All I can say is turbonetics makes one SWEET looking turbo!!!

csipsd

Mater, like Towmater
Well, stayed up until 12 lastnight pulling the old POS BB and cleaning the Y pipes and IC tubes. Painted them red and will be doing the install after I fix pancakes for the kiddos this morning!

One question, anyway to fix a leaking up pipe at the flange? Just for a few days?

Attachments

• P9300010.JPG
    P9300010.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 126
  • P9300011.JPG
    P9300011.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 73
  • leaking up pipes2.JPG
    leaking up pipes2.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 79
  • P9300009.JPG
    P9300009.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 114
csipsd,

I have the same turbo ( I think?). It's just labeled different because it didn't come from Turbonetics. It seems to be pretty strong, but just a little laggy. Let me know what you think of it.

http://www.timsturbos.com/T61RR_Turbocharger.html

Did you take yours off because you don't like the ballbearing turbos in general? Or was there some kind of problem with yours specifically?

Ben

Last edited:
I took mine off because Garret basically gave me the big middle finger on a POS turbo that came that way from the factory... From day one it leaked oil thru the compressor oil seal, filling my IC with oil and making my truck smoke like a old mini van. Then came the surge... worse then stock, could not pull a trailer in anything close to 13-15# with out the ppfppgpgpgpfpdpfppdpfpdp if surge. So after waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and then waiting some more, Someone told my story to TN and they helped me out... Call Brian about the TN turbo warranty... Garret needs to read up on it, there selling a POS with NO guaranty!

As you can tell I am a little bitter about the whole thing.

DCSpecial said:
Sooo.....you didn't like the Ball Bearing??

May I ask why?

I loved the idea of a BB, I loved the sound of the BB, loved the spool of the BB... BUT Hated the surge, hated the oil leaks, hated the oil blowing past the compressor oil seal, and hated the lack of warranty and costumer service

csipsd said:
I loved the idea of a BB, I loved the sound of the BB, loved the spool of the BB... BUT Hated the surge, hated the oil leaks, hated the oil blowing past the compressor oil seal, and hated the lack of warranty and costumer service

Interesting...I'm definately looking forward to your impressions of the turbonetics turbo..

Anyone know if the turbonetics are easy/cheap to rebuild if you need to??

Very cheap and very easy to rebuild, plus they have a 1 year NO Hassle return policy... Try that with Garret... So far I like it, need to get my boost gauge fixed, I pinched the line yesterday. Going for a 200 mile drive today!

Good to hear.
I know Garrett is expensive to rebuild...pretty much a throw away at that point almost..

How would you compare the spooling of the turbonetics vs. the Garrett??

DCSpecial said:
Good to hear.
I know Garrett is expensive to rebuild...pretty much a throw away at that point almost..

How would you compare the spooling of the turbonetics vs. the Garrett??

Yes, how would you compare the spooling??? I've never been in a truck with a ballbearing turbo so I would like to know. Like I said mine seems a little laggy!:blahblah1:

Ben

csipsd said:
I took mine off because Garret basically gave me the big middle finger on a POS turbo that came that way from the factory... From day one it leaked oil thru the compressor oil seal, filling my IC with oil and making my truck smoke like a old mini van. Then came the surge... worse then stock, could not pull a trailer in anything close to 13-15# with out the ppfppgpgpgpfpdpfppdpfpdp if surge. So after waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and then waiting some more, Someone told my story to TN and they helped me out... Call Brian about the TN turbo warranty... Garret needs to read up on it, there selling a POS with NO guaranty!

As you can tell I am a little bitter about the whole thing.

I'm sorry you have those feelings but Garrett is not who you should be mad at but rather your choice of vendor. I went to bat for you but since I did not sell the turbo I am not guaranteed a replacement or refund of my money. The dealer you purchased it from should have taken the necessary steps to take care of the problem for you. That said Garrett was/is building turbo they want you to try.

Last edited:
Powerstroke Racer said:
I'm sorry you have those feelings but Garrett is not who you should be mad at but rather your choice of vendor. I went to bat for you but since I did not sell the turbo I am not guaranteed a replacement or refund of my money. The dealer you purchased it from should have taken the necessary steps to take care of the problem for you. That said Garrett was/is building turbo they want you to try.

Like I said over there, I still think you are one of the best vendors out there. You went to bat for me and I didnt get it from you! I just could not have the truck down anytime... Turbonetics offered me this turbo to try free of charge. Even over nighted it to me! Now I can send the BB to you or Garret and figure out if they will do anything.

Hey csipsd,

Had any more time behind the wheel with the TN on to give a good comparision of it with the Ball Bearing on your truck??

I'm mainly interested in how well it spools, any surge?, noise level compared to the Ball Bearing, etc..

DC,

Mine sounds pretty loud, but I've never heard a Ballbearing so I can't really compare.I do know that once I chipped my truck I had horrible surge with the stock turbo. Now I have absolutly no surge with the TN style turbo. Just my .02

I would also like to hear more about the comparison of the two.

Ben

The Garret sounds better Ie whine, but it surged bad...

Took the wifes car up to portland yesterday,trailered, and not one bit of surge. It does seem a little more laggy then the BB but once it hits it pulls hard

Back