Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 7.3 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

7.3 Powerstroke 99-03 Powerstroke Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
MrJohnWayne

Name: MrJohnWayne
Title: Powerstroke Grease Monkey
Member`s Gallery
Turbonetics Ball Bearing

I've heard that Turbonetics will be releasing a Ball Bearing for the SD powerstokes. I've seen a few people that work for TN on here and was just wondering if there is any news about it for me and others that might be wondering.

Thanks!!

Wildman Tunes, Oil, Air, and Fuel What else is there?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
UNBROKEN

Name: UNBROKEN
Title: Ezekiel 25:17
Member`s Gallery
Call up Brian at Black Widow Diesel....he has your answer.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
MrJohnWayne

Name: MrJohnWayne
Title: Powerstroke Grease Monkey
Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the advise Rich!

Wildman Tunes, Oil, Air, and Fuel What else is there?

Old 07-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
bbunting

Name: bbunting
Title: Black Widow Diesel
Member`s Gallery
The news is there is no news yet. The tighter tolerances in the chassis are proving to be a challenge, but we should have a pre production unit soon.
Spec turbos for 2.6-2.8-3.0 here
LINK
SuperFlow chassis dyno in house

Old 07-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
Powerstroke Racer

Name: Powerstroke Racer
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Did they figure out how to get all the casting sand out?
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!
Diesel Innovations Online Performance Diesel Products!

Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
bbunting

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Racer
Did they figure out how to get all the casting sand out?
Yes, and they also got rid of the surge at the same time.
LINK

Old 07-10-2007, 05:08 AM   #7
SINNER

Name: SINNER
Title: BallSoHard U
Member`s Gallery
How much do you think the ball bearings will help with spool up. heard the new TN's won't spool worth a damb.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
thetonka

Name: thetonka
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINNER
How much do you think the ball bearings will help with spool up. heard the new TN's won't spool worth a damb.

My 1.0 TN drop in spools just fine, yes there is lag but its plenty tolerable. IMHO it spools just as good as stock. If I wanted better spool up I would swap the .84 housing, which BB has offered several times. Great customer service.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
GREGROB

Name: GREGROB
Title: CUMMINGS KILLER
Member`s Gallery
Don't you think it's silly to go back to a .84 housing just to compensate for the turd spool up of the TN?

Sacrificing drive pressure and pull on the top end for a stock housing?
No thanks, Garrett BB comes with, and works well with a 1.0 and there are those who use 1.15 too with no issues on spool up.

Right now, bb is the better choice. The new TN unit may be great and I will give credit where credit is due. Not even out to compare yet though....

Makes you wonder if the current TN drop in unit is the end all be all, why is TN making a ball bearing unit such as the one Garrett has had for years.

My VIDEOS page Let me host your vids, upload until the server crashes, hahahaha

Old 07-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
bbunting

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGROB
Don't you think it's silly to go back to a .84 housing just to compensate for the turd spool up of the TN?

No thanks, Garrett BB comes with, and works well with a 1.0 and there are those who use 1.15 too with no issues on spool up.

Right now, bb is the better choice. The new TN unit may be great and I will give credit where credit is due. Not even out to compare yet though....

Makes you wonder if the current TN drop in unit is the end all be all, why is TN making a ball bearing unit such as the one Garrett has had for years.

FYI-nobody asked about the Garrett. I'd assume TN is making the ceramic ball bearing turbo due to demand.

The drive pressure with the TN .84 is LESS than the Garrett with the 1.00...PERIOD

And for your information IT IS NOT A STOCK HOUSING!!!

You can put a stock housing on the Garrett, and a 1.15-but neither will fit on the TN drop in. Wonder why??

