4R100 Stand-alone

Bobus

Powerstroked
So I was thinking that at one time I remembered reading that you can run the 4R100 without any controller in a swap rig. Am I mis-remembering or is it possible? How good are the US Shift units or the HGM Units for trans controllers if I do go that route?

I am on this same path so I'm in for advice.

I though I remember Brad M saying it was possible.

I spoke with Jason at Transtuner last week to see what he recommended with the 4R100. He said he has had some failures with the new PCS setup but didn't specify what exactly. Said getting it fixed or replaced is not timely either. He went on to say he'd prefer to have it controlled with factory components and computer, but that is beyond the scope of my understanding.

I have heard nothing about US shift or HGM other than Jason saying the Quick4 must be working pretty good if DCS is using it for most of their conversions. I have not reached out to DCS for input yet.

Is this for the Excursion in your sig? I am doing the same thing, tempting to do a 47RH with a Compushift.

Yea, I originally went with the 47RH to cut down on cost, but the trans only lasted 8 months and is now slipping like crazy, so I was debating sticking a 4R100 behind it. But just checking out some options before I go spending $$. And myself like you am in no hurry to have to figure out trans tuning.

I'm assuming the 47RH was stock. What power level are you at? At reasonable power levels it would seem a 400hp 47RH could be built reliable for around $3000.

Regardless, I have heard good things about 4R100's behing a Cummins. Most use PCS, not much on Quick4, and I even search around for something.

Last edited:
Stock on both trans and engine, I figure it was just a used trans that was cleaned up and had a good story to go with it.

I am using PCS on my 4R100 and it does well.I would like a little firmer shifts but it works.It was programmed by Mo Smoke off this site.I have heard some like the easy to use US Shift though.

Back