Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 09:24 PM   #21
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
If you have to alter the truck that much you obviously have the wrong one to start with

Hard to find used 100% like you want. And some of us dont like stock.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #22
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram12vcummins View Post
How do you guys go about welding the frame up? A metal slug on inside blocking hole?

I have a copper slug I hold on the back of the hole. Then sand with a flap wheel and fill and paint. Like it never happened.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #23
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
No, drop axle meaning the center of the spindle is higher than the spring pads. Center where the springs set is lower.

You need to use ALL of the parts off a stock AG130 truck. Thats the problem they ran into, tried to mix the parts and it drove like crap. Tried a 3 drop axle and short shackles or hangers (I cant remember which) and lowered the bags to compensate so it wasnt sitting high in the front.

If your spring pins dont have grease zirks its because someone ordered it that way. You can change them because if theyre not popping now they will be. Grease guns are hard to operate for some fleets I guess.

So there setup the bottom spring would have been angled up toward the frame. Then lowering the air pressure to drop the truck down wouldnt give the truck the support needed.

Im gonna have to find measurements off the spring to move the rear hanger the proper amount. And get the longer hangers. Once thats done if I dont like where my truck sits Ill have to either add shims to raise the truck or get a lower drop axle. Which I dont want as its low enough the way it is. Getting an ag130 complete would be easier but imagine it be tough find round here.

I meant the Pete photos you posted didnt have zirks. Yes mine do and I try to grease enough lol but its probably not enough. I know of guys that come off fleet and grease at oil changes.

Sorry if my questions are redundant. I like to gather as much info as I can. Learn what I can. I can fix stuff but have my limits and its nice to save on some r&d sometimes.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #24
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
If you have to alter the truck that much you obviously have the wrong one to start with
Hmmmm, I’ve never seen a vehicle that didn’t need modified.

Quote:
How do you guys go about welding the frame up? A metal slug on inside blocking hole?
I have a 2”x3”x1/2” copper plate I clamp on the back side. Spray it with anti spatter, and you can weld against it.

I usually close the hole, which on a 5/8” or 3/4” hole will fill it about half way, them move to another hole until I can lay my hand on the partially filled one. Then go back around and finish filling them.
Flap disc it smooth, paint it, and rock on.

Last edited by bracker8040; 12-13-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #25
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Hard to find used 100% like you want. And some of us dont like stock.

And harder to buy new like you want.

One thing I regret is putting another 8 bag back under this truck. Wish I would have had some experience with how rough it is to steer me in a different direction.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #26
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
Hmmmm, Ive never seen a vehicle that didn’t need modified.

I have a 2x3x1/2 copper plate I clamp on the back side. Spray it with anti spatter, and you can weld against it.

I usually close the hole, which on a 5/8 or 3/4 hole will fill it about half way, them move to another hole until I can lay my hand on the partially filled one. Then go back around and finish filling them.
Flap disc it smooth, paint it, and rock on.

I think Ill get some copper and clean my truck up some.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #27
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
When you start mixing and matching front end parts it really easy to throw off the camber/camber ( never can remember which is which) and that will mess with the return to center, and can/will cause bump steer.
The only way to use the short rear hanger/shackle assembly would be IF you could move the front of the spring up the same amount as the difference in length between the rear shackle/hanger assemblies.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #28
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I think I’ll get some copper and clean my truck up some.
I got a 2”x6”x1/2” copper bar from McMaster Carr. Cut it in half and gave a piece to a friend.
Cost about $35, iirc.

Last edited by bracker8040; 12-13-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #29
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
When you start mixing and matching front end parts it really easy to throw off the camber/camber ( never can remember which is which) and that will mess with the return to center, and can/will cause bump steer.
The only way to use the short rear hanger/shackle assembly would be IF you could move the front of the spring up the same amount as the difference in length between the rear shackle/hanger assemblies.

Theres no moving the front of my spring up. I would have to assume its at the same height relative to the frame as on an ag130 suspension then also to use the longer rear shackle.

So besides measuring a truck that has an ag130 on it. How does one go about making sure distance from front spring mount to the Center of the rear shackle is correct and that they are in the right spot horizontally to each other. On top of which how does the axle get centred on the new springs?

Old 12-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #30
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Before, during, and after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2569BB9A-BCEB-4E6F-B1BA-2B73C76F005B.jpg (378.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 367A5B8E-02F2-4A45-B01D-9FF8C6976D01.jpg (360.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 93C660C5-311B-4DD4-BE7E-6A5CF2E31369.jpg (223.5 KB, 0 views)

Old 12-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #31
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
There’s no moving the front of my spring up. I would have to assume it’s at the same height relative to the frame as on an ag130 suspension then also to use the longer rear shackle.