I have run a Garrett with the 1.15 with 230 CC hybrids, and it was a laggy pig. You agreed LINK

Please stop the mis-information on all your anti TN posts. You run a 1.0 housing with a smaller than stock wheel.
Quote:
DIY Intake, Strait Pipe and 5" tip. 1.0 exhaust housing, WW, CCV mod
180cc Gregrob Stage 1's, Dp-Tuner F-5, ISSPROs, FTVB, Triple Disk Converter, A/C Mod, EBPV delete
LINK

Old 07-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
BIGRPOWR

Name: BIGRPOWR
Title: SBTTFMF
Member`s Gallery
greg- do you have any experience with drive pressure testing? if not then how would you know the TN would sacrifice drive pressure. TN has not had a diesel applicated turbo for the 7.3 as long as garett. but dont you see it as a good thing that TN is involved with their product and within a year or so of production they are already trying to improve? dont see the garrett surgemax turbo being improved....

to the OP- my guess is with the ceramic bb center section the 1.0 housing will spool better than the garrett. ceramics spin more freely than stainless ball bearings.
CONTACT US FOR ANYTHING DIESEL RELATED FROM INTAKES TO EXHAUST AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN
800-581-8986

Old 07-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
GREGROB

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunting
FYI-nobody asked about the Garrett. I'd assume TN is making the ceramic ball bearing turbo due to demand.
Well you know what they say about assumption. TN is making a ball bearing unit so they have something that competes with the other drop-in ball bearing alternative.

The drive pressure with the TN .84 is LESS than the Garrett with the 1.00...PERIOD
Really? I hadn't seen this information before. Care to post some data?

And for your information IT IS NOT A STOCK HOUSING!!!
Of course not, it's one you had made to fit on the TN. My point was it's still a .84 housing

You can put a stock housing on the Garrett, and a 1.15-but neither will fit on the TN drop in. Wonder why??

I have run a Garrett with the 1.15 with 230 CC hybrids, and it was a laggy pig. You agreed LINK
I hardly agreed it would be a laggy pig with 230cc hybrids, I felt it would be laggy with MY setup (long ways from 230cc) I haven't driven a truck with hybrids and a 1.15 so I couldn't comment. Sounds like you have, thanks for the info.

Please stop the mis-information on all your anti TN posts. You run a 1.0 housing with a smaller than stock wheel.
What does what I run have to do with anything? LMAO I have driven a truck with a TN, have friends who have tested them, and have educated myself on each turbo. That's where I base my opinion. Furthermore, that's what my post is: my opinion. How can you call my posts misinformation when I simply state my experience and opinion.
I feel that the Garrett BB is a better choice than the current TN drop in. That's all. Not a reflection on you, your company, or TN. If the Turbonetics unit pans out and is better than the Garrett bb for a comparable price, I would love to run it when I get ready to purchase a turbo. Although when I contacted you about an intercooler for a friend, I was told "uh oh, Banks would be better". Perhaps Banks has a drop in ball bearing alternative you would recommend to me rather than the choices you have to offer?
Sure glad you're not the only one who sells TN/Spearco
Greg

Old 07-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #13
GREGROB

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGRPOWR
greg- do you have any experience with drive pressure testing? if not then how would you know the TN would sacrifice drive pressure. TN has not had a diesel applicated turbo for the 7.3 as long as garett. but dont you see it as a good thing that TN is involved with their product and within a year or so of production they are already trying to improve? dont see the garrett surgemax turbo being improved....

to the OP- my guess is with the ceramic bb center section the 1.0 housing will spool better than the garrett. ceramics spin more freely than stainless ball bearings.
Mike, very good points. I have not tested drive pressure directly with the two turbos in question. My point is I wouldn't want to run the .84 housing regardless. I know what the 1.0 housing did for my stock turbo and I wouldn't want to go back to an 84. The garret comes with a 1.0, the TN comes with a 1.0 I have directly compared spool up, driveability, and performance with each turbo and I can tell you the Garrett beats the TN hands down.

It is great to see TN improving their product and investing more time and R&D to diesel, that's good for us.
Like I said, if the TN BB unit pans out and is a better choice than the GTP 38R, I would love to run it.

Good point about the ceramic vs stainless bearings too. If the TN unit is reliable sounds like it will be the ticket. Of course it's speculation until it's released and we see how it does in the real world. Same with anything.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
csipsd

Name: csipsd
Title: Mater, like Towmater
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I tested the TN and BB turbos with many different housings... TN with 1.00 housing was 1:1 to about 33-34 psi, TN with .84 was 1:1 to about 25-27... POS turbo (you know the one) was 1:1 to about 24-27 psi with the 1.00 housing, with the 1.15 housing it is 1:1 up to about 36 psi but it is a LAGGY PIG of a surging wounder...

