Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 98-02 2nd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
AKDieseL

Name: AKDieseL
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Complete engine/tranny swap

I have a complete '99 that the engine has been removed and successfully swapped into an '00 (manufacture date 05/00), leaving me with the '00 engine and tranny in its bed.

Now I want to swap the complete power train from an '01 manual(maybe 01.5, has rear discs, limited slip rear end) into the '99 truck which had an auto in it, and vice versa. I plan on swapping engine, tranny, harnesses, pcms, dashes, steering columns, etc. So to clarify, I will have a '99 truck with '01?.5? Manual Power train and a '01 truck with a '00 auto power train.

My question is, since I'm swapping essentially everything, will I run into the same horror stories that I've been reading about on this forum? (Crank sensors, cams, timing covers, sensor voltages, etc.)

Just for clarity sake I do want both trucks fully operational. Just trying to manual to auto swap, and auto to manual swap these trucks.

Side question: now that I put this thought into writing, would a cab swap be easier or less headache free?

Sorry for the complex post. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Stormin08

Name: Stormin08
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
it sounds like the cab swap would be easier...

the other option would have to be verified by you...build date dependent...does both motors have the same sensors ??? ( cam / crank), if not, it can be the more painful route.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #3
AKDieseL

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin08 View Post
the other option would have to be verified by you...build date dependent...does both motors have the same sensors ??? ( cam / crank), if not, it can be the more painful route.
So if all sensors are the same, power train swap would be easier? If not, cab swap is easier? Or I convince my dad to just drive the '99 after i drop the engine/tranny in.

Since I am using proper wiring harnesses for engine years, I shouldn't run into sensor or communication issues will I? Even tho I'm putting an 05/2000 engine in a '99 truck?

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:17 AM   #4
Stormin08

Name: Stormin08
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
easiest route...either way, is keep ALL electronics with each drive train.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
AKDieseL

Member`s Gallery
Cool. Thanks for the help. I'm not too excited about a cab swap, or a power train swap for that matter. Last winter I had to put a gasser cab on my dad's truck. Not looking forward to that escapade again.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
AKDieseL

Member`s Gallery
Just realized cab swap won't work. Short bed vs long bed. White vs purple-ish.

Closed Thread