So besides measuring a truck that has an ag130 on it. How does one go about making sure distance from front spring mount to the Center of the rear shackle is correct and that they are in the right spot horizontally to each other. On top of which how does the axle get centred on the new springs?
The new spring assembly will have a centering pin.

You really need to have the spring there to get your front to rear measurement.

To get the rear shackle at the correct spot horizontally I would want a measurement from the top bolt to the bottom of the frame on an existing setup.

On my Freightliner Classic I took the front spring mount off, plated and welded the existing hole shut and redrilled it 1” higher, then swapped the rear shackle for one that was 1&3/8”shorter. Along with reconfiguring the spring pack, and a 5” drop axle I was able to get front end down 4.5”.

Last edited by bracker8040; 12-13-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:23 PM   #32
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The new spring assembly will have a centering pin.

You really need to have the spring there to get your front to rear measurement.

To get the rear shackle at the correct spot horizontally I would want a measurement from the top bolt to the bottom of the frame on an existing setup.

On my Freightliner Classic I took the front spring mount off, plated and welded the existing hole shut and redrilled it 1 higher, then swapped the rear shackle for one that was 1&3/8shorter. Along with reconfiguring the spring pack, and a 5 drop axle I was able to get front end down 4.5.

Ya somehow need to get near a truck with the suspension on I guess or find a wreck.

On Stengel website it mentions different springs for ag130. The question is will the taper spring linked up above have the Center pin to Center the axle on the proper spot on my truck. Assuming I cant move the front spring mount. I can look better tomorrow but on the kw I dont think its possible without a large amount of work. Its part of my tow hook and bumper mount.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #33
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
I would really like to know the measurement from the bottom of the frame to the center of the front spring eye on a factory AG130 setup.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #34
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I would really like to know the measurement from the bottom of the frame to the center of the front spring eye on a factory AG130 setup.

Ill look when another shows up.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #35
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
My truck is roughly 8 down on the front, 5.5 hanger and 4 shackle gibbing 9-9.5 at the back. 3 drop axle with 27.25 from front pin to Center of axle and the same to back pin.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #36
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
My truck is roughly 8” down on the front, 5.5” hanger and 4” shackle giving 9-9.5” at the back. 3” drop axle with 27.25” from front pin to Center of axle and the same to back pin.
So you’re saying that the center of the front spring eye is 8” below the bottom of the frame?

Last edited by bracker8040; 12-14-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #37
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
So youre saying that the center of the front spring eye is 8 below the bottom of the frame?

Yes. Keep in mind I did this in -30(-47 windchill) measuring off the ground, just rough measurements. If I get the truck into the shop Monday Ill get exact measurements.

Ill post proper measurements when I can measure right. And if I can find a truck with ag130 Ill try lift the hood and get all the same measurements. That part might take a while lol. I havent seen one in person as of yet.

Is there only one spring configuration for the ag130?

Old 12-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #38
bracker8040

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yes. Keep in mind I did this in -30(-47 windchill) measuring off the ground, just rough measurements. If I get the truck into the shop Monday I’ll get exact measurements.

I’ll post proper measurements when I can measure right. And if I can find a truck with ag130 I’ll try lift the hood and get all the same measurements. That part might take a while lol. I haven’t seen one in person as of yet.

Is there only one spring configuration for the ag130?
I’m not questioning your measurements, just a little surprised that the front spring eye is that far below the frame. My Classic was 4.25” below the frame when it was stock, and it’s closer now.

I’ve got a friend in Ontario with a 2019 389 that has an AG130. He’s supposed to get me some measurements Monday.

Last edited by bracker8040; 12-14-2019 at 08:43 PM.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:46 PM   #39
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Im not questioning your measurements, just a little surprised that the front spring eye is that far below the frame. My Classic was 4.25 below the frame when it was stock, and its closer now.

Ive got a friend in Ontario with a 2019 389 that has an AG130. Hes supposed to get me some measurements Monday.

Ya I was surprised too. In my mind it was just below the frame.

Mine is part of the tow hook and bumper mount.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #40
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
I got a real mutt here in the shop. Wester Star with air ride steer. Leveling valve is on the passenger side. Truck sits about 1-2 inches higher o the drivers side though. This look right the correct setup for this? Any ideas to get it level?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191230_224646.jpg (365.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191230_224655.jpg (431.7 KB, 0 views)

Closed Thread