No thanks, Garrett BB comes with, and works well with a 1.0 and there are those who use 1.15 too with no issues on spool up.I have lots of issues with spool... Not to mention SURGE...

Right now, BB is the better choice. Sure it is... If you like surge, oil leaks, no warranty, no service if you have issue's, and then try and get one rebuilt... The new TN unit may be great and I will give credit where credit is due. Not even out to compare yet though....

I think TN is making a BB drop in because the market is asking for a reliable, rebuild able, no surge drop in replacement...

Garret knows they have a POS turbo, but they were not willing to fix it because they were the only one making a "high performance" (there words) drop in replacement. Maybe, someday... they will fix the surge, leaking oil seals, and make it rebuild able... but until that time it is the biggest (in your word) TURD of a turbo...

Old 07-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #15
csipsd

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yes, and they also got rid of the surge at the same time.

SNap... Nice!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #16
thetonka

Name: thetonka
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I did my research when I selected the TN turbo. I was not looking for a hot rod turbo, this is a tow rig. At the time the .84 housing was not available, neither was the ceramic coating. Like I have said BB has offered several times to help me upgrade, and even offered to swap the housings just to try it out. I have other things I want to fix first and I am now looking at single shots so the 1.0 might just stay. I like it.

When I did my research I found the Garrett to have quite a few stories of problems, granted just as many have no problems. I talked to some buddies in the import tuner world and all I got was praise about Turbonetics products and service. When ever Garretts service comes up all you get is arguments, noone argues about Turbonetics service. The stories that concerned me the most were about the surge. Now many don't have surge, but some do. Didn't like my chance, especially given the horror stories about service. I got a chance to ride in a guys truck with the Garrett and unloaded it surged pretty bad. I tow a BIG trailer and just can't take the chance. Add to all this the increase in price and the cost of rebuilding a Garrett sold me on the TN drop in. I was taking a chance buying it as in November when I bought it there weren't many units out there but the stories of Turbonetics in other markets were encouraging.

The way I see it the Garrett WAS the top performance turbo as for many years it was really the only one that was a drop in. Turbonetics has a lot of experience with performance turbo applications and has brought that experience to the diesel performance market. Competition ALWAYS benefits the customers and it shouldn't be long before Garrett starts feeling the pain and makes some changes. That is a good thing.

I don't regret my purchase, though my timing sucked and I wish I could have gotten the coating at time of purchase . I don't really have a personal preference for any of the vendors on here but I will say that BB is one of the best, and will do business with him again if he sells something I want/need that fits my requirements.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #17
bbunting

Member`s Gallery
The difference between facts, and opinions would be the fact part.

I didn't ask someone, or ride in something, or read something. I actually tested and owned both.

Here is another example of someone that badmouths something that brings him such joy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lott2.jpg (79.0 KB, 123 views)
LINK

Last edited by bbunting; 07-11-2007 at 08:57 PM.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #18
hotstik

Name: hotstik
Title: I Like Zip-Ties
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Here is another example of someone that badmouths something that brings him such joy

Judging by that grin and the thumbs-up, I'm guessing he likes such a shuperior product.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #19
mattymx

Name: mattymx
Title: SoCAPS Officer
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The difference between facts, and opinions would be the fact part.

I didn't ask someone, or ride in something, or read something. I actually tested and owned both.

I never thought I would see that!!!!
From Joe's issues with the BB failing and being left with out a turbo made my choise for a TN even easier. You cant beat the service Black Widow and TN provide. I am a customer of both of them for life. Now if TN would only make a drop in for the OBS..................

2002 Excursion PSD 4x4 XLT Premium
<><

Old 07-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #20
csipsd

Member`s Gallery
Well the TN BB is out and running on a few rigs with from what has been posted GREAT results!!! WOOHOO!!!

Closed Thread