, Dunrite converter & VB, 285/75R16's and autometer gauges.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
What RPM are you getting the rattle at?
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 09-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Dwayne Duke

Name: Dwayne Duke
Member`s Gallery
The truck doesnt shudder, it sounds more like valve clatter, but i adjusted the valve lash and its still there... I only hear it when tc is locked and the engine is lugged??? but at any cruising rpm its not there, only when i step on the accelerator...?

Old 09-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Flexplate could be cracked.....

Old 09-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Flesplate

If the timing slipped I would think you would notice more smoke at start up or a stumble on throttle up. Might even be tough to start. If this just started all of a sudden like..... I'd have to guess flex-plate.

Last edited by Snedge; 09-08-2006 at 01:33 PM.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Duke
Howdy, im new to the site. My 95' 12v makes a noticable rattling noise when the TC is locked and under moderate acceleration. Sounds like something is wrong with the valves, but i re-adjusted valve clearances and the noise persists. Could it be the TC is on its last leg, or the timing slipped?? Thanks in advance for any help.
Dwayne Duke Just curious to know if you found "your rattling noise"

Old 10-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
Burner

Name: Burner
Title: slow poke
Member`s Gallery
Is the noise faint or loud? It is only heard when the TC is locked...you can't hear it any other way?

Ok, call me crazy but 'pushrod' comes to mind for some reason?

Last edited by Burner; 10-17-2006 at 10:39 PM.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:11 AM   #9
clink

Name: clink
Member`s Gallery
My 96 4WD 3500 rattled under the same conditions. The end of the pivot bolt for the transfer case lever was touching the side of the case. I bent the steel flange through which the bolt passes away from the case slightly to reveal a shiny spot on the case. The rattle subsided. I posted a picture called Rattle.jpg at http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...lery.php?cat=2

Last edited by clink; 02-02-2007 at 06:22 AM.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
snow ram

Name: snow ram
Title: Newb
Member`s Gallery
there is a TSB about a rattle like this on dodges
the transfer case shifter rattles against something (like stated above) and caused one hell of a racket. i just got under my truck and added a little more spring tension to my shifter by bending the bracket out a little that the spring is attached to....
its much easier to understand when you get under the truck and see for yourself

Closed Thread