Bought a gooseneck need good tires

Got Smoke?

Bought a 20+4 single tandem last night currently has ST225/90D16's on it and 2 of them need to be replaced. Looking for recommendations on good radial 12 or 14 ply tires I plan to regularly travel 2-5 hrs one way from home with this trailer and my 97 on it going to races.

Maybe you can find some 235/85R16's off of a dually. I had the best luck with michelin all seasons. Bad part is the 16 inch tires aren't on the new duallies.

Mark, I've had good luck with LT 235-85-R16s, of ANY brand, on my trailers in the past and I typically haul as heavy, or heavier, than you plan to.

I avoid the ST235-80-16s like the plague, overrated on weight spec., flimsy construction and absolute JUNK, IMHO.

Mark.

Maybe you can find some 235/85R16's off of a dually. I had the best luck with michelin all seasons. Bad part is the 16 inch tires aren't on the new duallies.

Mark, I've had good luck with LT 235-85-R16s, of ANY brand, on my trailers in the past and I typically haul as heavy, or heavier, than you plan to.

I avoid the ST235-80-16s like the plague, overrated on weight spec., flimsy construction and absolute JUNK, IMHO.

Mark.

So you guys are both running 10ply LT tires on your goosenecks? Not 12 or 14 ply?

I can't remember what size but we are running 10 ply michelin tires on our gooseneck. Ours still has 16.5s. We haul almost every weekend.

We run 235/80R16 providers on our tandem dual trailers. They are just standard 10ply factory trailer tires. We have never blown one out but they do tend wear a little faster than the heavy duty ones. We run them due to the fact our neighbor at work is a trailer business and that is what comes on them from the factory and he has them in stock. They are dirt cheap. One issue is after awhile when they are getting worn down they seem to separate and you end up with about ten holes that leak slowly. We put about 60-70k miles a year on our trailers and load them up to 20k lbs. The best trailer tires were, back in the day when second gens were the new trucks and you could take a set of pickup tires and put them on the trailer once they were worn down some they would last for ever.

I went to 17.5 tires and wheels years ago. Best thing I ever did, I pull real heavy sometimes on a triple axle gooseneck.

14 ply here, let me find my post with them in it and I will get it here also.

Make sure you check the weight and pressure rating if you go with an aluminum rim. 14 Ply tires are supposed to be at 110 PSI.

Just an FYI those 14 ply Goodyears are about $350 a tire. I just had my local tire shop put 14 ply on my 14k GN and they are only about $150 a tire.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Carlisle 235/85/16 They are steel sidewall and belt, came recommended from the tire shop for the size trailer they are on. Trailer calls for 10 ply, I wanted to put on 12 ply, they suggested these for $25 more per tire and I said sign me up as long as they are a better tire, which they are.

Last edited:
We've had phenomenal success with our 235-85R16 Load Range G 14 ply Gladiator trailer tires. We sell them from our commercial shop and I am yet to have one come back in the typical shredded trailer tire fashion.

We've had phenomenal success with our 235-85R16 Load Range G 14 ply Gladiator trailer tires. We sell them from our commercial shop and I am yet to have one come back in the typical shredded trailer tire fashion.

I have some on these as well. And recently put Black Lion 14ply all around on my dual tandem. Don't have a lot of miles on them yet to really report on.

I have some on these as well. And recently put Black Lion 14ply all around on my dual tandem. Don't have a lot of miles on them yet to really report on.

I have 4 of the gladiators on my personal 14k gooseneck we use to tow our pull truck. The pull truck weighs 8200 (with the extra weights we bring) plus our diesel gator (prolly weighs 2500) and knock on wood we have never had an issue.

Another vote for 14 ply. We are running 235/80/16 Hancock’s on the dual tandem good neck. Yes they are expensive, but worth it.

We have 16.5” rims on the other two trailers. Both of those get 8.00-16.5 nylon tire. They literally last forever.

I ran LT tires. I would keep your eye out for some 17 inch wheels from a vehicle with the same bolt pattern. Then you could find take offs from a dually. The hates to spend money on good trailer tires, as it seemed they would get quite old, before the tread was worn out. I mean if you towed everyday, then you will probably wear them out before they get too old.

Back